Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.
christloves said:
Setting the dish elevation to 40.6 can only realy be done after a signal of some kind is found

No.

What you should do is the following:

• Make sure the mast is vertical 100%
  • Setup your motor elevation equal to your latitude
  • Setup your dish elevation to 40 degrees
  • Everthing should be aimed to your true south
  • Use your receiver's USALS capability o move the dish to a nearby satellite.
  • Make sure you are using a live transponder
  • Once dish stops, check the signal level and quality
  • If no lock (no quality), then stand behind the motor and move the whole assembly slowly East or West a few degrees.
  • If still no lock (no quality), adjust the dish elevation up/down a fraction of a degree and do the motor sweep again.

Sadoun said:
No.

What you should do is the following:
  • Make sure the mast is vertical 100%
  • Setup your motor elevation equal to your latitude
  • Setup your dish elevation to 40 degrees
  • Everthing should be aimed to your true south
  • Use your receiver's USALS capability o move the dish to a nearby satellite.
  • Make sure you are using a live transponder
  • Once dish stops, check the signal level and quality
  • If no lock (no quality), then stand behind the motor and move the whole assembly slowly East or West a few degrees.
  • If still no lock (no quality), adjust the dish elevation up/down a fraction of a degree and do the motor sweep again.
So your saying to first aim the dish to "true south" (not to your true south satellite), then use your receiver USALS feature to turn the dish to the true south satellite and then fine tune it to gain the best signal??

No. I first aimed my dish to true south, as best as I could using a hand held compass. Then I used the receiver USALS to turn to AMC 5, long 79, where mine is 80.3. I originally set the HH90 to 26.1 degrees and the dish to 40.

Once I was supposed to be on AMC 5, I did the East to West Adjustment and the dish elevation adjustment. I even adjusted the dish on the motor arm up and down to try to peak my signal. NOTHING gave me a usable signal at AMC 5. I then tried other satellites. Went to galaxy 10 r and alwayse ended up with dish networks. I had to lower my dish elevation to 36 to get a usable signal.

thiggin2 said:
So your saying to first aim the dish to "true south" (not to your true south satellite), then use your receiver USALS feature to turn the dish to the true south satellite and then fine tune it to gain the best signal??

Yes you got it.

I Got it! what lo should I use for the circular output on the QPH 31 LNB. I am using 10750 for the liniar... How do I know which satellite transmit in circular vs. Liniar. I recieve several satellites with the motor now.... Now I need to find decent English chanells.... Any suggestions.

christloves said:
I Got it! what lo should I use for the circular output on the QPH 31 LNB. I am using 10750 for the liniar... How do I know which satellite transmit in circular vs. Liniar. I recieve several satellites with the motor now.... Now I need to find decent English chanells.... Any suggestions.

The outputs are marked, L and C

The Circular L.O. should be set to 11250

christloves said:
Thank you SCOTTC98. It was your suggestion that finally got me there.

No problem!! :)

Totally missed your post about having the Invacom LNB (got the same one). Otherwise I would have added the LO freq for both L and C

A Circular LNB is a installer's friend!! (....when you don't have a high tech signal meter :))

christloves said:
How do I know which satellite transmit in circular vs. Liniar.
The following birds are DBS (circular), from east to west:

-Echostar 3/Rainbow 1 at 61.5w

-DirecTV 1 at 72.5w (there is nothing we can see on this bird)

-Nimiq 2 at 82w

-Nimiq 1/3 at 91w (note that there is also a FSS bird here, Galaxy 11, which uses the linear side of your Invacom. So you can pick up three satellites at once with your dish pointed here, Nimiq 1 and 3 circular and G-11 linear)

-DirecTV 1R/4S/8 at 101w (there is nothing we can see on these birds, but AMC-4 is also here, and you can see it with the linear side of your Invacom)

-DirecTV 5/Echostar 6/8 at 110w (there is nothing we can see on the DirecTV 5 bird, but we can see Echostar 6 and 8, which are at the same location, with the circular side of the Invacom)

-DirecTV 7s/Echostar 7 at 119w (again, nothing on the DirecTV bird, but the Echostar 7 satellite is parked in the same location and we can see NASA and a bunch of free radio channels with the circular side of the Invacom)

-Echostar 5 at 129w (not sure if there's anything FTA here yet, it's circular though... and there's also a linear satellite parked in the same position, IA-7, which has some great old movies!)

-Echostar 1/2 at 148w (not much here, just the Dish101 channel)

All other satellites up there are linear.

Last edited:
PSB said:
AMC-9 @ 83.0W is your TRUE south satellite, this is where you should be aiming your dish when setting up a motorized system.

Using USALS any satellite close by will also work, ask here for a LIVE TP./channel just before you start to point the dish/motor.

Good idea to find and store your true south satellite without the motor, it will make refinding it a LOT easier!

Your true south satellite is always EXACTLY the same position as your longitude! (True South!)
Ok I have my DIsh installed and now ready to begin with the aiming part. I will be aiming it at AMC9 since this is my true south bird. Now what TP freq should I be using??? I'm using a Fortec Classic NA, 90U dish, HH90 motor with a SNH031 LNB.

Last edited:
Here are some Hughesnet (Direcway) TP's:
12060 Vertical 30000
12140 Vertical 30000
12160 Horizontal 30000
12180 Vertical 30000
None of these will have a picture, but they have strong signals to lock onto.

Al

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts