Here come the price increases

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am referring to the $15/mo in HD access fees, not movie channel packages. I'm paying extra for HD when all I want is HD. I could care less about the 500 SD channels.

Where are you getting 15 from?

HD access is 10

Are you added HD Access + HD extra pack
or HD acces + recvier fee

Looking at the document it looks like they finalized the new rates back in November.

I think its not a good idea to get rid of the Plus DVR and Plus HD DVR packages, it was the Plus HD DVR package that got me to sign up for DirecTV.

The rate increase isnt bad, but when you figure in your losing XM on the same day it makes it seem like more.

Ok Didnt Direct TV Buy a huge stake in XM? Direct droping xm sounds like they are giving up on the service or trying to seperate there name with them. I remember charlie trying to buy a big chunk of sirius xm but the CEO of sirius didnt want that.I find it Highly Ironic that dish gets to keep sirius but direct looses it when they own a considerable amount of sirius. Ah business politics.

Where are you getting 15 from?

HD access is 10

Are you added HD Access + HD extra pack
or HD acces + recvier fee

HD Access + HD Extra Pack = $15

Like I said, all I really watch is HD. I feel like I'm paying too much already considering all the SD content is worthless to me, with the exception of the few channels like G4, IFC and AMC that I am forced to watch in SD.

I know it's not going to happen, but I wish a provider offered an HD-Only package that way I'm not paying (indirectly through subscriber fees paid by DTV to the broadcasters) for all the stuff I'll never watch.

At the very least, I'm pissed that DTV is jacking up the prices before we get any new channels. Heck, why take VS away if they were jacking the prices anyway?

I sincerely hope we get new national HD with the new satellite, but something inside tells me not to get my hopes up. I'm betting on mostly new HD PPVs.

. I remember charlie trying to buy a big chunk of sirius xm but the CEO of sirius didnt want that.

Charlie didn't try to buy a big chunk of Sirius. Charlie owned ( and still ownes a large part of Sirius bonds i.e. Sirius debt) Charlie has hoping that Sirius would default on the debt so that he could just step in and take over. But John Malone of Liberty Media and a major holder of DirecTv stock provided the financing needed so Sirius could pay off the bonds coming due. Charlie took a gamble he paid $.10 on the dollar to acquire the Sirius debt, and got repaid for the full amount that the debt was for.

HD Access + HD Extra Pack = $15

Like I said, all I really watch is HD. I feel like I'm paying too much already considering all the SD content is worthless to me, with the exception of the few channels like G4, IFC and AMC that I am forced to watch in SD.

I know it's not going to happen, but I wish a provider offered an HD-Only package that way I'm not paying (indirectly through subscriber fees paid by DTV to the broadcasters) for all the stuff I'll never watch.

At the very least, I'm pissed that DTV is jacking up the prices before we get any new channels. Heck, why take VS away if they were jacking the prices anyway?

I sincerely hope we get new national HD with the new satellite, but something inside tells me not to get my hopes up. I'm betting on mostly new HD PPVs.

Why did you order D* ?

ALL the channels I watch are already in HD.

As for getting new channels in HD, of course they will once the new sat is up and operational.

You mentioned 3 channels that you watch that are not in HD ....

Does the channel(s) have a HD feed or are they channels that are not being broadcast in HD ?

If they don't already have a HD feed, then you can't blame D* for not having them.

As for a provider that has an HD Only package, that would be DISH Network.

As for the price increases from D*, you should know that they go up some EVERY year, you've been here for 2 years at least.

fwiw, they go up at DN every year as well.

HD Extra package is YOUR CHOICE as far as paying for it, it's an option.

Aern't all the worthless SD channels just a channel that is not being broadcast in HD yet ? Which would mean ALL the channels are worthless to you.

Last year I read the same comments about how the price increase is going to cost D* subs, but that didn't happen.

well the customers are payin for the D12 they launched into orbit. so every jacked up price is paying for something.. not bc their fees to get programming contract agreement went up... just CEO wants to maintain that pocket money even though the D12 launch might of cost them billions of dollars.

Last year I read the same comments about how the price increase is going to cost D* subs, but that didn't happen.

Hmmm, according to their 3rd quarterly report:

"Net subscriber additions in the quarter declined to 136,000 as an increase in gross additions was more than offset by higher customer disconnects. The 8% increase in gross additions to 1,086,000 in the third quarter was mainly due to marketing of the AT&T/DIRECTV bundle which began in February 2009, as well as higher demand for HD and DVR services. Customer disconnects were higher in the quarter due to a higher monthly churn rate of 1.72% on a larger subscriber base. The increase in the churn rate was primarily due to stricter retention and upgrade policies, as well as more aggressive competitor promotions."

In short, they lost customers at a higher rate than previously. Averaging to 20% of their customers taking a walk per year. Thats a lot.

I think we just identified why they put the two year contracts in place. They were losing too many customers too quickly. Instead of trying to figure out why and fix those problems, they 'fixed' the symptom.

Hmmm, according to their 3rd quarterly report:

"Net subscriber additions in the quarter declined to 136,000 as an increase in gross additions was more than offset by higher customer disconnects. The 8% increase in gross additions to 1,086,000 in the third quarter was mainly due to marketing of the AT&T/DIRECTV bundle which began in February 2009, as well as higher demand for HD and DVR services. Customer disconnects were higher in the quarter due to a higher monthly churn rate of 1.72% on a larger subscriber base. The increase in the churn rate was primarily due to stricter retention and upgrade policies, as well as more aggressive competitor promotions."

In short, they lost customers at a higher rate than previously. Averaging to 20% of their customers taking a walk per year. Thats a lot.

I think we just identified why they put the two year contracts in place. They were losing too many customers too quickly. Instead of trying to figure out why and fix those problems, they 'fixed' the symptom.

2 year commits or 18 months are nothing new, they've been around for a long time now.

If you read back on the quarterly reports, they've had the churn problem for a long time too.

Doesnt seem that the contracts are slowing that down very much, in fact the churn is accelerating.

Off the top of my head, I'd guess its better deals offered by competitors, better bundling pricing and superior channel offerings becoming available from providers like uverse and fios.

Heck, comcasts offer to me for digital HD cable, internet and digital phone for only $30 more than i'm paying for internet alone seems like a pretty good deal.

like to point out those numbers also include people we cancel for going 3+ months with out paying there bill.

It seem to happen alot.

I am not trying to stereotype a persona but

it is usually someone who has Premier and feels they could not live with out premier and all themovie channels though they seldom watch said movie channels but refuses to downgrade to a smaller package .

No John Malone who owns Liberty Media gave SiriusXM money to pay off the debit from when charlie bought up all of SiriusXM debt , in which charlie tried taking over siriusxm by calling the bonds due, john malone step in to pay all the debt charlie had on Sirius XM to keep Dish form taking over by defacto rule.

Most peoples will only watch a few of their favority channels, and most other channels are junk to them that very or never will watch, but have to pay for tghose junks.

Where is that high school english teacher now? Was he able to parlay all those extra points into a small personal fortune and retire to a nice Caribbean island?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)