Hey MODS: We need a new forum: Blu-ray / HD Downloads WAR ZONE!

Paradox-SJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
San Jose, California
Now that the optical media battle portion of this war is over its time to focus on the 'final solution' part of the war.

Let’s look at a few reasons why people say BLU won and see how HD-Downloads (HD-Dwnlds) compares.

>Studio Support: Check....all of them are on board

>Security: Check....even better than BD+ and even our friends at SlyFox can’t break it

> Region coding: Check….

On the other hand BLU has the following advantage over HD-Dwnlds

>Lossless audio: For those that care (and most don’t)

> A better picture: But not so much better that MOST people will care

> A disk that you can keep and show your friends: This is BIG cos some many people love having a giant library of dick they’ve only watched once

> I don’t have

So MODS….lets get the war started and create a new section cos this one is to the death and someone is already BLU in the face from the fight.

Yeah I can here all you BLU birds already…but no one has fast enough internet connection. Ever heard of DOCSIS 3.0…well that problem is about to be solved...so if thats all you got...ya better tap-out now. :p

Lets get it on :hungry:

Well, that will be a quiet forum. Also, the apples vs. camshafts forum. :rolleyes:

Personally I will pass on this new warzone. :)

And I am not convinced that the "win" by BD was all about the superior format winning. I think economics played a considerable part as well, but that is neither here nor there.

and the future...is Downloads :D

Not until ISP's can provide universal broadband and much faster speeds then they're doing now and at a reasonable price. Folks aren't going to wait for a 1080p download on their 3Mbps DSL line, even their 6 Mbps cable connection won't cut it.

Not until ISP's can provide universal broadband and much faster speeds then they're doing now and at a reasonable price. Folks aren't going to wait for a 1080p download on their 3Mbps DSL line, even their 6 Mbps cable connection won't cut it.

16mb available in St. louis for like 40 a month through charter.

I pay 15 a month for 5mbs, and downloading isn't to bad - maybe an hour to get enough to stream the rest as you watch it.

My issue with HD content over "Live" (the one I have experience with) is that its a Rental service for movies.

Until you can purchase the titles outright, downloading is a once in awhile when drunk, and can't drive to the rental place to get some flix type thing.

People will eventually get tired of talking about the armistice or about how their side should have would have could have won if it was a fair fight. But it will take little longer than 24 hours.

DOCIS 3.0 is being roles out this year by comca$t....I am in a test area and i currently get 25mbs/2500

They wont have to do 1080P downloads as MOST people will be satified with 720p downloads (good enough)

5-7GB files come down in a flash and if your STB does any type of streaming/buffering you can start watching in min....

I watch 3 HD-Dwnlds this weekend from XBL...the quality and sound were 'good enough' and i waited 45 second or less to start watching them

DOCIS 3.0 is being roles out this year by comca$t....I am in a test area and i currently get 25mbs/2500

They wont have to do 1080P downloads as MOST people will be satified with 720p downloads (good enough)

5-7GB files come down in a flash and if your STB does any type od streaming you can start watching in min....

I don't debate that there are place with fast speeds out there, but I said universal. That's great for Comcast area's, I'm in TWC area, no speeds like that. I'm in an AT&T area, no Uverse here, too far out of the city (according to AT&T) and 6Mbps DSL is the best they can do, and if I was just a bit farter from the remote terminal I'd be limited to 3Mbps. 8 miles down the road is Verizon area but they won't be seeing FIOS for a long time, they still working on getting DSL to more of their rural coverage area.

And if 720p is OK then why does the vast marjoity here and other sites b*tch about the PQ on Fox compared to the 1080i networks? Or even the folks wanting to know when DBS companies are going 1080p, so IMHO 720p won't cut it.

I don't think there will be a war. :)
You see, HD DVD vs. Blu-ray - that was a deadly fight. One of two formats had to die for the other one to survive.
As for HD Downloads vs. Blu-ray - both can peacefully coexist for long time. There is place for both.
Like Cable coexists with Satellite. There is a competition for customers of course, but there is no deadly war.

There should be a generic High Def Content forum created in a couple weeks as things settle down IMO. Debates and arguments can continue there, but should focus on the various avenues to get HD Media (primarilly BD, VOD, etc). No need for a new war zone, just a place to discuss and keep up with HD stuffs.

I don't debate that there are place with fast speeds out there, but I said universal. That's great for Comcast area's, I'm in TWC area, no speeds like that. I'm in an AT&T area, no Uverse here, too far out of the city (according to AT&T) and 6Mbps DSL is the best they can do, and if I was just a bit farter from the remote terminal I'd be limited to 3Mbps. 8 miles down the road is Verizon area but they won't be seeing FIOS for a long time, they still working on getting DSL to more of their rural coverage area.

And if 720p is OK then why does the vast marjoity here and other sites b*tch about the PQ on Fox compared to the 1080i networks? Or even the folks wanting to know when DBS companies are going 1080p, so IMHO 720p won't cut it.
Your forgeting one important thing, most HDTV's sold are 720P.

My issue with HD content over "Live" (the one I have experience with) is that its a Rental service for movies.

Until you can purchase the titles outright, downloading is a once in awhile when drunk, and can't drive to the rental place to get some flix type thing.

Yep. And then if purchased, be allowed to back it up. Say, to optical media. And maybe download to print a nice cover, and uh..... Hmmmmm...... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)