Hey you can't watch that!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
The following is from the LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-canada19aug19,1,3714875.story?coll=la-headlines-technology

Note that it features fellow SatelliteGuys.US Staff member Mike Kohl who is one of our Moderators in our OTA Satellite Section

Hey, You Need a License to Watch That!

A sports fan is viewing the Games on Canadian satellite TV. FCC says he failed to go through the proper channels.
By David Colker Times Staff Writer

August 19, 2004

Sitting in front of the TV to watch the Olympics in his Playa del Rey condo, Elliott Chang looks innocent enough.

But don't be fooled. His TV is tuned to Canada's CBC network, and that makes Chang an outlaw.

The mild-mannered 48-year-old publicist is one of a stalwart group of U.S. sports fans who subscribe to a Canadian satellite TV service to get what Chang says is less jingoistic, more event-oriented coverage of the Athens games than is offered up by NBC.

Chang put out about $300 for the necessary equipment and pays $26 a month to the Bell ExpressVu satellite TV service in Toronto.

"I'm not pirating anything," he said this week.

Still, according to the Federal Communications Commission, he's in violation of a law that prevents couch potatoes in the U.S. from receiving programs from foreign satellite providers unless they have a special license to do so.

The process of getting TV from our neighbor to the north is a tad shady. People have to acquire specially tuned dishes and receivers. They're available for $100 to $400 each from numerous Internet suppliers, including Mike Kohl in the innocuous-sounding Plain, Wis. "I fill niche markets," Kohl said.

The next step is to sign up for service with Bell ExpressVu or competitor Star Choice. But to do that, a customer must show a valid address in Canada.

"I don't get involved with that," Kohl said. "But I can refer them."

Several "address brokers" on the Web will provide an address for $25 to $50 a year.

It's not likely that sports purists like Chang will make it onto "America's Most Wanted" anytime soon. Neither the FCC nor executives at the biggest U.S. satellite TV providers — DirecTV Group Inc. and EchoStar Communications Corp.'s Dish Network — could recall anyone ever getting cited.

Chang believes his only crime is wanting better TV. "You get a much more balanced perspective on the world, without all the flag-waving."

Tell it to the judge.

Bah! A real Journalist would have uncovered the truth. U.S. subcribers to Canadian DBS services do it for one reason, more HDTV!

This guy completely missed the real story.

No matter why he chose to write what he did I thank the LA Times for selecting SatelliteGuys.US to obtain their information. :)

I may be wrong but that guy in l.a will not be laughing now, there is no way he is watching the olympics on channel 335 and up because they are on nimiq 3 and the footprint will not reach, this story sounds fishy and I am sure bell is on it because they are hartless when it comes to people outside of canada recieving there signal if they are paying or not.

DCXFORDGM said:
I may be wrong but that guy in l.a will not be laughing now, there is no way he is watching the olympics on channel 335 and up because they are on nimiq 3 and the footprint will not reach, this story sounds fishy and I am sure bell is on it because they are hartless when it comes to people outside of canada recieving there signal if they are paying or not.

How many CBC's are available...I think 7 or 8
Not all of these are on N3.

Bell doesn't care where they're located...as long as they pay :D

I'm a gray market subscriber who asked to be part of the article. I declined, because I didnt get EVu for the Olympics...I got it for hockey :D

Bell is going to be losing a few customers in the deep south who can't get Evu now that N3 is up and running.

Agreed but he has lost over 60 channels and the special bundle channels for athens is on nimiq 2i so he is watching very limited coverage verus 24hour feed from cbc and nbc.

>> Bell is going to be losing a few customers in the deep south who can't get Evu now that N3 is up and running. <<

I will be one of them, if I lose any HD channels, or have any more service shut offs! I know BEV can not admit, that we exist; but to lose , what has to be a substantial amount of revenue, is pretty damn stupid.
:mad:

Charles Lapple said:
I will be one of them, if I lose any HD channels, or have any more service shut offs! I know BEV can not admit, that we exist; but to lose , what has to be a substantial amount of revenue, is pretty damn stupid.
:mad:
So why would Expressvu pay Telesat to lease DTV3? Must be a reason or two.

First of all, Expressvu must start to earn some $, BCE cannot continue to hide the ongoing negative cash flow (now over $1.5B) from their shareholders. This is especially more important now that Star Choice has been earning a profit for the last 6 months with less than 2/3 the # of subs. Customer retention of their legal Canadian subs is now priority #1.

Secondly, they know that for at least the next couple of years, Star Choice will have the hardware advantage in space and in the home. With Anik F2 scheduled to become operational in October and F3 in 2006; SC will then have the option to go to 64+ transponders whenever they wish. In addition, Expressvu has nothing to compete on price with SC's new receivers - the $99 (all prices Cdn) DSR315 DD5.1 receiver coming this fall, the dual HD tuner/DVR - DSR530 - also coming this fall @ $799 or less; plus a basic receiver @ $49.95 coming for the Christmas buying system.

For the last 5 years, Star Choice has been installing elliptical dishes for all new customers - even though it was only useful for their small % of bilingual and HD subs. Expressvu even to this date is not installing dual LNBF dishes for non HD new customers unless the sub pays extra. As a result, it has been very cost effective for long term Expressvu subs wanting to add a 2nd or 3rd receiver to changeover to SC instead. Given the blind eye that Expressvu has given to system security, one could presently actually make a profit doing this.

Then there is the rainfade issue - especially in the most western parts of Canada with the lower look angles of Expressvu vs SC. That is probably the main reason why Expressvu wanted to increase power @ 91

Charles look at this way, yes it is money for expressvu but your broker, most of them are starting to become pirate's to earn more money and keep you coming back, which = more money to them. Now even if you subscribe, most people also with a broker have two units, one subscribe basic subscription and another one with a open card. Also look at it this way you as a american are stealing from american tv providers because if you didn't have Vu you would be signed up with one of them, so you are removing revenue from american broadcasters system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts