Hi,multiple issues with the GI Innovation 450i

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Daisymae

Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
MS
First,I want you to know that I am electronically challenged! lol
Now that I got that out of the way,would somebody please help me(walk me thru-step by step) with connecting the wires and cables and such.
The problem is the color coding,according to the manual there should be certain colors for the wires but not all the wires are the colors the book specifies.
There are two cables with wires,one with 3 wires and one with 5 wires.
Its the 5 wire cable that's giving us fits! It has a brown,blue,black,red and (was) yellow-it got stripped off now its just a silver wire and the book-which only gives basic connections,gives the colors as orange, green and brown?? and then it doesn't tell you where to connect the other 2 wires-I mean it points you to where they go but doesn't specify which color wire goes where!
So if someone would explain this to me I would be grateful.
Also.I was reading some of the other posts and if I understand it correctly,even if we get this dish set back up it will need a convertor box of some sort for digital signal?? Is that right?
Thanks in advance,
Daisymae

That is an analog box. Not much analog left on satellite. There is some. To get the most benefit you need a dvb fta receiver such as a coolsat, traxis or pansat. You can use the Gi box to move the dish and the fta box to get the digital stations that are in the clear.

daisy the 5wire cable goes to the motor connections>but most likely you won't need all 5. Should be 2 bigger guage wires , usually red and white, to go to the ones marked "motor" , the smaller wires go to the Sensor/Feedback connections right next to where the motor wires go.
Its a connector with multiple places for wires, colored red on each end, and in 2 rows.
I have a brown one and a green one going to the middle 2 black slots on that connector-=top row of slots, for my motor's sensor. To be absolutely sure, take the cover plate off the satellite motor out at the dish, and see which 2 of the smaller wires are used at the motor. Without the feedback from the motor's sensor, the receiver can't calculate where the motor is aimed. Once you learn which 2 smaller wires, of the 5wire cable, are used at the motor, you'll have it figured out. If the motor doesn't move the right correctly, (goes east when you push the west button) -reverse the position of the 2 bigger motor wires, the red and the white.
If you still don't get it , post back and I'll try to move my GI550 around where I can read the labeling off the connectors better.

ok,I'm already lost,sorry.All the wires are the same size and they come out of the same cable.Would the red and white wires go to some connectors called an actuator,but there isn't a white wire.I have brown,blue,black,red and formerly yellow.
In the book,there is a diagram that shows the actuator jack connections on the back of the receiver for the first 3 wires-orange(+5v) green(pulse) and brown(ground) and they are the top three connectors,okay, seems simple enough, since I don't have an orange or a green,what color wires do I use?
ok,you suggested I look inside the motor and what,hook it up the same way at the receiver?
Hopefully I wont give you too much of a headache,LOL.

Daisymae

Hey,would one of those Gov't convertor boxes work with this dish-if we get up and going that is!

The converter boxes are for use with an over the air antenna to pick up local broadcast stations in your area, such as ABC, NBC, CBS, etc...

Pictures would help everyone in figuring out exactly what you have and how to help you get it going again

I'd try and send a picture but I don't have anything to do it with nor the know-how.
I don't know any other way to explain what I'm talking about.I'll post a new message with how its layed out in the book.Hopefully it will help.

GI Innovation 450i satellite receiver installation diagram

I will go from left to right starting at the top.

The first image is that of the satellite dish with the word dish written between the mesh screen(?) and the pole,the next is an image of a what looks like a TV (with the words, video in, written under it)but has monitor or VCR written on the screen,next is says audio in,next is an image of a stereo sitting between 2 speakers with the word stereo written above it and audio in written under it,next is written antenna or cable with the image of an outside antenna next to it and the last image is that of a TV with TV written on the screen and VHF IN written under it.

Again going from left to right. This will on the back of the receiver.The very first image is that of 2 coaxial connectors,one on top of the other.The top connector has the letters C/H above it,with the numbers 18v 400MA written in-between the connectors,the second connection has the letters K/V written below it.
The next sets of connectors are sitting on top of each other too-upper and lower.The upper connector on this set is labeled video,the lower connector labeled baseband.Monitor out is written between this set of connectors and the next.
The next set of connectors has 4 connectors, 2 upper and 2 lower.The 2 upper connectors has R Audio L written above it,the 2 lower connectors has DATA IPPV written under it.
The next image is of a circle with the words anywhere UHF remote written above it.
The next is 4 sets of connectors(terminal block),there is nothing written above them,the lower connectors have,the first set-+5v(written twice),the second set-pulse(written twice) third set-GND(written twice) the fourth set C/KU beneath that is H/V.
The next image looks like a flat metal plate with 2 screws in it,above it is written actuator M1 M2,underneath all that is 24v 4A MAX class ll wiring.Beneath the plate says polarizer.
Right across from this metal plate is a small circle that says circuit breaker underneath it and just a tad bit lower and over theres a little triangle shaped warning sign with a lightening bolt shaped arrow symbol in it and below that is a little switch with ch4 and ch3 written above it
Below the switch and little over to the left are 2 coaxial connections-side by side,the left one has Vhf in from ant written above it and the one one the right has VHF out to TV written above it,and the last but not least is the power cord.
Now for the confusing part.Understand now the book is written in black and white so all the lines leading to connections are solid black.
Okay,in the book where it gives you basic receiver connections,the first step is to make sure there is no power to the system.
Step 2 connect your VHF input cable-cable service roof antenna,ect.. and of course they show you each step visually by following the black lines to their appropriate connections,okay we can do that.
The problem is in step 6,the cable with the 5 wires.
Step 6 is the one that connect the ACTUATOR-which I'm guessing is their word for the motor. Anyways, as I've said before, in the book it names colors to connect that are not there in the actual wiring.The only color we can connect is brown to its rightful connection cause its the only color there that is named.
The book says orange and green,but there are no orange and green coated wires.Leaving off the brown,there is BLUE,BLACK,RED and YELLOW
And to complicate matters even more,it doesn't say which colors to attach to which screw on the metal plate but it shows 2 wires from the bundle of 5 to go there.
3 of those wires fit in the top of the terminal block-in order,from left to right,orange,green and brown and the other two to the metal plate.
If we can get this sorted out we'll be good.
Okay,I have been looking some more in the book and YELLOW is off the table,so that leaves BLUE,BLACK and RED.So,which one do I use for orange and green??
Daisymae

Congratulations! I knew you could do it, there's only a limited amount of possibilities with those wires, lol, to make it do what you want. Connect the lnb-coax to the top C-connection, and then power up. Your polarity motor wires (3 small wires) will go right below the motor sensor wires, long as you have the red wire on the + position, the other 2 wires positions are interchangeable. Tells you the position of the "skew" adjustment, horiz or vertical. Play with the menu's and you'll figure it out soon.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)