HI. My name is Anikan Skywalker, I just joined the darkside!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
You shall now be known as Darth Vader...........

So we started out very ugly, the install almost never happened. Installer arrived for a 5 bed room install at 3:45 pm. My window was from 12-4. He arrived within the window, but it was later than what I wanted to see, especally being that it was a 5 room install.

Installer called at 3 to say he was going to be here at 3:45 asking if I had equipment. I was like dude, I sent my old equipment back 9 months ago! :eek: The installer made of those Oh Sh*t groans and said he would be here.

Fortunatly I had my SWM setup allready set and things were good to go, (god forbid if he had to run any wire, he would have been SOL so I saved the installers butt tonight.) It was a plug and play setup. Installer arives here, and I show him the rooms. Pulls out two hr 20-100's No HR 24's here. So he installs the HR 20's wich is an eyesore on my all black equipment to have a gray box sitting out. The only thing is that good about it, it includes the ota module. Also, The installer smells Very badley, His Body Oder was very nasty and he showed up in a blue directv work shirt, and black sweats. I could bearly stand a few feet away from him from the stench. This was very unprofessional.

He puts in all of the recivers (2 hr 20's, 2 h24's, and a d12) they go to activate recivers and bingo they cant... I also asked about the whole home dvr thing as it was listed on my order but the installer wasnt installing any decca equipment. He checks into it as they have MRV listed on my work order but no MRV in the programming, nore do they list any of the DECCA and internet kit that was suppost to be with it, all it says on my work order is MRV. The orignal CSR that placed the order didnt do it right and they had to redo the entire order.

The installer ended up putting in all the nessary decca equipment and internet sharing after talking with coustomer service.

After they spent over 1 hour on the phone rebuilding the entire work order they finally got everything up and running with the right packages as they didnt have it right the first time.

This whole home dvr thing really rocks. I was very very very surprised that I could stream 1080P over the network! Totally awsome. I can watch anything on any dvr anywhere in my house.

Its very nice to be able to turn on my RSN at any time and not worry about if the programming is going to be on in hd or not. I keep asking myself why did I ever switch to Dish? Simply put with Directv there are no worrys and that means alot. I instantly had the programming that I wanted and I didnt have to begg moan or gripe to get it. No part time programming, it was all there. From talking to the CSR's on the phone through the screwups, they made me feel like I was apart of thier family and they wanted to welcome me home. This is something that dish has never done, and what they used to do back in 1997, but that atttiude has been lost at dish! Aside from the unprofessonalism of the installer everything went as planned.

It feels good to have VOD that matters back as well as the quality of the lay out of D*. You can tell that directv pours there heart into this stuff and doesnt half @ss it like dish. They thank you for coming to thier service and the do what Dish and others isnt doing.... Putting the coustomer into coustomer service.

Some things I would like to see is the ablity to use VOD on the H24's and record them to a networked dvr. So if someone sees a vod event they want to download on a non dvr reciver, give them the option to have it download to a dvr that is networked.

Aside from the installer's crap, I'm very impresseed with Directv. The PQ from dish to direct, I say that Direct is better on most channels, but there was a couple that Dish had better pq. I'll keep looking, but I think its going to take alot from charlie to get me back to dish. He's done his damage, and in my eyes dish will always be a 3rd teir service. I dont know if dish can earn my trust, respect, and my dollar back. As of right now, there is a snowballs chance in hell. Sorry Charlie! That's fact!

Sounds great. I hope to become a young apprentice next week or shortly after :D

cool. Glad its all up and running

couple things on the DVR
-when on a sports channel and that red button in the corner comes up (the sportsguide) press exit right away (when that pops up) to temp disable it. Makes the receiver work better
-do a show search for "30skip" then say "all"...it'll say "none found". Thats ok. Exit back and now you have a 30 second skip not 30 second "slip" which is like hitting fast forward...on slip you see the program move 30 seconds

Y
Some things I would like to see is the ablity to use VOD on the H24's and record them to a networked dvr. So if someone sees a vod event they want to download on a non dvr reciver, give them the option to have it download to a dvr that is networked.

I did not know this about the HD Receivers. So what happens when you enter ch. 1000? It's a good idea if it hasn't been done yet. Seems you should be able to search VOD in Smart Search or is that still missing in the HD receivers?

On my h24's vod doesnt show up at all, you have to go to one of the dvr's to search for the vod content you want, download it, and then you can view it through mrv on any of the recivers. It would be nice if you could search through vod on the h24's, download it to the hard drive on my hr20 and then go back to it through mrv when its done or downloaded enough to start viewing.

Ice...how do you "reverse" this? I followed your instructions, but prefer to back to the 'slip" instead...please help:)

couple things on the DVR
-when on a sports channel and that red button in the corner comes up (the sportsguide) press exit right away (when that pops up) to temp disable it. Makes the receiver work better
-do a show search for "30skip" then say "all"...it'll say "none found". Thats ok. Exit back and now you have a 30 second skip not 30 second "slip" which is like hitting fast forward...on slip you see the program move 30 seconds

You shall now be known as Darth Vader...........

So we started out very ugly, the install almost never happened. Installer arrived for a 5 bed room install at 3:45 pm. My window was from 12-4. He arrived within the window, but it was later than what I wanted to see, especally being that it was a 5 room install.

Installer called at 3 to say he was going to be here at 3:45 asking if I had equipment. I was like dude, I sent my old equipment back 9 months ago! :eek: The installer made of those Oh Sh*t groans and said he would be here.

Fortunatly I had my SWM setup allready set and things were good to go, (god forbid if he had to run any wire, he would have been SOL so I saved the installers butt tonight.) It was a plug and play setup. Installer arives here, and I show him the rooms. Pulls out two hr 20-100's No HR 24's here. So he installs the HR 20's wich is an eyesore on my all black equipment to have a gray box sitting out. The only thing is that good about it, it includes the ota module. Also, The installer smells Very badley, His Body Oder was very nasty and he showed up in a blue directv work shirt, and black sweats. I could bearly stand a few feet away from him from the stench. This was very unprofessional.

I'm glad your install went well but try to remember the guy has probably been working since 6 or 7 AM and might have been crawling into places you haven't.

They don't have time to go home after each install to take a shower.

Welcome Back, I myself two came back after a short stay at the "other satellite provider" Good to have you over here!! one thing about the HD RSN's they show other shows in HD as well, a phrase you should be happy your not hearing anymore the dredded "Game only"

:D:D:D

My Hr 24 is coming today! looking foward to the upgrade

Time to change your avaitar as well :)

couple things on the DVR

Thanks for those tips. :up I'm new to DTV too so I didn't know those things.

Bob your back to where you started. I remember talking to you on the phone when you said you were thinking of switching to DISH and trying to tell you that you were not going to be happy.

From where you sit DISH has problems, but from where they sit they are comfortable where they are at or they would have made changes a long long time ago. Knowing that they don't have 24 hour RSN's is no surprise to DISH and they have done that by their own choice. Yes DISH does not have MLB but when they had the extra innings package nobody subscribed to it, they lost money on MLB. (I say no one subscribed to it since they didn't have all the teams available such as the Yankees... but that just me.) When the renewal came up they wanted DISH to have part ownership of the MLB network and DISH wanted no part of that so they passed. Did it hurt them? Yeah probably but its understandable.

When I had DIRECTV my biggest complaint was with the HR20, but now it appears that the HR24 has solved most if not all the issues people hated about the HR20.

I got to be honest at one time I was considering dropping DISH and going with DIRECTV but my wife nixed that idea as she likes the DISH DVR much better then the DIRECTV DVR. And since she is the one who is in charge at our house she nixed that idea quick. :)

Over the years you have become a bouncer going from service to service. I hope now that you feel you are on the greener grass that you enjoy what you have and keep it for awhile. Learn to love what you have and most importantly enjoy it as thats what Satellite TV is about bringing you happyness to your television. :)

Welcome Aboard and to the Empire! Yeah I really like Direct DVR the Apps work well and the receivers are allot slimier and a better look as well. I have found all the features work well to even the local on the 8's on The Weather Channel pulls in my forecast so forth. Overall I have been real impressed with Direct channel line up as well per package. I get most of the channels I wanted on Direct with a similar package that I had with Dish. There are channels I get with Direct that I would have had to go to Dish's top package to get. So I think Direct does a better job of picking their channels for their packages as well. Also it seems Direct does a better job on getting their contracts straight ahead of time to get channels and keep them plus add ones as well. There are somethings like the Hot Pass,MLB,ESPNU HD so forth that I have really liked so far. Overall it seems that Direct just does a better job in all areas and now with the new HR24's they made a big step in hardware plus features as well. Only thing I wished I did when I 1st switched over was to get 2 HR24's but I'm happy with one and my HD Receiver as well. :)

I'm glad your install went well but try to remember the guy has probably been working since 6 or 7 AM and might have been crawling into places you haven't.

They don't have time to go home after each install to take a shower.

Nope I completly understand, I used to install for dish, and when I did I kept a can of Ax with me in the truck just to make sure that I didnt stink.

i like rsn on d and the peach tree on 651 and don't have hunt the braves games d like you do on e.

Bob, my original install back in 2006 started around 3 and the guy didn't finish until 11:30. It was only three receivers but he had problem after problem, a bad switch, a bad lnb, eventually he got it all running.

The programming is solid, doens't change, and great sports.
The flexibility in credits is better.
The hardward is better now (HR24), but the software still isn't as good as Dish.
The VOD is great. The extras are great (MRV, D2PC, etc)
Almost everything is HD, especially sports.

Freakin awesome!

Bob, my original install back in 2006 started around 3 and the guy didn't finish until 11:30. It was only three receivers but he had problem after problem, a bad switch, a bad lnb, eventually he got it all running.

The programming is solid, doens't change, and great sports.
The flexibility in credits is better.
The hardward is better now (HR24), but the software still isn't as good as Dish.
The VOD is great. The extras are great (MRV, D2PC, etc)
Almost everything is HD, especially sports.

Freakin awesome!

Looking outside my window at work, waiting to see that UPS man with my HR 24!

Great Summary!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts