Hispasat testing 4K broadcasts to North and Central America

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Burlington, Ontario
Just to let you know if anyone is interested on the news about the 4K test broadcasts from the satellite: It looks like Hispasat is currently testing its 4K broadcasts to North and Central America via the Amazonas 3 (61W) satellite, just in time for its showcasing at the 2014 NAB Conference. From Hispsat's press release:
HISPASAT will present its new 4K America TV channel during the NAB Conference held in Las Vegas

Madrid, April 4, 2014.- HISPASAT, the Spanish satellite communications operator, will present its TV channel “HISPASAT 4K” during the 2014 NAB Conference held in Las Vegas from April 7 to 10. Its content will be aired openly from the Amazonas satellite 3 in the scope of its coverage of Central and North America. The satellite operator thus validates its commitment to the distribution of Ultra High Definition (UHD) - or 4K- technology, in which HISPASAT is pioneer, with demonstrable experience in Europe; it has been broadcasting UHD contents there since September of 2013, when its European 4K channel was presented in the IBC Conference in Amsterdam.

Tonight, I did a blind scan from 61W, and it scanned in a mux with two channels that turned out to be Hispasat's 4K tests: one in normal HD video and audio and another in 4K video probably (it's audio-only on non-4K compatible receivers). However, I couldn't lock its signal on my microHD receiver; would anybody here at SatelliteGuys receive this feed flawlessly without breakups? That mux is up now, so if you do a blind scan on 61W with a DVB-S2 FTA receiver, you should have a chance to see Hispasat's 4K tests in 1080i HD.

Just to let you know if anyone is interested on the news about the 4K test broadcasts from the satellite: It looks like Hispasat is currently testing its 4K broadcasts to North and Central America via the Amazonas 3 (61W) satellite, just in time for its showcasing at the 2014 NAB Conference. From Hispsat's press release:

Tonight, I did a blind scan from 61W, and it scanned in a mux with two channels that turned out to be Hispasat's 4K tests: one in normal HD video and audio and another in 4K video probably (it's audio-only on non-4K compatible receivers). However, I couldn't lock its signal on my microHD receiver; would anybody here at SatelliteGuys receive this feed flawlessly without breakups? That mux is up now, so if you do a blind scan on 61W with a DVB-S2 FTA receiver, you should have a chance to see Hispasat's 4K tests in 1080i HD.

I was able to get a good signal on my 6925. the normal HD played flawlessly on my pc. screenshot attached. it wouldn't lock on my AZbox.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-00001.jpg
    vlcsnap-00001.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 502
Information on whether it's on C-band or Ku-band would be most appreciated. If on Ku, I might try to give it a look today, if my dish still makes it to 61W correctly. :)

- Trip

Wow time to start scanning 61. Would be awesome to grab a .ts file.

Thank You for posting :)

Information on whether it's on C-band or Ku-band would be most appreciated. If on Ku, I might try to give it a look today, if my dish still makes it to 61W correctly. :)

- Trip
sorry guys. here 's the info. 61W Amazonas 3 12012 V 30000 S2-8 2/3 Pilot on. Crazyscan is reporting a good strong signal @ -37dbm @16.5DB C/N. VLC scanned as ch-1 with ID-110 3840x2160 24HZ 4:2:0.

Guess I won't see any 4K, but I am looking to see what is there. :D

If you are curious of the specification it is L5.1 4:2:2 H.264 3840x2160 progressive video @ 23.976 fps with bitrate at 30+ Mbps. It will play fine on a PC (that doesn't suck).

Well I got the signal but the signal strenth I'ts was very unstable bouncing around 12 to 71%,

The video format was showing 1080i 50 Hz 25 FPs, but blank picture with some sound.:)

Go figure, but will keep eye on that for the time being.

Hi all,

The new Amazonas UHD service is coming from my uplink. I am not yet at liberty to share the company name.

For those trying to view it:

The reception should be done with a typical DTH earth station (small size antenna+universal LNB) and, since legacy receivers are not compatible with 4K due to the specific encoding profile, the demonstrator will require a PC which includes a demodulator card and VLC decoding player. Hence, a specific PC updated for receiving and playing 4K content will be required. The following figure summarizes the elements involved in the reception part.
Figure 4. Reception set-up for 4K demo in North America
The PC shall include the following characteristics (or similar):
Hardware:
? i7 LGA1155 3770K processor
? 16 GB RAM
? Hard Disc SSD 256 GB
? Video card AMD7870 DVI HDMI output
? DVB-S/S2 demodulator card, PCI-E
Software:
? Software codec for TV channel tuning (e.g. DVB Dream dvbdream.org
? 4K video player videolan.org
o HEVC plugin for VLC must be available.

The feed is currently a looped transport stream of UHD content. This may be upgraded to a live feed in the near future.

Hope this helps,

inthefrey

Reactions: ynnedibanez
Welcome to Satelliteguys. Nice to have you here, and thanks for the update.:welcome

Edit: Any suggestions as to which DVB-S/S2 demodulator card that can work well this new 4K signal?

Last edited:
The one on amazonas currently doesnt need anything fancy, any that'll tune dvb-s2.

The skystar 2 express hd is an excellent tuner for around $80 cdn inc shipping

UDL

With all the rain and cloud cover, I can't tell if I'm aimed right and it's just too weak (getting a sign of something, just nothing usable), or aimed wrong. Just going to wait until tomorrow, I suppose.

- Trip

sorry guys. here 's the info. 61W Amazonas 3 12012 V 30000 S2-8 2/3 Pilot on. Crazyscan is reporting a good strong signal @ -37dbm @16.5DB C/N. VLC scanned as ch-1 with ID-110 3840x2160 24HZ 4:2:0.

Just scanned it in on the S9 also as CH1. Q is pulsing from 16 - 74. No video or audio

All, yes, there is video. And, it is amazing! Being displayed right now at NAB. ;)

Unless you have a ts demod and using VLC to watch it, you are probably not seeing anything. You need to use the HEVC codec in VLC. (H.265. yes, not a typo - H.265) The current ts bitrate is 58Mbps.

Any questions? please ask. I'll answer what I can.

inthefrey

Last edited:
I don't think it will work with just any tuner.

I've tried on a X2 Premium receiver, a Prof 7301, and TBS 5922 and none will hold a lock on the signal properly. I have a strong signal on it. Look what TSReader and a Prof 7301 does:

zpcu6vD.jpg

The Prof and that receiver can lock it but when you try to record it's flooded with errors of course. It bounces around like crazy. The TBS can't even seem to lock it.

I have never seen a DVB-S2 8PSK signal behave this way.

The only people who have mentioned success so far are using those $250 TBS tuners that can do 16APSK and 32APSK.

Oh and just one question for now, how long will this signal be here?

Last edited:
Xizer, I'm not exactly sure how long it will be there. I guess that depends on how long Hispasat wants me to keep it up there.(hoping a very long time...;) ) The engagement is currently open-ended with no firm end date after the close of NAB.

Also, your scanner is showing the incorrect video type. Probably because it doesn't recognize the H.265 codec yet. The video bitrate on my FantAsi says 35Mbps not including the audio stream.

UHDstreaminfo.png

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)