History gone!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sorry. Panicked. It´s slowly coming back. I´m getting 30 -35% on my pansat right now. I do get a steady 60% though. Hope it comes back strong.

For about the next month or close to that depending on ones location as to when, The sun will be overpowering the sat signals at the time it is in line with the sat. This happens twice a year in the spring and fall as we pass through the spring and fall equinox while the sun makes its journey. This will happen to all sats at different times throughout the day. Nothing to worry about. Simply wait, or go to another sat. It only lasts about 5 - 10 minutes. Have a great day!

Although I´m well aware of the spring and fall equinox and it´s probable effects on satellites, this is definitely not the case this time.
Right now 6:00 pm local central time the signal is 0% again. 101w is my true south and the sun in this very moment is 45° west of my azimuth (nowhere near of SES1) as sundown will be in less than two hours at my location.
So this signal loss I know is not sun related this time.

Quality is bouncing up and down on my end also but never to the point of being unwatchable.

Pansat 150
85%-Normally
45-65%-Today

Although I´m well aware of the spring and fall equinox and it´s probable effects on satellites, this is definitely not the case this time.
Right now 6:00 pm local central time the signal is 0% again. 101w is my true south and the sun in this very moment is 45° west of my azimuth (nowhere near of SES1) as sundown will be in less than two hours at my location.
So this signal loss I know is not sun related this time.

The sun doesn't apply only to the reception site, It also applies to the uplink side. Just because the sun is not inline with you, don't mean that it is not inline with the uplink site....... There are also other variables... Been watching most of the day and here is what I have... except when the sun interferrs at my place and the uplink side. Twice a day..

Attachments

• SANY0030.JPG
    SANY0030.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 166
Stone,

I don't think the sun would interfere with the transmit side of an uplink site. The receive side yes, many up linkers monitor the sat with the same dish simultaneously. Local weather of course can do it in at either end, but not the sun anytime of the year at the uplink.

For about the next month or close to that depending on ones location as to when, The sun will be overpowering the sat signals at the time it is in line with the sat. This happens twice a year in the spring and fall as we pass through the spring and fall equinox while the sun makes its journey. This will happen to all sats at different times throughout the day. Nothing to worry about. Simply wait, or go to another sat. It only lasts about 5 - 10 minutes. Have a great day!

Way too early in the autumnal equinox cycle for any SES1 uplink or downlink sites to be affected in the Northern hemisphere. I have attached the sun outage predictions for SES1 in North America for autumnal equinox 2011 View attachment SES1_SEPTEMBER_E2590_NAMERICA2_RIF.PDF.

The op is having an unrelated problem receiving SES1. Maybe LO frequency drift, equipment overheating, condensation????

Stone,

I don't think the sun would interfere with the transmit side of an uplink site. The receive side yes, many up linkers monitor the sat with the same dish simultaneously. Local weather of course can do it in at either end, but not the sun anytime of the year at the uplink.

I agree 100%. One could imagine that there is a remote possibility that at the peak of the cycle the uplink could be somehow affected, but that is highly unlikely. In the 30+ years for working in and around the uplink facilities and trucks I have never experienced or heard talk of an uplink actually being affected by the equinox cycles.

Sun outages occur at the downlink when the Signal to Noise ratio becomes a Noise to Signal Ratio! ;)

I also had issues with History this afternoon. My guess is the answer is in the name it scans in as: "TEST_...". This isn't a production signal that the hotel guest watch. They get the encrypted History Channel which isn't played with by the techies. I'm just glad I wasn't the only one with problems. At one point I was S 64% and Q 21%. Almost like watching 4:2:2 video when the box doesn't do 4:2:2.

Jim

The title of this thread caused me to panic. With the Biography issue and the Old Man by the Sea channel a few months ago, I was concerned ;) ...

jowski said:
I also had issues with History this afternoon. My guess is the answer is in the name it scans in as: "TEST_...". This isn't a production signal that the hotel guest watch.

All Hotel Network channels would be affected if the SQ dropped. The reduced SQ would affect the entire MUX as it is a MCPC signal (multiple channels on a single carrier).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)