HLG(Hybrid Log Gamma) on Genie?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jborchel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
Can anyone tell me the what is known about Directv's implementation of HLG? HLG is similar to HDR but for cable and satellite transmissions. I know that it shows up on my LG OLED in the upper right corner when I tune to 104 after I received an HLG firmware update to my Denon receiver. But it does not show up for the HD channels. However, my HD channels look much more colorful since the update.

Anyone know the actual situation?

HLG is a standard that Directv supports because that's what networks have always planned to use for HDR in live broadcasts. Your receiver or TV may be set to add some false color to HD content, it isn't Directv's doing.

I'm not aware of any HD channels using HLG HDR. While I know it's in the specs, I dont think it's been implemented that way. The only place I have seen HLG HDR be used is on the 4K channels.

It definitely is on the 4K channel 104. If it was on the HD channels I believe it would show the label on the OLED. But I know the color is better. The other night a Rick Steves tour of Oxford and Cambridge on the PBS station was definitely HLG looking and I checked the Vizio. There is no "Enhanced Color" setting available.

Then I wonder why the color and contrast is so much better on the HD channels. I'm sure it is not my imagination. As soon as I installed the new firmware that contained HLG support I noticed the difference. I didn't even know what HLG was at that time. The firmware update was billed as DolbyVision support and barely mentioned HLG.

Samsung has a fake HDR mode called HDR+ which is sort of like how some 3D TVs supported a fake 3D. I wouldn't be surprised if LG had some sort of setting like that too, but I have no idea what it would be called.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
The most noticeable effect was on the Vizio 4K 70" P Series from 2014 and LG (HD) PF 1500 projector. Neither are HDR functional. I don't think the Denon was doing anything but unpacking the HLG and passing it on to the tv or projector. I think I have read that HLG can be embedded in HD signals as well as UHD.

The most noticeable effect was on the Vizio 4K 70" P Series from 2014 and LG (HD) PF 1500 projector. Neither are HDR functional. I don't think the Denon was doing anything but unpacking the HLG and passing it on to the tv or projector. I think I have read that HLG can be embedded in HD signals as well as UHD.
It can be embedded but no one uses it from a broadcast perspective

These are two sentences in the HLG Wikipedia:

"HLG does not need to use metadata since it is compatible with both SDR displays and HDR displays.[1][2] HLG can be used with displays of different brightness in a wide range of viewing environments.["

"HLG is supported in HEVC with a formula that is mathematically equivalent to ARIB STD-B67 but has a nominal range of 0 to 1 instead of 0 to 12"

If the two were combined does it not say that streaming services that encode using HEVC could use this for HD streams? Do any of them already do it?

Then I wonder why the color and contrast is so much better on the HD channels. I'm sure it is not my imagination. As soon as I installed the new firmware that contained HLG support I noticed the difference. I didn't even know what HLG was at that time. The firmware update was billed as DolbyVision support and barely mentioned HLG.
Have you tried bypassing the Denon and running the HDMI cable straight from the client to the TV to see if it makes any difference?

Reactions: Jimbo
Does using 2020 mean that it produces the full P3 color for the HD channels, thus explaining the increased color? If so, how long has it been doing this?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts