Hobby Installer?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Never had a damage claim, but other installers have.... usually it's roof damage (I'd never put an FTA on the roof personally anyway, yes it's possible, but those dishes are just big) or holes in siding, drywall, etc.. Could drill into an electrical or something, never heard of that yet. Also, carpet caught in the drill and causing a huge run.... climbing through attic and falling through ceiling. All bad scenarios to think about. If your careful, smart and cautious you'll be ok, but some guys just don't think things through.
Make sure to silicone all penetrations too... that kind of stuff.

Unfortunately there are just some people waiting to sue. I did have one lady one time try to claim roof damage. It turned out that she just wanted out of her contract w/E*. I went out to inspect it myself. She wasn't there. Got up on my ladder and took tons of pics. The line from the dish had already been cut and the cable company tied into it. Obviously she switched to cable and was just looking for E to pay her some money or cancel her. Luckily that install was beautiful. Dish was mounted to overhang way out from any living space and plenty of pitch/patch all under mast footplate. No way that thing was leaking at all. Sent in the pics to damage claim office and never heard a word again.

Getting Insurance and workers comp on yourself is a must if you are self employeed. I fell off a ladder on the second to the last rung on the way down. ( the ladder broke?!!). I broke and dislocated my right shoulder. The only good thing was is was right before Thanksgiving, Not a buys time of year for me. After that I bought workerscomp.

What if since i would be doing this as a hobby.... Could I write up a waiver and have them sign saying that anything is not my fault and I am just hooking up a system for them.

Sorry, I thought you where doing it for money. Waivers are a good thing to do even if it is a favor. That reminds me I was doing some home theater work for a guy. I was in the attic up a ladder on the top of his theater room. He got curious and entered the attic. There was plenty of room to stand up for him. However he did not look where he was and started to back up. You guessed it. Right through the sheet rock ceiling. He caught himself before he went all the way through. Which would have hurt his ceilings where like 15 high. That was probably the second person I've seen do that in the last few months. I think I'll have to start banning customers from the attic while Im working.

Lots of licensing involved if you were to start a business of doing this. A business license and low voltage license/cert 'so you could drill holes in walls' are the first couple. I think you would be ok though installing satellite systems for friends and neighbors and having them repaying you for your time and materials. I would definitely use a catch all contract to help save your booty in case of an uh oh.

Sorry, I thought you where doing it for money. Waivers are a good thing to do even if it is a favor.

I would be doing it for money but just small amounts here and there. But from the sounds of it things are getting more complicated that it needs to be. Like in the other post right after yours where he is talking about licensing.

Don't let all this spook you. Just things to consider. Every state is different as far a licensing goes. You may not even need one in your state. But definitely consider at least liability insurance, it's not real expensive.

In Oregon any "individual or business ...(who) sells, arranges, undertakes, or offers to undertake, submits a bid to construct, alter, repair, add to, subtract from, improve, inspect, move, wreck or demolish, for another, any building ...or other structure, project, development or improvement attached to real estate or to any part thereof, needs to be licensed." Quoted from the Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB) reference manual.

If you collect any amount of money, then, you must be CCB licensed, bonded, and insured.

If you do it for yourself or a friend without any pay then you don't need anything.

I knew a guy who was helping a friend roof his house. He fell off and broke both wrists. No workers comp, so he went after the friend's home owners insurance. The insurance company found that he had been paid in some way. He was on his own and in trouble with the CCB!

I had to go to school for a minimum of 16 hours Cost $ 200
Take the two hour written test. Cost $106
Application fee for CCB License (2 years) Cost $260
Insurance cost $500 per year
Bond Cost $150 per year.

All of the above before you can do your first install for money.
Bob

Last edited:
i work at a law firm that does represents big business, i guess i should go upstairs and ask em about FL laws on that

small dishes count as Construction?
Yes, any holes in the structure is an alteration. If you could do an install without driving nails, screws or drilling any holes, then that would be like installing a TV, no license required.
Bob

I would be doing it for money but just small amounts here and there. But from the sounds of it things are getting more complicated that it needs to be. Like in the other post right after yours where he is talking about licensing.

They are not getting that complicated yet, waite till you aplie for you're low voltage, in Fl they only test 2 times a year, spring an fall, then after you pass it now you can get a occupational license for you're county that you be working in, an may need to also pull a occupational from city's in that county if it is needed, now if you're working outside you're county will need to get a license for that co also. now with all this done now you can put a add in the phone book, now have not even touched on The Department of Revenue yet, yes that right sale tax. after all this now you can start thinking about getting insurance, an may even consider getting bonded. but waite you don't have a truck or van just yet, so now you have to stock it, tools, sullpies, test equipment, ladders ect, an then you will need commercal insurance on it, because it is used for work. if you do not let the insurance co know about what the van is used for they may cancel you on you're 1st claim leaving you holding the bag.

I do not mean to scare you at all, but it is not cheep by any means to keep even a small bussisness going these days, an you will find that the local goverment wants more an more $ year after year. but I wish you all the best Olliec, because I am for the small buss man, I would deal with a small self owen buss man before I would ever deal with a big co.
Good Luck

what if you were to pole mount in the yard and connect to their coax junction box

If you are talking about a box on the outside of the home that a local cable co install an they have cable services now, by Fl law you CAN NOT go in it. It is ok for the home owner to go in it, an this is a grey area.

Good advice above.

Before starting any business, check with the local chamber of commerce, dept. of development, or state for any licensing requirements, etc. Each state is different.

It goes without saying, any professional training and education you can get, will add to your capabilities and professionalism in performing your job.

One thing I did in the past was work with an established business owner to do side jobs... mainly computer & small LANs.
He took a percentage of my invoices and I was covered under his business umbrella.
As far as any 'agencies' knew, I was just an employee. Heck, he even let me use an old service van they were only using as a spare.
(Of course it helped that we were, and still are, close friends...)

ok well this seems to rule out any chance of this happening, maybe i will rethink it to where i could resell for sadoun or sat av to local folks who would like to get in to it and dont know how and provide consulting on how to do it. or something of the like ya know what i mean?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)