Hobbyist Open Source Satellite Receiver - Raspberry Pi 2???

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yeah I have read that you have to make sure you are using a good power supply, especially if you plug in a full size keyboard and mouse.
Will fire it up in a bit and do some testing with it. Looking forward to seeing the performance boost.

On my old model B I had to use a small powered USB hub to get all my accessories to work. I worked like a charm in taking the load off the Pi's power supply.

41lvNw8LrbL.jpg
Its pretty small.

On my old model B I had to use a powered USB hub to get all my accessories to work. I worked like a charm in taking the load off the Pi's power supply.
Yep that is the best way to go. :)

That is real tempting!!

The questions I would have would be: What is the throughput on the gpio and would this device cure the Ethernet throughput issue? Does it unshare wifi and usb bandwidth? Is the 802.11n in non MIMO mode capable of 150Mbps on this card?

An Ssd sata drive would be a nice addition but you would still have to boot from the SD card. Bootstrap code is hard coded to boot from SD. I found this out when I ran the OS on a USB stick. No big deal you basically put a pointer on the SD to boot elsewhere.

The RTC is a great feature, add ntp to that and you would have the basis for a very reliable DVR.

Worst case scenario you would still be bandwidth restricted but have SATA and RTC.
Also reviews show no documentation comes with this board.

Nice find Brian, very interesting.

Last edited:
What voltage is required for the various units? I'm guessing 12v but might be 5v... bit more difficult to find a commercially built 5v pwr supply for more than an amp or two.

The RPi2 input voltage is 5vdc. Scott is saying that his RPi2 is showing power warning with standard 2A supply and thumb drive attached. I have ordered a 5Vdc/2.5A.

I already received the RTC module from China. :)

There are several expansion boards available, but this model has a good I/O selection, adequate power supply and great price. You are right, not much documentation.

I have a steep learning curve ahead on the RPi2 and not sure about the GPIO throughput relationship to the bandwidth cap that Update Lee mentioned and stacking multiple RPi to delegate specific tasks. Example: Assigning one RPi unit as the front end with basic receiver. Stack a second as the media server I/O.

My gut feeling is mirroring Updatelee that the basis of the system should probably be mini ITX. Just trying to approach this at the lowest investment, realistically, but think outside the box.

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
My PI2 came today. So I have this, a PI B and a mini ITX system to dedicate to experimentation. I will probably want to start with the PI2 and see how far I can get and have the ITX system as a backup if more power is needed. The PI B can be used if a way is found to offload to a second PI.

New processors are super effieient compared to the chipsets from even 5 years ago. Not nearly as much heat generated, and less power required.
I have noticed some thumb/USB drives get really hot. Not sure if this is due to inefficient power regulation or device design. Don't see power consumption specs on these drives, maybe some are more efficient than others, might be something to look into. Also might want to use a powered USB hub (with it's own p/s) on these RPi units, not sure what the internal buss can handle.

Have most of the parts to start my RPI2 DVBS2 project.

IMG_3581.JPG

This case looked great, but the RTC (Real Time Clock) unit will not fit inside the case as each layer has different cut-outs and is extremely brittle material that snaps easily (yep, I did). Will need to either add a GPIO riser or check out other options down the line.

IMG_3584.JPG

The 7" LCD with driver, touch screen, control pannel/IR receiver, power supply case has great real estate for operation, but will be too large to fit the ASC1 case faceplate. The LCD poly case might make a great portable stand-alone case and has enough room to house a laptop type battery and the RPi2. This hardware could pair nicely with the UpdateDVB firmware for a portable spectrum analyzer and signal snooper!

Status
Please reply by conversation.