Hobbyist Open Source Satellite Receiver - Raspberry Pi 2???

Status
Please reply by conversation.
MillIamps to frequency is not a valid comparison or conversion.

The modern LNBF as we know and use is simply an electronic device which combines one or more receive antennas and a "mixer" which converts the received signals to a standard frequency range of 950-2150 Mhz. This is the frequency range which our modern satellite receivers will tune through to find the various signals. The LNBF accomplishes this by essentially reducing the frequency of the signals it receives by the LOF value (11700 MHz - 10750 MHz = 950 MHz). This is the action of the "mixer" part of the LNBF.

The receiver simply adds the LOF value you provide in the settings to the frequency it found a transponder at in order to display the actual transponder frequency on your screen. The LOF values of the LNBF are fixed values and cannot be changed by the receiver--you can't enter 10900MHz in your receiver and force the LNBF to use that as the LOF. If you do, the displayed transponder frequencies will be incorrect (11700-10750+10900=11850). The exception here is the universal Ku LNBFs: your receiver will the control the use of one of two fixed LOF values (10600MHzor 10750MHz) by the presence or absence of the 22KHz control signal sent from the sat receiver to the LNBF.

In short: Choose the LOF settings in the sat receiver which match those of the LNBF you are using.

I know I'm stating the obvious here for 95% of us :) and that it's been discussed many times before in the forums over the years. Hopefully it will be of some use to any newcomers to FTA who happen by (perhaps by googling for RasPi projects).

Keep up the great work, Fred and guys! I've been watching this thread with great interest.

An all in one STB would be easier to code I would think. I'm open to other ideas, but I'm not a professional coder.

This project while interesting I think is just too time consuming and a money waster. The only really inexpensive part is the PI2. Today's STB's have all the bells & whistles one may need without waving to buy multiple parts, compile code or try using Linux. I applaud your effort but most users of this forum probably are happy with the receivers that are available today.

MillIamps to frequency is not a valid comparison or conversion.

The modern LNBF as we know and use is simply an electronic device which combines one or more receive antennas and a "mixer" which converts the received signals to a standard frequency range of 950-2150 Mhz. This is the frequency range which our modern satellite receivers will tune through to find the various signals. The LNBF accomplishes this by essentially reducing the frequency of the signals it receives by the LOF value (11700 MHz - 10750 MHz = 950 MHz). This is the action of the "mixer" part of the LNBF.

The receiver simply adds the LOF value you provide in the settings to the frequency it found a transponder at in order to display the actual transponder frequency on your screen. The LOF values of the LNBF are fixed values and cannot be changed by the receiver--you can't enter 10900MHz in your receiver and force the LNBF to use that as the LOF. If you do, the displayed transponder frequencies will be incorrect (11700-10750+10900=11850). The exception here is the universal Ku LNBFs: your receiver will the control the use of one of two fixed LOF values (10600MHzor 10750MHz) by the presence or absence of the 22KHz control signal sent from the sat receiver to the LNBF.

In short: Choose the LOF settings in the sat receiver which match those of the LNBF you are using.

I know I'm stating the obvious here for 95% of us :) and that it's been discussed many times before in the forums over the years. Hopefully it will be of some use to any newcomers to FTA who happen by (perhaps by googling for RasPi projects).

Keep up the great work, Fred and guys! I've been watching this thread with great interest.

The meter project and dvb-s is an interesting comparison. In order for the meter to correctly identify a tp; the matches of the freq.; symbol rate; and pol. of the tp; and lnbf; using pre-defined information compiles is in the binary linux works so well with. Nowaday's another match, such as dvb-s HD; dvb-s2 h.264; 8psk; 16psk hybrid 8vsb - 32vsb and the rest of the explanation to a digital format other than the cam/cas; the old meter seems to be missing these days.
The best new STB's are linux boxes; and work better because of it (because it will do anything you tell it to do). The difference in the tuners is whether they can read a stack or not; and my microHD has a very small, no loop out tuner; probably only can tune standard lnbf or universal lnbf tuner type...

Last edited:
This project while interesting I think is just too time consuming and a money waster. The only really inexpensive part is the PI2. Today's STB's have all the bells & whistles one may need without waving to buy multiple parts, compile code or try using Linux. I applaud your effort but most users of this forum probably are happy with the receivers that are available today.

Its all about thinking outside of the box and expanding the dated technology of current systems into the future.

What if Thomas Edison thought like that and said:
Light bulbs "while interesting I think is just too time consuming and a money waster." Today's" candles "have all the bells & whistles one may need."
The people of this village "probably are happy with the" candles "that are available today."
Current satellite receivers use a very antiquated transmission method that was first patented in 1880, coaxial cable.
Yes 1880.

An innovative vendor on this forum posed a thought question and the forward thinkers and experimenters here find it challenging.
Companies like SES see the future and are bringing products to the market. http://www.satip.info/
Its not about how much time or money or effort it takes, its about experimentation, innovation and advancement.

The Pi is just an R&D tool, a cheap prototyping platform, a technology demonstrator if you will, allowing the use of freely available tools to explore new ways of doing things.
Most people are happy to sit around on the couch and tweet on their iPads all day and they can give thanks to forward thinkers like Steve Jobs and Thomas Edison,
without whom they would still be sitting around a candle.

Last edited:

DANG, you are right! Let's pack up our expensive $35 PRi2 and $60 Tevii and head home. Nothing to see here.. Move along! Move along! ;)

But seriously.... What if the end result of this project is that any non-techie hobbyist could simply buy a Raspberry PI 2, a USB tuner, download one compiled FREE software package onto a micro SD card and launch the satellite and media center program? Done!!!

RichyRich... check out this post that I wrote a few years ago. It might shine some light on LO frequencies and tuners. http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/lnb-lo-frequency-101.301707/

Well said, Fred555. Thank you!

This is why there are fully wired and tested(well this may not be the case on some) units out there. You are correct this project is not for everyone, neither is sky diving. To those that enjoy the challenge and enjoy assembling their own projects this is an awesome project.
I have to disagree though, I would not say the ones out there have ALL the bells and whistles; to some though, it is close enough. :)

Personally, I find this project extremely interesting and I look forward to seeing what results from it.

I applaud Fred and other's efforts here and have been following this closely.

And Satellite Guys is, without a doubt, my favorite internet forum.

So, we need a meter to identify; scan; and show us the many different parameters of satellite tv FTA channel's for each to aim at more than one satellite;; satellite channel is after scanning; we want and need; so the system can be easily used; installed, no matter where in the USA who you are is; are; or how many times we want these free tv channels!

And of course; a channel list that previously worked; to restore; or modify; such actual information on the tuner works.

I must have bought a new box (sold them then too) every 3-6 month's since 1992 and dvb-s. A LINUX ANDROID is exactly what RASPERRY PI2 looks like (it is exactly what FTA is looking for!

attached to the Raspberry PI2 is an lnbf. how easy should the number of boxes be? An android has skins (they invented this in android school); and this one is sweet raspberries! Both directions of internet video and channel tuning; at the same time! To my android; from my android; what else does a couch potato need? OIL!

Last edited:
These typed tuners can only tune a full 1 gig. So standardly, in fact; it can tune 2x500. And it does tune one 500 (H or V) fully at one time (or is that the loop out typed tuner?).
I think that's a misrepresentation of the tuner's bandwidth. Yes, just over 1GHz, but it's not split 50/50 between horizontal and vertical polarizations. The tuner will scan the full range, once using the horizontal antenna of the LNBF and once using the vertical antenna. I wouldn't call that 2GHz wide, though.

Reactions: richyrich
I really think they are hiding all the meter does not know; until it scans the channel. Then, I see what the channel is really made with...

I agree...although the doing anything you tell it to is a double-edged sword: Garbage in, garbage out :)

Right again; the Amiko has the voice recognition in it. It does what they tell it to do doesn't it? Like a meter; wavin' in the wind type good........

check this link; hbo sells out to 10 million more internet only subscribers...

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30234790

Last edited:
Tevii S662

I started messing with the Tevii again tonight. After I got the TBS-5922 working on the PI2, I remebered to add this to a file named dvbir.conf in /etc/modprobe.d:
options dvb_usb disable_rc_polling=1
It is used to disable IR sensors that process ambient light and use CPU. Its funny but this corrected the errors with the Tevii.
Code:
With IR on
[    7.449256] dvb-usb: recv bulk message failed: -110
[    7.457999] dw2102: i2c transfer failed.
after disabling ir sensor no more errors. I even turn the IR back on and I get the errors again

Now I get something I have not seen before from the Tevii, a firmware request:

[ 1639.991609] ds3103_firmware_ondemand: Waiting for firmware upload (dvb-fe-ds3103.fw)...
[ 1639.991710] usb 1-1.4: Direct firmware load for dvb-fe-ds3103.fw failed with error -2
[ 1639.991729] ds3103_firmware_ondemand: Waiting for firmware upload(2)...
[ 1639.991742] ds3103_firmware_ondemand: No firmware uploaded (timeout or file not found?)
[ 1639.991754] ds3103_initfe: Unable initialize firmware

But I put the firmware in place and this just repeats in the logs:

[ 2694.968322] ds3103_firmware_ondemand: Waiting for firmware upload (dvb-fe-ds3103.fw)...
[ 2694.968474] ds3103_firmware_ondemand: Waiting for firmware upload(2)...
[ 2696.376810] ts2022_set_params: offset 428khz
[ 2696.376835] ts2022_set_params:  1365000khz  1365428khz
[ 2754.955428] dw2102: su3000_power_ctrl: 0, initialized 1
[ 2754.955428]
[ 2826.804496] dw2102: su3000_power_ctrl: 1, initialized 1
[ 2826.804496]
[ 2826.818961] ds3103_firmware_ondemand: Waiting for firmware upload (dvb-fe-ds3103.fw)...
[ 2826.819119] ds3103_firmware_ondemand: Waiting for firmware upload(2)...
[ 2828.367408] ts2022_set_params: offset 785khz
[ 2828.367433] ts2022_set_params:  1193000khz  1193785khz
[ 2886.809812] dw2102: su3000_power_ctrl: 0, initialized 1

I tried firmware from two different sources too.

So I have a driver that produces no errors. I think I will post the build steps for the driver tomorrow.
Maybe someone else with a Tevii can try it and see if theirs works. There still may be something going on with mine.

Reactions: Titanium
The Tevii S662 is working,
Even though it keeps saying waiting for firmware upload in the logs, and those other two errors popped up once.
I have not tested it properly since I cant seem to get diseqc or 22Khz working in mumudvb now
and my dish at position 1 needs some serious tweaking. I did manage to get a choppy
picture on 97W Assyriasat where my Mini HD SE would not even lock it! That's promising.
I will release the steps tomorrow with open issues due to the log messages.
It will give me an excuse to tweak 97W dish and also see whats up with that new channel.:coco

Does the S662 use uploadable firmware only in Linux, or is there something I can do in Windows to
get firmware to it and stop the messages?

One thing about a satellite lnbf; each have a slightly different "take" on being one. One might draw .357 amps and another might draw (aimed at a different satellite) .422 amps. This "draw" each needs to perform its duty is what the card must supply; one at a time (or added up by a 22 khz. SW). On the back of my microHD is a satellite in port (like any tuner); and if I try to draw too much (more than 2 lnbf's; or 1 "fat" one) the receiver heats up more; and shuts down. This problem is very common and usually just cuts the power supplies "lifetime" down; but can also poof a tuner; or cut its sensitivity down.

On the dual tuner STB; this is not as much a problem; as it can easily supply both lnbf's without any problems (and has the capacity to handle 4 of them; according of course to its specs). I only use single output; non-universals; on the little borg tuners because of it (and systems with multi-sats and switches get reg. PS using powered SW's. The bandwidth of a full of tp satellite is max at a full 500 Mhz. in a standard satellite plan (and is only "full" when it is all used up; normally around a 450 max of the 500). The tuners these days in the mini-boxes have tuners of only the 500 for each polarity. The 4DTV tuner is a dual tuner (C+Ku) and supplies 14/18 and LNB typed voltages of 18 only; according to its configurization. They can even set it up for the full stack (and the tuner cuts are set to over this 1 Ghz. to be able to tune it; it has 150 Mhz. of sliding to catch the full stack (as do directv and dish net and the rest). In DN boxes of Joey from the Hop; the Joey tuner is a 500/450 mini-tuner; but the Hopper is a Dual tuner (really handling most of the "powers" this noded system handles. They also use "stackering" to full as 2 gig; but probably reach 1.75 if they use up all their space.

So most FTA lnbf's/receivers/systems do not need all of the bells and wistles; only when you want more than one receiver; or more than one channel at one time; does the system need a better "tuner" packaged into it. In the raspberry PI2 it is using one channel at a time approach from its inception; and is single ended also by using a mesh to Wifi; the berry by berry pie. Sweet! If you hook it up to more than one lnbf (or SW system); it might act funny because it is a very sensitive thing to tune in a satellite signal...

updated; parts are 2 of the berries and their serial numbers listed already and sold, leading in techniques. However, if it is both slicers at the same time; it might seem strange to love that. Next time my pc takes an update and starts actin' funny; I am gonna throw it away and buy a new one.

funny how parts are; the thing they need to update is whether theirs still works or not (it is a very dangerous job) technology is. The winner's are all into something called nightshade (where they hyde themselves); their problem is; they have to do it at night using Gremlins and Gargoyles...

Carry a big flashlight; and a bigger xun. Peace...of.......Pie........please

Last edited:
Can the images be used as encrypted; where the actual link itself is invisib
DVB-S2 on Raspberry Pi2 Tutorial
Initial Pi2 Setup

The first step is to get a good microSD card, tests here show that the Sandisk Ultra microSD HC Class 10 is a good one.
I have so far experienced a 100% failure rate with the Samsung Evo cards.
One was DOA and the other died after only a few hours of use.
I have run 50+ hours of compiling on the same Sandisk card and it is still going strong.
Get a few extras too. They don't last forever. See last section for size and backup considerations.

View attachment 105551

Go here and download Win32DiskImager:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/win32diskimager/Archive/Win32DiskImager-0.9.5-install.exe?r=http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/&ts=1426604080&use_mirror=hivelocity

Go here and get the Raspian Debian Wheezy Image:
Raspbian
Debian Wheezy
Version: February 2015
Release date: 2015-02-16
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_latest

Go here and read how to get the image onto the SD card.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/README.md

Boot up the PI, you will get to this screen:
View attachment 105552
Expand the root file system to fill entire SD card.
Once we get ready to actually watch some shows, I will explain how to setup overscan and other video tweaks on the PI to get the best picture.
Configure your keyboard.
You can change the default pi user password here if you want
The default user on Raspbian is pi with the password raspberry.
Change locale.
Change timezone.
We will look at memory split later when we optimize the pi for video.
Make sure ssh is turned on.
Do not start the desktop on boot. If you really want the gui later, type startx at the command line.
Installation of USB DVB-S2 tuners will all be done at the command line and the gui is just extra overhead during compile.
So turn it off for now.
Run raspi-config to revisit this screen later on.

Go here to read about all the other options:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/raspi-config.md

Once you log in, type the following:
sudo passwd root

Set the root password. Logout then log back in as root. You will save yourself from having to type su or sudo all the time. This is not a Fortune 500 highly sensitive and secure type system. Logging in as root will save time during setup.

Go here and download the putty ssh client to a PC or laptop:
http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/putty.exe

Use putty to remote into your Pi. Doing it this way allows to copy and paste the statements given in tutorials.

You paste into putty by just right clicking.
To copy from putty you simply select the text by holding down the left mouse button and highlighting.

Another handy feature with putty is logging.
Right click on the top border, click on change settings.
Under the session category, click logging.
Under session logging, select all session logging, browse to a suitable location.
Then click apply.

You will now have a record of everything you typed and everything the PI spit back out at you. /username/.bash_history only shows what you typed in not the results.This feature is handy to go back and review your work if you made a mistake or to log compiling to be able to see what has left the viewing area. To stop logging, go back in and select none under session logging. The logging will also stop automatically when you exit the session.

Back Up Your SD Card Often
Once you finish initial setup, use Win32DiskImager to "read" an image of your sd card to another computer. Do this every time you complete a major step. Use a new rev number or name every time so you don't overwrite the older ones. You will have a complete archive of all your images if you need to go back to some point and time and start fresh for for various reasons. I am currently using 16B sd cards, this may be overkill as it is no where near filled and it takes a long time to read and write an image. Also storage space for images on your PC will grow fast. Consider using an 8GB card. You can expand it later if needed. It may be more difficult to impossible to shrink 16GB image, I have not tried it.
Right-click on the Win32DiskImager icon, and select Run as administrator.

Select a location on your computer and name for the backup image.

Select the drive letter of the SD card in the device box.

Click Read and wait for the Image to complete.

Exit the imager and eject the SD card.

Thanks to KE4EST for ideas on this.
le to everybody else (image). Not by turning off the ssid; but by making the video work or not typical buy. like setting the password; but encrypter of the link typed property attachment but heavier and owned by each user typed powers?

Last edited:
Like raspberry pie...it needs the on/off button on it! root and password easy.

I will tell you a story, the most of the problems I have is I forget to plug them in first! It must be that I plug all the wires into it first. Then I need to plug it in; hit the power switch. easy

I am downloading the OS

Last edited:
Last PC Card I found was dvb-s; pci16 i think with 32 bitttly old pc compared to today; but it had it all on a CD; and we had an iso burner (which is which roday). Whatever channel i wanted to hook it to times are long gone today cuz i watch the networks tv, me,; and it was all in the clear and hd then; today it is 200 fta channels from one satellite; it worked great for free tv!. It received them then (any old dish/receiver; and today's ENG channels need the best codecs around; located in the dvb nes of the package; which allow some very interesting types of dvb-s/t reception ((more in other Countries; as DVB-S2 is the "newer or newest ways to go" in America it is fully using up a number of them; like 32psk and h.264; and show in the channels scanned info buttonl

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts