Holsted Does it Again...Somebody Please HELP!!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What are you using to connect receiver to tv?It sounds like the rca cables are plugged into the wrong output on the receiver.I saw one person with this problem and they had cables connected to HD (R G B) @ receiver and (R W Y) @ TV.Look at the back of receiver and make sure that the cables are in the correct output,then check tv also.

I am assuming you have a HD receiver based on the info that you also have the Aquas tv.

like I said,its not the lines from the dish ,its something between the receiver and the tv!Try different connection methods,theres 3 different video connections s-video,composite,and coax.Try all three see if theres any difference.Also is this happening on all channels or just locals,cuz some markets locals look real bad on d*.

Can you post pics of the TV image?

I had this happen to me once.....turns out I had the incorrect settings *on my TV* for my component inputs. Instead of PyPrPb I had RGB. The Matrix looked even more green than normal ;) and the background was blurred/"zebra-d" (if you do MiniDV/photography work you'll know what Im talking about, basically black and white lines going diagonally thru the picture). You may also have to "line up" this setting between the TV and the D* receiver. Your neighbors digital cable connection may have only one type of output, or it might just have been set at the right spot. Also check your output resolution on the D* box if its changeable.

I dont know how you have it connected (i.e. component, etc) but this might be something to look into. Id still be interested in screen caps though, might make it easier to determine whats going on.

FWIW, Halstead did my initial install about 4 years ago, then came back a year later to add another receiver. Even though they cancelled a couple times on the additional receiver appt, I never had a problem with their work. In fact I was quite impressed with them because during the initial install they took a LOT of time to find the best place for my dish without being able to see it from the road. Most people dont even know I have sat because the dish is so hard to find. But I guess a lot can change in 4 years :)

-Chris

Last edited:
Tom Cahill said:
What are you using to connect receiver to tv?It sounds like the rca cables are plugged into the wrong output on the receiver.I saw one person with this problem and they had cables connected to HD (R G B) @ receiver and (R W Y) @ TV.Look at the back of receiver and make sure that the cables are in the correct output,then check tv also.

I am assuming you have a HD receiver based on the info that you also have the Aquas tv.

no tom, he has an R-10 tivo, and its been replaced three times

chrisexv6 said:
Can you post pics of the TV image?

I had this happen to me once.....turns out I had the incorrect settings *on my TV* for my component inputs. Instead of PyPrPb I had RGB. The Matrix looked even more green than normal ;) and the background was blurred/"zebra-d" (if you do MiniDV/photography work you'll know what Im talking about, basically black and white lines going diagonally thru the picture). You may also have to "line up" this setting between the TV and the D* receiver. Your neighbors digital cable connection may have only one type of output, or it might just have been set at the right spot. Also check your output resolution on the D* box if its changeable.

I dont know how you have it connected (i.e. component, etc) but this might be something to look into. Id still be interested in screen caps though, might make it easier to determine whats going on.

FWIW, Halstead did my initial install about 4 years ago, then came back a year later to add another receiver. Even though they cancelled a couple times on the additional receiver appt, I never had a problem with their work. In fact I was quite impressed with them because during the initial install they took a LOT of time to find the best place for my dish without being able to see it from the road. Most people dont even know I have sat because the dish is so hard to find. But I guess a lot can change in 4 years :)

-Chris

chris, that is the problem, i think (resolution settings) but phil says he cant get into the tv commands to change them. why?? i dont know.

when you go into the picture menu on the aquas, all you get is the menu for contrast, color, sharpness, backlight....I cannot find an option for resolution....How do i take a picture of the tv screen so that all can see this problem?

there are clouds of green in the background, all the connections are correct....i am trying it all....

Ive read all of the threads on this but couldnt find a quick concise answer.

1. What are you connecting? A SD or HD satellite receiver?
2. What form of connection are you using? Component? DVI/HDMI? Composite? RF?
3. If you can, snap a pic of the inputs on the back of your set. With and without the wires connected
4. You said DVD works fine. Have you tried disconnecting the DVD from the TV and plugging the receiver in in the exact same input? If DVD really does work fine, its probably not the TV, and it sounds like you are trying to use an HD box and have the output res on the wrong setting or you are trying to input HD into an SD-only input on the TV.

You probably cant set the resolution in the TV. But depending on what input you connect to on the TV it may or may not set the resolution for you. I mentioned switching resolutions more for the receiver side, in the case that you have an HD receiver. Some panels might not take all resolutions that the box can put out so you have to "match" them up. However using a composite input eliminates this as an issue. Do you know anyone else with DirecTV? have you tried moving your receiver there and see if it works OK? That woudl eliminate the receiver as the issue. Or even take it to a store that has a directv hookup and just ask them to try it out.

If you cant post pics, email them to me at the address in my user profile.

-Chris

About Holsted not coming out...

I seen this happen at another HSP I worked for and has probably happened with many others. What happened is the custumer has unrealistic expectations or can not be satisfied. He is going over to his friends house and seeing HD and is going back to his house and not seeing the quality on his sd tivo going into a crappy LCD. He doesn't want to listen and nothing anyone ever does will help. So Holstead is in the process of cutting their responsibilty to D' for him. I have seen these things go as far as Directv and Dish cutting the customer off completely.

Maybe I am wrong but I bet this is what is going on. I know I feel sorry for the poor tech's going out to this guys house. His account is becoming legondary at the local Holsted office.

Thats why Im asking for screen caps :) "green clouds all over the place" could indicate a real issue.

Or he's just exhaggerating something that might be normal.

But with his description I tend to think its a real issue.

-Chris

Read all of his posts in all of his different threads and you will see the problem changes and grows. Normally an installer would only put up a single dish at an install but these guys have went all out and still he is not satified.

I have dealt with with customers like what Turd is saying. I had one in California who is legendary with all the Techs. And there is one or two like that here in Texas (my part of the country). Retailers have a big party when their customer (like what Turd is saying)go to Dtv and gvie the ball to an Hsp Tech, therfore no longer thier(the retailer) responsbility. And that cust is now legendary with all the Hsp techs.

chrisexv6 said:
Ive read all of the threads on this but couldnt find a quick concise answer.

1. What are you connecting? A SD or HD satellite receiver?
2. What form of connection are you using? Component? DVI/HDMI? Composite? RF?
3. If you can, snap a pic of the inputs on the back of your set. With and without the wires connected
4. You said DVD works fine. Have you tried disconnecting the DVD from the TV and plugging the receiver in in the exact same input? If DVD really does work fine, its probably not the TV, and it sounds like you are trying to use an HD box and have the output res on the wrong setting or you are trying to input HD into an SD-only input on the TV.

You probably cant set the resolution in the TV. But depending on what input you connect to on the TV it may or may not set the resolution for you. I mentioned switching resolutions more for the receiver side, in the case that you have an HD receiver. Some panels might not take all resolutions that the box can put out so you have to "match" them up. However using a composite input eliminates this as an issue. Do you know anyone else with DirecTV? have you tried moving your receiver there and see if it works OK? That woudl eliminate the receiver as the issue. Or even take it to a store that has a directv hookup and just ask them to try it out.

If you cant post pics, email them to me at the address in my user profile.

-Chris

chris ,

he has an SD R-10 TIVO, he is using rca jacks and S-VIDEO

charper he told me this is the THIRD R-10 he has had there.

he HAS to get into the advanced program menu and kick on the auto detect for the resolution, or lock it manually in the 480 slot.

I would sure love to see some pics of the actual screen/trouble. Heck, maybe no access to a digital camera, but for a few bucks and a possible solution he could run to the store, grab a disposable, snap a few, develop to disc, and post them here. I mean geez this is getting weird. It is still pointing more and more to the display to receiver interaction to me for some reason.

Last edited:
dragon002 said:
charper he told me this is the THIRD R-10 he has had there.

he HAS to get into the advanced program menu and kick on the auto detect for the resolution, or lock it manually in the 480 slot.

But if he used "RCA cables" in the correct input it would be 480 *only* in the TV. I believe when you use the composite (yellow) connection for video on the set it locks into 480 regardless. Svideo could cause the green issue as well, but for troubleshooting Id stick with composite from the Tivo to the TV, and make sure to use a non-HD capable input on the back of the TV. He said DVD works fine, which might not be 100% helpful if its a progressive scan and/or upconverting DVD player. But like I suggested before, plug the Tivo into an input that is known to work with the DVD player and take it from there.

Screen shots would still be the most helpful thing in the world.

I am not nor have not made any trouble, i do not want HD or an HD tv receiver, i had Directv for 7 years now and this was a movers program install....Everything was fine until they ran the other dish for the locals....the picture changed....the clarity is anoying and I have a Digital camera, i will take the pics and just as before I will take them and post them. You can all see the pics of the original install, they are in one of the past threads.
Also, I am sunonimous at Holsted cause they cannot figure the problem out. They were standing in my living room laughing making my wife uncomfortable, by their lack of professionalism. I do not nor will not lie, and I could care less about the greatest picture in the world, I care about a picture that makes you feel comfortable, and doesn't make you second guess why you are paying for this service. I just want a picture without being blury, i just want to sit down and watch TV with my family and not have a person, or the background get blocky and unclear....I will send some pics to Chrisexv6. I will send pics of both TV's, and the connecting ports, And the picture. I will try to fix this problem as I am just used to a certain quality that Directv gives the picture as I have been a customer for so many years and I can tell the difference.

dragon002 said:
chris ,

he has an SD R-10 TIVO, he is using rca jacks and S-VIDEO

Could he have the yellow video AND the Svideo hooked up? I've seen tvs do nutty things when both are hooked up to the same set of inputs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)