Home AV Satellite Wiring

jmouland

Jan 27, 2009
Canada
Hey all,
First I would like to thank everyone for the input and apologize for the long post but I wanted to provide as much detail as possible to get the most useful info. First I will list questions I have and then after that will be listed specific details on each room’s requirements. Please keep in mind I am looking for the most economic solution that enables future expandability.

- Can I run HD video from my Satellite receivers in the AV Closet to my video devices in each room using RG6? Is this the preferred method?
- Is it a bad idea to have any of the components listed below in my AV Closet?
- Will running one RG6 cable to each volume control enable future upgradability to a whole house control system?
- How would I accomplish the IPod functionality so plugging it in would override any other input and play the IPod on that one ceiling speaker
- How would I accomplish switching between Sirius radio and a video device for any specific room?
- Please offer any other critiques/suggestions you may have

AV Closet Components

RX-V630 AV Receiver (Currently own this so would like to find a way to use it)
HTR-6160 Dual Zone AV Receiver (Need to buy this for Dual Zone functionality)
HD/PVR Satellite Receiver (Currently own this)
HD Satellite Receiver (Currently own this)
Sirius Satellite Radio Receiver
EtherFast 4124 24-Port 10/100 Ethernet Switch (Will buy this)
Some Sort of AV Switch (I will add this on in the future so than I can access any of my components in any room)

Common functionality in Living Room, Bedroom, Ensuite, Guest Room #1 and Guest Room #2

- Phone (Home Run to Basement Closet)
- Internet Accessible (Home Run to router in Basement Closet)
- Satellite TV Accessible (Home Run to Satellite Receiver in Basement Closet)
- Blu-Ray Player Accessible (Home Run to Blue-Ray in Basement Closet)
- PS3 Accessible (Home Run to PS3 in Basement Closet)

Common functionality in Living Room, Bedroom, Ensuite, Guest Room #1 and Guest Room #2, Dining Room, Kitchen, Back Deck

- Ceiling Speaker for Sirius and TV (Home Run to Yamaha Receiver in Basement Closet)
- IPod Jack (When plugged in plays iPod on only this speaker)
- Volume Control (Manual at first but upgradable to whole house control)
- IR Relay (Home Run to Basement Closet)

Living Room

- Surround Sound (Home Run to Yamaha Receiver in Basement Closet)

Apartment Bedroom

- RG6 Accessible (Home Run to Basement Closet)

Apartment Living Room

- RG6 Accessible (Home Run to Basement Closet)

Apartment Kitchen

Last edited:
Wow. what an impossible to read first post.....lol

- Can I run HD video from my Satellite receivers in the AV Closet to my video devices in each room using RG6? Is this the preferred method?
Yes but not using 1 RG6, for HD Video and Stereo Sound you will require 5 x RG6 lines. For HD Video & Dolby Sound you will require 3 x RG6 and an optical cable.

Do both your Bell receivers have UHF remotes.?

Sorry about that they seem to have removed all my spacing

My goal is to have all the Bell Recievers int he basement AV Closet so that in the future I can use a AV switch to make any reciever accessible to any room

Wouldn't it be cheaper/better to run CAT6 for all the video? Sound I could run on regular speaker wire?

Wow. what an impossible to read first post.....lol

Yes but not using 1 RG6, for HD Video and Stereo Sound you will require 5 x RG6 lines. For HD Video & Dolby Sound you will require 3 x RG6 and an optical cable.

Do both your Bell receivers have UHF remotes.?

I don't really want to rain on your parade but what you are looking at is incredibly complex from a wiring and switching perspective.

This past summer I decided to integrate and share the equipment between my home theater and my den. It involved sharing a Comcast PVR, a Bell TV 9242, A DVD Recorder, and two DVD Players. I also added some connectivity for sound from my PC. It took me the better part of a week and the wiring and switching just connecting two rooms was not insignificant either in labor or in cost.

Getting the remote control aspects just right was also a time consuming task. I had several attempts where I would have to work back and find what had not switched or turned on properly. Remember if the family can't use it you will be in a whole load of bother.:D

If I ever add another room, I am pretty sure I will just rent or buy dedicated equipment and not try and add to the rat's nest of wires.

Thanks for the reply, here is what I was thinking

- Use HDMI baluns on CAT6 for my video and stereo sound, have 2 runs of CAT6 for this purpose to each potential video device (Living Room, Master Bedroom, Ensuite, Guest Bedrooms)

- Use 4X3 HDMI Matrix Switch with two Sat Recievers in AV Closet and my PS3 in living room Home Run to AV closet by CAT6 so that I can pause a movie in the living room and start watching it again in any other room

- Feed the audio from my devices into a triple zone av reciever (This should enable me to watch/listen to 3 different input sources in 3 different zones)
In each room ...

- Have one run of CAT6 to each volume control for future upgradeability
- Have one run of CAT6 to each phone location
- Have one run of CAT6 for Internet
- Have one run of CAT6 for IR Relay
- Have one run of CAT6 for Future Unknowns

Home run all speakers to AV reciever in closet

How does this sound? What am I missing or misunderstanding:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts