homemade dish mover idea!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Techfizzle

Banned
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
ok there is not much left on analog, and my drake makes the room hot, plus it takes up space.

im thinking of making something that takes a 36 volt trasformer, housed seperate from the unit (so my computer station is not a heater)

two switches housed on top, for east and west,

a little dial on top, where i can mark satellites

what i need to know is how do you switch dc? if there is only two wires, how do you make something that allows you switch polarties, and induce the voltage to the motor?

Attachments

• sp.jpg
    sp.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 272
You should have just bought a 920 or a 922 instead of a 905.:D

But since you didn't why don't you get a Gbox and use it with a FTA receiver and slave the 905 off of it.

Here's the schematic to switch polarities. Just get a double pole double throw switch.

you connect two wires between the outside poles. They look like an X but shouldn't touch. The battery or power supply goes on the left side. The wires to the actuator go to the middle connections.

Having said this, I think that idea is really poor.

I would do what kbghdg said. Or better yet, keep your Drake or other C-band receiver to move the actuator. This costs less money

By the way, how is your neighbor's hole doing?

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 263
You should have just bought a 920 or a 922 instead of a 905.:D

But since you didn't why don't you get a Gbox and use it with a FTA receiver and slave the 905 off of it.

because i dont have $90 to shell out for a gbox

Here's the schematic to switch polarities. Just get a double pole double throw switch.

you connect two wires between the outside poles. They look like an X but shouldn't touch. The battery or power supply goes on the left side. The wires to the actuator go to the middle connections.

Having said this, I think that idea is really poor.

I would do what kbghdg said. Or better yet, keep your Drake or other C-band receiver to move the actuator. This costs less money

By the way, how is your neighbor's hole doing?
Now remember who your talking to so this may be to complicated for him. Since he seems to be short on money he'd be better off using a rope and pulley system to move the dish.

Sergei said:
Now remember who your talking to so this may be to complicated for him. Since he seems to be short on money he'd be better off using a rope and pulley system to move the dish.

with marks on the rope for satellite locations , and use a boat anchor crank to reel in the rope, maybe you can run the rope through the air with your coax. :D

with marks on the rope for satellite locations , and use a boat anchor crank to reel in the rope, maybe you can run the rope through the air with your coax. :D
I was thinking more along the line of the old clothes line setup using the pulley that you use to see in the city years ago hanging between buildings. And I agree adding the marks would make it easier for him to find the locations.

I saw the title and without even looking, I knew who the OP was..........

:rant:USE THE DRAKE! DON'T TEAR IT APART. YOU WILL NOT GAIN ANYTHING. YOU WILL LOSE ANY CONVENIENCE YOU ALREADY HAVE. YOUR DRAKE RECEIVER IS NOT CREATING THAT MUCH HEAT. I THOUGHT YOU WERE AN ELECTRONICS "EXPERT". AS SUCH, WIRING A SIMPLE DPDT SWITCH IS A PIECE OF CAKE. YES, I'M AWARE I'M YELLING.........I MEANT TO YELL......IF THERE WERE AN UPPER UPPER CASE I'D BE USING IT!:rant:

Do a search on the 'net (craigslist, ebay, etc.) and find a STS MBS-AA antenna control unit or similar unit. They are dedicated units for operating the antenna actuator. And since they're from the olden days, they can be found on the cheap. Good luck.

Do a search on the 'net (craigslist, ebay, etc.) and find a STS MBS-AA antenna control unit
You mean like this one. More work than it's worth if you ask me.

Attachments

• dish mover 001.jpg
    dish mover 001.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 202
  • dish mover 002.jpg
    dish mover 002.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 198
  • dish mover 003.jpg
    dish mover 003.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 201
LOL

What INNO said, haha. (wiping eyes lol).
If the OP would find something else to concentrate on! >Everything he can think of, was already thought through 20years ago. They made these actuators , and polarotors and other parts to perform a task. Use them, out-dated as they may be, they still work better than any off-the-wall idea you could hatch.

If you want to build something, by all means build it, but dont trash a working piece of gear to do it. If the amount of heat an analog rx generates is an issue, your real issue is your climate control system.
The jack will operate satisfactorily from ~12 vdc up, just wont run as fast.
You should be able to build one of these for next to nothing
http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Computer-ATX-Power-Supply-to-a-Lab-Power-Supply
for a good GP low voltage, high current power supply, and being class D (switching) and fan cooled, should add next to nothing to room heat and noise.
If you can figure out how to isolate the commons, you should be able to series the outputs for higher voltage output.
Be sure to discharge filter caps before doing anything to the circuit and dont electrocute yourself.

fissile, if you are going to use a 12 volt supply you might have an auto battery charger lying around... That will work.

melgarga, don't those switching power supplies freak out if there's no load on them?

EDIT:
That wikihow artucle had a funny in it:
This will almost certainly void any warranty.

Go figure...

Last edited:
12 volts?!?! what are you on? that would take all day to move

i have been shocked many times by 120 in my computer buidling days, doesnt hurt too bad, like someone shaking your arm really fast.

10,000 volts from a plasma lamp does pack a punch though (been there)

lonewolf said he would make that postioner mine for a small price

i have stuff going off ebay sunday, and have a sharp notevision projector to buy, so if i have any money left, il higly consider it

With 12V it will move about 1/3 of the rated speed of the rated 36V, but it will still move. If you have been shocked that many times then you obviously know very little about safe working practices around electricity. If you plan on a long life working around electricity I would suggest you learn the proper way. I know a few electricians and tech repair people and NONE of them have ever been shocked in their entire personal or professional lives.

And by the way 12V you will never get a shock, 24-36V you may feel a little buzz if you are standing in a puddle, 36V and above be careful as it's not the voltage that will kill you it is the amperage than the line can put out at the line voltage. In other wise the POWER that runs through your heart.

Guapoharry, if you follow that link you will see they a 10 ohm, 10 watt resister for a dummy load so it can operate.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)