Homemade HD antennas

kmham

Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Eastern Iowa
The original thread that I was reading is closed which is...
http://www.satelliteguys.us/digital-over-air-ota/119733-very-good-2-00-homemade-antenna-hdtv-4.html

But I had some questions in the above thread so I have to start a new thread...sorry to jump in 6 months later.

I really don't know anything about this stuff, but your thread has been very helpful and I believe that I will be able to build my new antenna today with just the scrap stuff that I have in my garage.

But I do have a question. Believe it or not, I don't own a single wire hanger - wife when all plastic several years ago:) And I'm not sure stores even sell them. However, I'm a regular home hobbyist and I have plenty of house wiring supplies: 14ga, 12ga, 10ga, and maybe even some heavier stuff.

So instead of using the hangers, could I use standard copper wiring? Which gauge would you recommend? Is too heavy a bad thing? I'm assuming that I'll use either the 12 or 10 gauge. I'm assuming the stiffer the better so it doesn't flex/shake/move around, etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Yes, you can use anything; I used Romex.

The problem with the bowtie antenna is that it's shockingly sensitive to variation in wire diameter and dimensions. The performance of that antenna is dependent not only on the gauge of the wire in the downleads but their distance from each other.

For $25 (shipped), you can get an Eagle Aspen 2-bay bowtie antenna that will perform better than one that you can build.

http://www.summitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=6505{27}97

Well this is not home made, and it works actually pretty good bringing the HD channels using a Zenith converter box at the in-laws. Total cost 99cents

ist2_1238611_rabbit_ears.jpg

Any type of metal in theory would work. Supposedly the larger the diameter of the elements the better. I think the only real limitations would be size and weight, if it's small enough and light enough to be of practical use, go for it! As mentioned, rigidity is also a good thing.

Believe it or not...
one of these
33585.jpg

A small, thin PAPER CLIP stuck in the RF jack straightened out so it sticks out in a straight line out of my TV picks up all the local channels.

The $29 antenna picks up channels from an adjacent market too. :)

See ya
Tony

The original thread that I was reading is closed which is...
http://www.satelliteguys.us/digital-over-air-ota/119733-very-good-2-00-homemade-antenna-hdtv-4.html

But I had some questions in the above thread so I have to start a new thread...sorry to jump in 6 months later.

I really don't know anything about this stuff, but your thread has been very helpful and I believe that I will be able to build my new antenna today with just the scrap stuff that I have in my garage.

But I do have a question. Believe it or not, I don't own a single wire hanger - wife when all plastic several years ago:) And I'm not sure stores even sell them. However, I'm a regular home hobbyist and I have plenty of house wiring supplies: 14ga, 12ga, 10ga, and maybe even some heavier stuff.

So instead of using the hangers, could I use standard copper wiring? Which gauge would you recommend? Is too heavy a bad thing? I'm assuming that I'll use either the 12 or 10 gauge. I'm assuming the stiffer the better so it doesn't flex/shake/move around, etc.

Many thanks in advance.
The 10ga will work fine. There is a huge thread on DIY antennas on the Lumenlab site. You have to register to view it.

My DIY UHF (HD) antenna photo, results, & gauge...3/32"

I made one (UHF since there is no true HD) from the standard instructions that I found but don't recall the site. I used a 14 1/4" multi threaded copper spiraled wire that is covered in plastic I found at Lowes. I don't know what it is called. I had to strip the plastic sleeve and uncoil & straighten individual strands of wire. There were 2 gauges of wire inside. 1 was between 5/64" and 1/16" (didn't use) and the other was 3/32" (used it because it was about the size of a thick coat hanger used in the instructions).

It seems that the smaller 24" to 32" outdoor antennas used inside and hung on a window work best and I beleive that. Below are links to my tests outdoors and a photo. One is of my homemade UHF ('HD') antenna.

Thread with test results:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/digital...ill-amplifier-improve-signal-new-antenna.html

Photo:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=38883&d=1245525696

I used an 8 inch piece of RG6 with a F connector. Bend as needed. Put a little of the center insulation at the tip to keep me from blinding myself !

Works fine for my Hartford area stations.

Attachments

• DSC00209.JPG
    DSC00209.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 1,399
I made one (UHF since there is no true HD) from the standard instructions that I found but don't recall the site. I used a 14 1/4" multi threaded copper spiraled wire that is covered in plastic I found at Lowes. I don't know what it is called. I had to strip the plastic sleeve and uncoil & straighten individual strands of wire. There were 2 gauges of wire inside. 1 was between 5/64" and 1/16" (didn't use) and the other was 3/32" (used it because it was about the size of a thick coat hanger used in the instructions).

It seems that the smaller 24" to 32" outdoor antennas used inside and hung on a window work best and I beleive that. Below are links to my tests outdoors and a photo. One is of my homemade UHF ('HD') antenna.

Thread with test results:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/digital...ill-amplifier-improve-signal-new-antenna.html

Photo:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=38883&d=1245525696

The wire with the oil resistant clear plastic coating is refeered to as THHN or THWN and is commonly used in conduit runs and for wiring equipment and machinery.

I used an 8 inch piece of RG6 with a F connector. Bend as needed. Put a little of the center insulation at the tip to keep me from blinding myself !

Works fine for my Hartford area stations.

I just did the same for my HDTV. I have a powered antennae (indoor) and damn that thing...it works almost half the time. If it loses "sync" with the big towers..I hafta fiddle with it until it"re-syncs"..so I saw your post and I have tons of old cable laying round.

What I did was I made it to be like 5 feet long so it could reach the window and made a foot long wire with the center insulation. Hooked it right up..getting locals without the powered antennae. Will test and see how it works. So far its working better than before..but then again, It wont be such a loss since I have tons laying round tho. Thanks for the tip!

My fringe OTA evaluation

I've spent a week on the roof outside. Here is my evaluation. Yes, if you're using paper clips or rabbit ears, you're watching the only stations really worth watching. Forget the weak ones. They'll just drive you crazy trying to get them to come in.

I've gone to the web sites which show the stations available for my area. They are few now. I live in the Central Savannah River area between Savannah, Ga, Augusta, Ga, Columbia, SC and Charleston, SC. Previously, I could rotate my antenna and get all four cities -- albeit it snowy on my analog set.

The web site shows I can only get Augusta, Ga now. And its true!!!!

I put up a fancy eight-bay uhf antenna last week trying to get my converter box to work. Never did on one of my old analog tv's. And that's another story. But I do keep on scanning channels and last night was getting Myrtle Beach, SC crystal clear for a couple of hours. So all the best antennas are doing is taking advantage of optimal weather conditions because stations will not come in unless you're receiving them at high quality. If you're trying to bring in a weak signal, you'll continue to be plagued with problem after problem doing so.

During the day I get Augusta. At night I get Augusta and Savannah. On good nights I get Augusta, Savannah and Columbia. On very good nights there's really no telling what might come in. There doesn't seem to be much logic to any of it. It all depends on the weather or something!!!!

But if you're using rabbit ears to get channels, you're not really on the fringe of anything.:cool::cool::cool:

Coat Hanger antenna

Hi everybody, my first day on the forum so be gentle. :D
I made the coat hanger antenna using Romex and it works fair, 50-70% signal strength. Being one who wants better, I'm wondering if anyone has made a coat hanger antenna but larger. I haven't decided if I'll try wider ( longer bowties ) or taller, ( more bowties ). Any thoughts on this?

Making larger antennas doesn't necessarily give you better signals. The length of the elements is designed to pick up a specific set of frequencies. Unless the stations you are having trouble with broadcast in the VHF band, making a longer element will not help you.

I found that putting the antenna away from any electrical appliances (TVs and home entertainment centers included) will bring in better signal since there is less RF interference to deal with.

If you take a look at the "large" UHF antennas that sell for mucho bucks, what you see is a larger reflector behind the elements and not larger elements.

BTW-my own stupid question.... you did remove the insulation from the entire length of romex you used, right?

Also, what gage cable did you use? Is it about the same thickness as your average coat hanger? Or is it the thin stuff 16 or 18 gage wire? That could make a difference too.

Good luck!
Tony

Hi everybody, my first day on the forum so be gentle. :D
I made the coat hanger antenna using Romex and it works fair, 50-70% signal strength. Being one who wants better, I'm wondering if anyone has made a coat hanger antenna but larger. I haven't decided if I'll try wider ( longer bowties ) or taller, ( more bowties ). Any thoughts on this?

TNGTony is right about bigger not being better. Higher frequencies use smaller antennae, or element length.

Try stronger and smaller. Grabbit Ears outperforms all indoor antennae that I have experienced (powered or not), and even outperforms the Wineguard and Channel Master, 4 and 8 bay antennae.

3-bay, long range, non-powered, compact, high gain, omni-directional, and excellent multi-path handling, are characteristics of Grabbit Ears. Make one and tell us how it does.

GrabBit Ears

If someone has a more effective design, I'd sure like to try it!

Home made antenna

Hey thanks for the replies guys. No problem about the question, yes I stripped the insulation. I think I used 12 gauge copper. I won't bother going bigger now thanks to your info. I would not mind buying an antenna, but I have read about so many that just don't perform all that well. The way I have mine set-up, I am getting a pretty consistent signal but still occasional drops.

I needed a channel 13 antenna so I made a three element yagi with a wooden boom and using adjustable cafe curtain rods for elements. I added 12 gauge wire to the bottom of the feed element to make it into a folded dipole and connect to the balun.

I got the idea at the thrift store when I saw the rods for $1.25.

I needed a channel 13 antenna so I made a three element yagi with a wooden boom and using adjustable cafe curtain rods for elements. I added 12 gauge wire to the bottom of the feed element to make it into a folded dipole and connect to the balun.

I got the idea at the thrift store when I saw the rods for $1.25.

Got any pics?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)