Honest assessment - clear stream 4

wkomorow

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
Berkshire, MA
I'd be interested in hearing from people who have a clear stream 4 about its qualities. Hillly area with stations 45 miles away p Already have a yagi antenna that is doing ok, but not great.

What antenna are you currently using?

I don't have a C-4, but my neighbor does. His does well on UHF, but not as good as the 91XG. The C-4 is not great on VHF unless the signal is moderately strong. I get better results on VHF with a small RCA ANT-751.

I'd be interested in hearing from people who have a clear stream 4 about its qualities. Hillly area with stations 45 miles away p Already have a yagi antenna that is doing ok, but not great.

What is your zip code? What is your primary DMA? When I lived in Leyden CH3 Hartford was the only TV available because of the valley I was in. I think it was ch 32 that had a repeater only a few miles away but signal went over the valley.

boba said:
What is your zip code? What is your primary DMA? When I lived in Leyden CH3 Hartford was the only TV available because of the valley I was in. I think it was ch 32 that had a repeater only a few miles away but signal went over the valley.

01201 - I have a channel master deep fringe for VHF, which gets me RF 6 7 12 13 no problem. UHF. I have a 91x (I checked the picture of this) - and get RF 26, 29 (both Wktv and Wuni - dependind on the direction I point it), I can no longer get RF 34, which I want RF 43. Winters I get RF 22 and 40 from Springfield. I can also adjust my antenna and get 28, I can not get 36 when I point in the correct direction. My antennas are 35 ft off the ground. 7 quad pre-amp. Both antennas on rotors. Beginning about 4 weeks ago, I lost all channels in the RF 30 and 40 range, so I need to replaced the antenna. Reviews of the clear stream have been good, but I am interested in what real owners have to say. I am keeping my VHF antenna as is.

No Static At All said:
I'm assuming you are using a Channel Master 7777 preamp & 91XG antenna? Do you have the FM trap turned on?

Yes. Even with it on, I can not get RF 11 from Springfield. There is a radio tower directtly in the way. Again the behavior has been only the last four weeks. Previously, I was able to get 34 no problem. Can't be leaves, etc since RF 26 is fine and RF 50 is fine, just can not get anything in the 30s or 40s. I have had my setup for several years without any problems. If there was a problem specific with the setup, then I should have issues across the spectrum? I figured that there must be damage to some of the elements and plan to replace the antenna.

I was really hoping North Adams or Pittsfield wasn't going to be your location, oh well. Albany,N.Y. looks like your DMA by default. MXU59 would be a UHF antenna you might consider but you already have one of the best for fringe area reception. Have you checked all your fittings on the UHF line from what my sister has told me you have had a very wet spring. Corrosion on the copper conducter could cause loss of signal at specific frequencies and probably would happen easier than elements being broken off an antenna.

How old is the antenna? If the balun or any of the elements are broken/defective Antennas direct will replace them free of charge.

Did the loss of reception happen all at once, or was it more gradual? Since your reception is better in the winter, seems as though the leaves on the trees may be attenuating the signal reaching the antenna somewhat.

You could try raising/lowering the antenna in 6 inch increments to see if you can find a better sweet spot for the problem channels. A few inches can make quite a difference even with relatively strong signals.

If you have some sort of way to view signal quality out at the antenna (like a converter box with signal meter and portable TV) try eliminating the pre-amp by going straight into the signal monitoring setup and see if the problem persists.

If you are using a CM 7777 pre-amp: The ones I have used do not grip the central core of the coax very well and that can effect some channels and not others. I periodically have to clean the central copper core (as boba indicated) and re-tighten/reposition the connection to regain maximum signal.

Unless something drastic has happened to the antenna I would doubt that it is the problem.

Hope this helps,

DRCars

OK, I pointed my antenna due south (went out side looked at the antenna to confirm), and the northwest RF 34 and 43 are coming in at 73% with no drop off. There are no trees anywhere near my house and I have never had problems in the summer getting Albany stations before. Could it be leaf out? or does it still sound like a terminal issue?

OK, I pointed my antenna due south (went out side looked at the antenna to confirm), and the northwest RF 34 and 43 are coming in at 73% with no drop off. There are no trees anywhere near my house and I have never had problems in the summer getting Albany stations before. Could it be leaf out? or does it still sound like a terminal issue?
OK antenna is pointing at 180 degrees due south, you are receiving signals from Albany N.Y. towers that are 287 degrees from you. That means you are receiving a reflected signal probably from a mountain(Taconic Mountains?). Has there been any construction such as a water tower or other elevated structure with a lot of metal in it. I don't mean something next door probably miles away but is reflecting the signal you used to receive. Forget about rotors and replacing antennas you need to start trying to find a place on your property that will get a signal from Albany consistently so you can go back to watching your network channels. Try different elevations having the antenna lower might find that needed sweet spot. Try TV Fool it may give you a better idea of what your situation is.

On another forum, it was recommended that I try hook my antenna to my TV tuner. I have no problem connected to my TV. Only when hooked to my dish receiver - same coax - do I have issues with RF 30-40. This has only been since the last software release - hmm. Back to my original question - anyone who actually has a clear stream 4 - how well does it work?

I have no problem connected to my TV. Only when hooked to my dish receiver - same coax - do I have issues with RF 30-40. This has only been since the last software release - hmm.

Ok, before you think about a new antenna, try to find where the problem is. I do not have a CS4, but it is not that much of a difference in performance from your 91XG to make a huge difference in what you have now.
Now, you say that the problem is only when hooked to the same coax as your dish receiver. First to try, run a separate line from the antenna, to the pre-amplifier, down to the power box for the pre-amplifier, and then directly into your tv tunner.
If I am reading your posts correctly, you use a diplexer to feed one coax with both your satellite and TV antenna signals. The CM-7777 pre amplifier needs a direct connection from the power box to the pre-amplifier with nothing but a single piece of coax in between. No splitters.

Larry1 said:
Ok, before you think about a new antenna, try to find where the problem is. I do not have a CS4, but it is not that much of a difference in performance from your 91XG to make a huge difference in what you have now.
Now, you say that the problem is only when hooked to the same coax as your dish receiver. First to try, run a separate line from the antenna, to the pre-amplifier, down to the power box for the pre-amplifier, and then directly into your tv tunner.
If I am reading your posts correctly, you use a diplexer to feed one coax with both your satellite and TV antenna signals. The CM-7777 pre amplifier needs a direct connection from the power box to the pre-amplifier with nothing but a single piece of coax in between. No splitters.

No, I am saying I have one line - no separaters and I run it directly to my dish receiver - a few weeks ago, I started having issues with RF 30-45 - never had an issue before. I do not have any other tuner on my antenna. I unscrewed the coax from my dish receiver and screwed it into my TV - no issues on my TV. Returned it to my dish receiver - problem again. Put it back on my TV, no problem. My antenna will not work with my dish receiver unless I get a signal over 75, which I can only get as a reflection off a south mountain. The clear stream is non-directional and captures only the strongest signal eliminating multi-pathing. I am asking people who have one how it works.

Ok, so using the TV antenna input in the dish receiver, the signal is too weak to receive RF 30-45. However if you plug the antenna directly into your TV the signal is enough to receive RF 30-45. So your Dish receiver requires a greater signal to receive the channels. You already have a very good high gain pre-amplifier, so adding a second amplifier is not recommended. I believe the ClearStream 4 receives signal from a much wider angle than the 91XG. (do not see the specs listed) The 91XG is very directional.