Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
OK....ran into an issue and just wan to confirm.

The Pansat 9200 had a HDMI output and the HDTV I have has 2 HDMI inputs so I used one cable and got both audio & video through that HDMI cable.

The Q (Quali-TV) has a DVI output so I bought a DVI-HDMI cable and got it today in the mail. Hooked it up and have pic but no sound. On the back of my Panasonic there are red & white cables below the HDMI input that says "HDMI 1 audio in"

So I guess I need to hook those up to? How come the DVI to HDMI cable doesn't carry audio but the HDMI-HDMI cable does? Or is it a function of the receiver?

Its no biggie but I wanted to connect the Q to the HDMI on the HDTV and the a/v cables to the Hard drive/DVD recorder.

It's not a part of the standard. :)

Pin # Signal Name
1 TMDS Data2-
2 TMDS Data2+
3 TMDS Data2/4 Shield
4 TMDS Data4-
5 TMDS Data4+
6 DDC Clock [SCL]
7 DDC Data [SDA]
8 Analog vertical sync
9 TMDS Data1-
10 TMDS Data1+
11 TMDS Data1/3 Shield
12 TMDS Data3-
13 TMDS Data3+
14 +5 V Power
15 Ground (for +5 V)
16 Hot Plug Detect
17 TMDS Data0-
18 TMDSData0+
19 TMDS Data0/5 Shield
20 TMDS Data5-
21 TMDS Data5+
22 TMDS Clock Shield
23 TMDS Clock +
24 TMDS Clock -
C1 Analog Red
C2 Analog Green
C3 Analog Blue
C4 Analog Horizontal Sync
C5 Analog GND Return: (analog R, G, B)

To be sure, you're not going to find any audio pins in the HDMI connector spec, either. It's a data packet thing - DVI transmitters do not generate audio packets, DVI receivers ignore them.

If you want sound in your HDTV from the Qualitv, you're going to have to use the L/R Audio output from the Qualitv to an input for L/R Audio on your HDTV. Or use the Optical SPDIF output from the Qualitv to an Optical SPDIF input on your HDTV.
Or you could do like me and listen through a Home Theater System.

One of the major selling points for the switchover from DVI to HDMI interfaces was the fact that HDMI can carry 5.1 digital audio, and DVI was video only. But as Voom mentioned, you can still get digital audio from the Quali using the optical port, so its just an extra cable.

Does the Quali pass AC-3?

If you want sound in your HDTV from the Qualitv, you're going to have to use the L/R Audio output from the Qualitv to an input for L/R Audio on your HDTV.
that's what I ended up doing

Or use the Optical SPDIF output from the Qualitv to an Optical SPDIF input on your HDTV.
no input for that on the TV...just output :)

Then there is the expensive option....
DVI Audio to HDMI Adapter

Here is one for Component w/ audio much Cheaper
Component Video and Audio to HDMI Converter

Interesting... I wonder if they use the same technology that ATI is currently using to incorporate Dolby Digital 5.1 into DVI on their video cards... From the HD2400 series up, ATI has 5.1 sound available from their DVI outputs, and they have a proprietary DVI-HDMI adapter available which passes the 5.1 sound to HDMI. This adapter will only do that when connected to an ATI DVI output, however...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)