Hooking Internet up to HR24 with MRV enabled

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sppunk

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Harrisburg PA
My apologies for all the questions, I'm a DirecTV newbie completely and am confusing myself the more I read this forum. LOL

I had my HR24 and H24 with MRV installed Friday, and it's working like a champ. However, when I had it installed I did not have cable Internet at my house (had a very slow DSL network that I didn't bother hooking into the receiver).

My question: When my cable Internet gets enabled, how do I hook up the connect to the HR24 for On Demand access?

Is this correct?

Coax from wall > Splitter

One coax from splitter > Power adapter

Other coax from splitter > Modem

Then, I hook up an Ethernet cable from my router (I'm getting a modem/router combo unit) into the Ethernet port of the HR24?

I've read this disables the MRV, but if so I don't know how to feed the Internet into the HR24.

With cable setup you will have coax cable into modem. From modem cat5 cable to router. (No splitters) Plugs into inlet port (WAN). ....From router you will run cat5 Ethernet cable to HR24, H24 and your computer. (This will be 3 separate Ethernet cables no splitters). So the router will need at least 3 outlet ports for the 2 HD receivers and computer. Most routers have a minimum of 4 outlet ports.

Ethernet cat5 cable will plug directly into back of receivers and your computer.
Everything will be online and on demand will work. Also media share will turn on and start working.

With cable setup you will have coax cable into modem. From modem cat5 cable to router. (No splitters) Plugs into inlet port (WAN). ....From router you will run cat5 Ethernet cable to HR24, H24 and your computer. (This will be 3 separate Ethernet cables no splitters). So the router will need at least 3 outlet ports for the 2 HD receivers and computer. Most routers have a minimum of 4 outlet ports.

Ethernet cat5 cable will plug directly into back of receivers and your computer.
Everything will be online and on demand will work. Also media share will turn on and start working.

Since he already has MRV with the Deca modules this will not work.

You need to get another Deca module with power inserter. You will plug the ethernet from the Deca into your router and the coax into you splitter used for the satellite signal. There is a good diagram in one of the threads around here that I will try to find for you.

Exactly, JAG has it. DirecTV will do this for you for $25. Cheaper than buying the DECA seperately. They should have given you that option when taking your order.

Yup, Direct did this install.

Should I call Direct or my installer? He gave me his card with 2 cell numbers and said if I had any trouble within 3 months to call him and he'll come take care of whatever is wrong.

Jag, I'd appreciate the diagram. :) I'm pretty tech savvy but for whatever reason (I think new technology that I'm not used to) I can't wrap my mind around this setup.

I currently have a black box (on it says SWM ODU only) that has a coax cable from the wall into it, and a coax cable from it going into the HR24. That's the only thing I have other than the HR24 itself.

working.jpg

OK, on this picture you want to add a DECA and power supply for that DECA and connect it to your SWM splitter via coax and your router via ethernet.

Call the installer, he may ask you to call DirecTV and have it added to the work order or a seperate work order, but it should only be $25 on a new install.

If they want much more, you can buy the DECA and power supply for around $50.

attachment.php

This pic from a user at dbstalk shows the DECA (white box) and power supply (blue adapter plugged into the extension cord, and power connected to the coax on the DECA.

Call the installer, he may ask you to call DirecTV and have it added to the work order or a seperate work order, but it should only be $25 on a new install.

He may also just install it real quick as this is normally part of the installation fee for MRV.

Here is the image that I was thinking of. I like this one a little better than some of the others.

deca.jpg

OK, thanks that helps a lot.

One question totally off-topic:

My HR24 is downstairs and the H24 is upstairs. When I'm upstairs watching a recording show, it is VERY SLOW to fast forward with considerable (4 seconds or so to begin) lag, and the FF isn't much of a FF (and this is after pressing the button many times). I feel this isn't right but don't know what the problem could be. Is it perhaps a remote setting? If not this is an issue I'm not pleased with, as it is painful to skip through shows / over commercials because it's so slow and erratic.

The remote works quickly with everything else, and the TV downstairs (connected to the HR24) is quick. It's just upstairs is very slow to ff and rw. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
working.jpg

OK, on this picture you want to add a DECA and power supply for that DECA and connect it to your SWM splitter via coax and your router via ethernet.

If they want much more, you can buy the DECA and power supply for around $50.

Shouldn't this be included when you order MRV. I mentioned the fee to the guy on the phone and he said it would all be taken care of. How do you get ahold of the installer? I have no idea who they are sending out here

Shouldn't this be included when you order MRV. I mentioned the fee to the guy on the phone and he said it would all be taken care of. How do you get ahold of the installer? I have no idea who they are sending out here

It should be included as part of the installation. You just need to say yes to the question of the use of the VOD feature when they ask about it.

Depends on how the CSR enters the order. They have two order options for MRV:

MultiRoom Upgrade/Internet Kit
or
MultiRoom Upgrade

The CSR is supposed to ask if you have high-speed internet and want access to On Demand and stuff. If so they order with the internet kit (which is an extra DECA and power inserter. Ordered with the multiroom upgrade there is no extra charge for the internet kit.

Reports are when the internet kit is ordered after the install they have done it for $25.

I guess I will just ask the tech when he gets here tomorrow. Should I turn him away if he isn't prepared with Internet kit?

Call tonight and have Directv add it to your order. This way they should be prepared.

Very strange. I have Comcast here installing my Internet and they won't use the same coax as DirectTV. They're putting another line and plate right next to my existing one (which is where DirecTV is hooked up).

So, since do I now just hook up my modem via ethernet to the DECA supplier even though they're on two "separate" coax lines?

4 room, 2 DVR, 1 DVR beside router

Ok, still trying to get this figured out. Looks like a 4-way splitter from sat. 1 pull to each room. Originally 1 cable to living room dvr, hooked to power supply (seen it documented as a deca power supply, from the labels on it, looks like a swm p/s. To get internet to all rooms, should I use the following for the living room, and just keep the single runs to the rest of the house?

deca.jpg

My deca came with it's own power supply, should I use it, or the one that looks like the one in the picture. The one I have looks like the one an earlier post, basically just a power to coax.

Noticed I just hijacked this thread. I have 2 HR24's and 2 reg receivers.

I just had this setup a few days ago . The CSR never mentioned connecting the Receiver to the Internet. I called later that day and asked that they put it on the order. Several reps said that was impossible, but that the Installer could call in the change when he was at my house. He ended up doing 45 minutes of work to get it to my computer in another room . . I wasn't charged for his labor but they were adament about me paying $25 for the DECA unit. Is it really supposed to be free?

Even at $25 it's a good deal . . one time charge and it carries no monthly charge.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts