Hooking PS3 using different connections...

GNASH

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
Between Kalamazoo & GR. MI
Hi all,

We are considering getting a PS3 in the very near future and are trying to figure out what the best way to hook it up will be. Our problem comes in trying to figure out how to hook the PS3 so that it will output Audio and Video for 2 different possible ways that it will be used. Here are the situations:

1) PS3 would be the only device being used, in which we would want the PS3 to run through HDMI to our AV Receiver and then to the Television.

2) PS3 being played while someone is watching television through the AV Receiver.

My questions are as follows:

1) I found a picture of a PS3 online that shows 2 HDMI Output Ports. Does it have 2 HDMI Ports and can one go directly to the Television and one to the AV Receiver, allowing us to use either HDMI port by changing the Input of the TV???

2) Does the PS3 allow both the HDMI and the Optical Out (Toslink) to be active at the same time allowing us to hook the HDMI to the TV and the Toslink cable to the AV Receiver???

Thanks in advance,
Geoff

I'm not sure about your second question (I don't own a PS3), but I can answer the first.

The picture you saw was a prototype that Sony showed off at an E3 two years before the PS3 launched. It was Sony's original plan to have dual HDMI ports on the PS3 allowing for multiple screens to be run by a single machine, but in the end, the feature fell victim to cost cutting to get the machine's price down (and it still started out at $600). There has never been a consumer model of the PS3 with two HDMI ports.

1)the ps3 only has one hdmi port if you can post the link that shows the pic of 2 hdmi that would interest some
2) only one of the output are allowed to be active for the sound either hdmi or toslink that a big grip of mine

Original design specs called for 2 HDMI ports, Only has 1 though on all models. (prototype had 2)

1)the ps3 only has one hdmi port if you can post the link that shows the pic of 2 hdmi that would interest some
2) only one of the output are allowed to be active for the sound either hdmi or toslink that a big grip of mine

Thanks for the quick replies. Here is the link for the back I found. You will have to scroll to see it (about 3/4 of the way down the page). Google Image Result for http://www.playstationcore.com/images/playstation3side.jpg

My brother is wanting to get a Blu-Ray DVD Player. The cheapest we have seen any have been approximately $240. We have seen the PS3 for $400 and figure if it will play Blu-Ray and the games, that makes the game system portion (which we didn't even consider at first) just an additional $260. With that, we are now thinking about how we would hook it up so we can have sound through the TV (if we use PIP for it) or through the AV Receiver (when we have full access). Any thoughts???

We have open HDMI, and Component Cable Ports on the TV and Receiver.

Geoff

Thanks for the quick replies. Here is the link for the back I found. You will have to scroll to see it (about 3/4 of the way down the page). Google Image Result for http://www.playstationcore.com/images/playstation3side.jpg

My brother is wanting to get a Blu-Ray DVD Player. The cheapest we have seen any have been approximately $240. We have seen the PS3 for $400 and figure if it will play Blu-Ray and the games, that makes the game system portion (which we didn't even consider at first) just an additional $260. With that, we are now thinking about how we would hook it up so we can have sound through the TV (if we use PIP for it) or through the AV Receiver (when we have full access). Any thoughts???

We have open HDMI, and Component Cable Ports on the TV and Receiver.

Geoff

if he is in to gaming at all the ps3 is the better choice plus it will play all future blu-ray movies
but to connect to the tv hdmi . as far the the reciever if the reciever can decode audio from hdmi run it through the reciever if not toslink it

if he is in to gaming at all the ps3 is the better choice plus it will play all future blu-ray movies
but to connect to the tv hdmi . as far the the reciever if the reciever can decode audio from hdmi run it through the reciever if not toslink it

Problem is that sometimes we will just be playing PS3 (full screen) and other times we will have half the screen for PS3 and 1/2 for TV (which would then be using the AV Receiver).

We were hoping for a solution that would allow us to have it hooked to both so that we can play with or without the receiver.

Geoff

I can use both HDMI and TOSLink at the same time....

HDMI connected to my TV, TOSLink connected to my AV Receiver.

I suggest running HDMI from PS3 to TV with optical out to receiver (in PS3, set audio to output via optical rather than HDMI); run HDMI from receiver to TV for other video source (cable/sat. box); use TV's PIP/PBP function (if available) to view both simultaneously.

I can use both HDMI and TOSLink at the same time....

HDMI connected to my TV, TOSLink connected to my AV Receiver.

That is how we would probably hook it up. Can you hear Audio from either one of the outputs (TOSLink or HDMI) without changing the setup everytime??? Or how difficult is it to change the setting to get sound from the other???

Geoff

no un fortunatly you have to keep switching back and forth its not thaT much a pain in the ass to change if you know which setting your gonna use before you start playing a game or movie if you have to change in the middle kinda annoying i wish sony would fix this seriously

no un fortunatly you have to keep switching back and forth its not thaT much a pain in the ass to change if you know which setting your gonna use before you start playing a game or movie if you have to change in the middle kinda annoying i wish sony would fix this seriously

Beast,

We just pulled the trigger and ordered the 80 GB model. Any idea of what the setting might be so that we can have some idea of what the setting would be for when we get it???

Fortunately, we mainly will be using it with the AV Receiver (about the only time it is split is when someone wants to use the Sat Receiver as well.

One last question. Am I correct that to get the best picture (1080p) you need to use the HDMI Cable? I ask because we have a Wii attached through Component Cables and have split the audio to both the TV and AV Receiver. If the PS3 gets as good a picture through Component (which I doubt) then we could do the same.

Geoff

Thanks,
Geoff

the only way to get 1080p is through the hdmi as for the audio i think it will be set to hdmi as well when you first start the unit
but you can use the red and white cables for audio if you wished and split those to both the tv and reciever

the only way to get 1080p is through the hdmi as for the audio i think it will be set to hdmi as well when you first start the unit
but you can use the red and white cables for audio if you wished and split those to both the tv and reciever

Would they still send Dolby Digital (5.1 or 7.1) or would we lose that?

Geoff

Beast,

We just pulled the trigger and ordered the 80 GB model. Any idea of what the setting might be so that we can have some idea of what the setting would be for when we get it???

Settings > Sound Settings - from there you can tell it to ouput via HDMI or Optical (or composite).

One last question. Am I correct that to get the best picture (1080p) you need to use the HDMI Cable? I ask because we have a Wii attached through Component Cables and have split the audio to both the TV and AV Receiver. If the PS3 gets as good a picture through Component (which I doubt) then we could do the same.

Geoff

Thanks,
Geoff

You can do 1080p for games and Blu-Ray over component, just not for DVD upconversion. You'll need HDMI for that.

Would they still send Dolby Digital (5.1 or 7.1) or would we lose that?

Geoff

You can send 5.1 DD or DTS over either Optical or HDMI. If you want any of the newer audio codecs (True HD, DD+, etc) you have to use HDMI to your receiver.

:up:up:up

I could have sworn at one point that I had both working at the same time.... but I either dreamed it or they changed something, because I sure can't get it to work now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)