Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rebel Racing

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Detroit
Hi Guys,

A bit of an odd question maybe...........going to hook up a HR54 and 1 client to 2 newer TV's with HDMI input, that is the easy part. We have an older (2000) Panasonic CRT TV in our basement that only has a coax and S video inputs. Is there any way for me to either add a client to it (not really needed) or run a coax to it somehow off the HR54 ( I can't see how since it is only HDMI out)?? No real desire to watch a different channel on it (the wife really just turns it on while she does laundry). I know picture quality won't be great but it would be nice to have that old set working again. ideas??

Hi Guys,

A bit of an odd question maybe...........going to hook up a HR54 and 1 client to 2 newer TV's with HDMI input, that is the easy part. We have an older (2000) Panasonic CRT TV in our basement that only has a coax and S video inputs. Is there any way for me to either add a client to it (not really needed) or run a coax to it somehow off the HR54 ( I can't see how since it is only HDMI out)?? No real desire to watch a different channel on it (the wife really just turns it on while she does laundry). I know picture quality won't be great but it would be nice to have that old set working again. ideas??
Other option, if she just wants something to hear in the background ... why not throw a pr of rabbit ears on it ... this way you at least have video.

I thought of that too but she is addicted to the science channel/history/discovery and the like. I forget exactly how I have it split out of the current HR24 but it works fine--hoping to do something similar with the new one even if I need another client. Does anyone make a HDMI to coax adapter??

I thought of that too but she is addicted to the science channel/history/discovery and the like. I forget exactly how I have it split out of the current HR24 but it works fine--hoping to do something similar with the new one even if I need another client. Does anyone make a HDMI to coax adapter??
I would imagine Someone does .... give Google a try for a start, that should give you places to try.

Are you sure the 2000 Panasonic does not have a yellow composite video input jack and paired red and white audio inputs? I had several TVs of that era with S-video and they all had composite as well. This would allow more options.

I'll have to pull that heavy sucker further away from the wall--it very well may have them, makes sense it will. Adapters available??

It has to have audio inputs since s video is video only. It should also have a yellow rca jack for video. I know the H25s have dongles for composite output, not sure about the minis.

O.K. quick search found this from Radio Shack: for $40 HDMI to Coaxial Converter Adapter I also seeen a (better?) unit to go from HDMI to composite/S video also. So I could get another genie for that old TV and use this to connect but, is DTV going to charge me for each client I hook up and is each client going to add another 2 yr to my contract?? I guess what I am asking is, I have a new HR54 I will activate with one client, now if I buy another client am I looking at a 6 yr term? I know a call to D will answer but just curious right now.

Last edited:
It has to have audio inputs since s video is video only. It should also have a yellow rca jack for video. I know the H25s have dongles for composite output, not sure about the minis.
For sure, that makes perfect sense. Now, since there is only an HDMI out from the HR54 ( I doubt I could split the HDMI coming out of the receiver--could I??) , I can't see how I could send a composite/S video signal to that old TV though--I think a client is the only way (maybe a dumb assumption??). Maybe just tell the wife to turn on the radio and be happy LOL!!

O.K. quick search found this from Radio Shack: for $40 HDMI to Coaxial Converter Adapter So I could get another genie for that old TV and use this to connect but, is DTV going to charge me for each client I hook up and is each client going to add another 2 yr to my contract?? I guess what I am asking is, I have a new HR54 I will activate with one client, now if I buy another client am I looking at a 6 yr term? I know a call to D will answer but just curious right now.
The "sentences" run concurrent, so if you get them at the same time, it's only two years. You could use an hdmi to rca cable, but the tv has to be able to convert the digital signal to analog. I don't know if that tv will do it.

For sure, that makes perfect sense. Now, since there is only an HDMI out from the HR54 ( I doubt I could split the HDMI coming out of the receiver--could I??) , I can't see how I could send a composite/S video signal to that old TV though--I think a client is the only way (maybe a dumb assumption??). Maybe just tell the wife to turn on the radio and be happy LOL!!
Run an HR24 instead .. it had the outputs you need iirc.
I know it has Component, probably Composite too.

The "sentences" run concurrent, so if you get them at the same time, it's only two years. You could use an hdmi to rca cable, but the tv has to be able to convert the digital signal to analog. I don't know if that tv will do it.
O.K.Ii think I follow you. Now I have seen a converter box that takes in HDMI and sends out composite--a converter. So far I am good. Now currently, I have a HR54 and a C61 client. I was thinking of activating them in the next few days. So are you saying if I don;t add the second client at the same time I am looking at another 2 yr just because of it for a total of 4yr.? In other words,if I don;t get the 2nd client until later in April, I am into them for another 2yr? If that is the case, I am better off waiting to get another client and do it all at once?? Thanks!!

Run an HR24 instead .. it had the outputs you need iirc.
I know it has Component, probably Composite too.
I was hoping to send back the HR24 once I was up and running with the HR54/client combo. $ $wise aren't I better off doing that and buying a client for the basement old TV??

I was hoping to send back the HR24 once I was up and running with the HR54/client combo. $ $wise aren't I better off doing that and buying a client for the basement old TV??
Pricing is the same if you keep the HR24 vs having another client (Monthly that is ... you already have the HR24 right, you'd have to pay for the client)

O.K.Ii think I follow you. Now I have seen a converter box that takes in HDMI and sends out composite--a converter. So far I am good. Now currently, I have a HR54 and a C61 client. I was thinking of activating them in the next few days. So are you saying if I don;t add the second client at the same time I am looking at another 2 yr just because of it for a total of 4yr.? In other words,if I don;t get the 2nd client until later in April, I am into them for another 2yr? If that is the case, I am better off waiting to get another client and do it all at once?? Thanks!!
Looks like you already solved the problem by keeping the HR24! FYI, a commitment starts when you activate an additional receiver/dvr/client, but another commitment doesn't start at the end of the old one, it starts when that new equipment is activated.

No do not get the radio shack hdmi to coax converter.

There is a $2 cable that will allow composite video (yellow white and red) out of the HR54.

Get that and go to Walmart and get a game adaptor to modulate to channel 3. They are like $20.

Problem solved.

Starting to wonder if I really need to add the client at all. If I keep my HR24 and add the HR54, what will be the monthly additional charge? What will it be if I do the above and add 1 client? I may be able to make it all work (not exactly of course) with just my HR24 and the new HR54.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts