Hooking Up An Older CRT TV To a Genie

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Adding any extra box is $7/month. If you already have dvr service, another one is included since the dvr charge is per account, not per dvr.

Starting to wonder if I really need to add the client at all. If I keep my HR24 and add the HR54, what will be the monthly additional charge? What will it be if I do the above and add 1 client? I may be able to make it all work (not exactly of course) with just my HR24 and the new HR54.
If you currently have the HR54 and the HR24 on the account and add a client, its like $7 p/m (maybe $7.99, don't remember)
If you drop the HR24 and add a client, billing is the same as what it was before.

I really from what I've read, don't think you need another box/client, but thats your call.

I think the tentative plan is to use the HR54 on the main TV, the client for the kitchen TV ( this way we can watch something different from the living room) and then use this cable adapter to go to the old analog TV and. Once we are up and running, send back the HR24. That way we are paying for one receiver and one client--wife is happy with TV in the basement--it will have what the kitchen one has on it. Sound feasible??

Last edited:
I think the tentative plan is to use the HR54 on the main TV, the client for the kitchen TV ( this way we can watch something different from the living room) and then use this cable adapter to go to the old analog TV and. Once we are up and running, send back the HR24. That way we are paying for one receiver and one client--wife is happy with TV in the basement--it will have what the kitchen one has on it. Sound feasible??
You do realize if you have the HR54 and a client ... it cost the same as the HR54 and the HR24 ... right ?

Your losing 2 Tuners and Hard drive space in the scenario your talking about going with ...

You do realize if you have the HR54 and a client ... it cost the same as the HR54 and the HR24 ... right ?

Your losing 2 Tuners and Hard drive space in the scenario your talking about going with ...
O.K. still wrapping my head around this--I think I got it. One more question..........If I have the new HR54 in the living room, the client in the kitchen. Let's say I have a recording in the living room playing, can it play at the same time on the client?? The wife likes to have a recording of kids shows playing in the living room while watching it in the kitchen to interact with the daughter while she is watching in the living room on the big TV. Make sense??.

Last edited:
O.K. still wrapping my head around this--I think I got it. One more question..........If I have the new HR54 in the living room, the client in the kitchen. Let's say I have a recording in the living room playing, can it play at the same time on the client?? The wife likes to have a recording of kids shows playing in the living room while watching it in the kitchen to interact with the daughter while she is watching in the living room on the big TV. Make sense??.
I'm gonna say Yes,, but I don't usually use the Whole Home stuff with my system, so I'll let others chime in with thier thoughts as well.

I'm gonna say Yes,, but I don't usually use the Whole Home stuff with my system, so I'll let others chime in with thier thoughts as well.
O.K. Right now I have component cables coming out of the HR24 to the kitchen TV so we can see the same thing live/recorded as the main TV as the Daughter watches--apparently, this is mandatory and I don't think I could do it with the new HR54 and a HR24 in the kitchen--hoping a client (in the kitchen) will do the trick.

If I have the new HR54 in the living room, the client in the kitchen. Let's say I have a recording in the living room playing, can it play at the same time on the client?? The wife likes to have a recording of kids shows playing in the living room while watching it in the kitchen to interact with the daughter while she is watching in the living room on the big TV. Make sense??.

You can do this -- sort of. The client will be "streaming" the file off the HR54, thus the playback on the HR54 and the client are independent. If you want the HR54 and client to play in-sync (or very close), you would need to begin playback on the HR54 and the client at the same time. The HR54 doesn't send any video/audio to the client -- it just acts as the "host" for the data. The client can play/stop/pause, etc. independent of what's happening on the HR54. Hopefully that makes sense!

Reactions: Jimbo
You can do this -- sort of. The client will be "streaming" the file off the HR54, thus the playback on the HR54 and the client are independent. If you want the HR54 and client to play in-sync (or very close), you would need to begin playback on the HR54 and the client at the same time. The HR54 doesn't send any video/audio to the client -- it just acts as the "host" for the data. The client can play/stop/pause, etc. independent of what's happening on the HR54. Hopefully that makes sense!
O.K. yes that makes sense. Was hoping it would be right in sync but I understand better how it works now. I guess it we want it to work the same way we hav it now we don't really need a client and go directly off the HR54 to the kitchen TV via component cables (with an adapter). The downside of course will be not having the ability to watch something different in the kitchen.

OR.................(thinking on the fly here), HR54 in the living room, current HR24 in the kitchen. Coax from the SWiM to the kitchen receiver, AV OUT from the HR54 (via an adapter to component cable) to the kitchen TV. If we want to watch the same thing from the HR54 in the kitchen we change the source to component, if we want something different in the kitchen, we change the source to HDMI and we are reading right off the HR24. This way it does exactly what we want and we have 2 more tuners and additional HD space should the need arise. And, I can run a line off the HR24 to the basement TV for the wife. I think that would solve our dilemma. In this situation, I don't need the client at all.

Reactions: Jimbo
whatever she buys is probably worth more than that TV right now...
We already have the HR24 and a new 54 and a client but yes, that BIG old Panasonic TV is worthless and our kitchen Samsung is probably a $50 piece used at this point--works great but we all know the value of used electronics.

OR.................(thinking on the fly here), HR54 in the living room, current HR24 in the kitchen. Coax from the SWiM to the kitchen receiver, AV OUT from the HR54 (via an adapter to component cable) to the kitchen TV. If we want to watch the same thing from the HR54 in the kitchen we change the source to component, if we want something different in the kitchen, we change the source to HDMI and we are reading right off the HR24.

That'll work!

Status
Please reply by conversation.