Hope all our Twin cities SatGuys are ok...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhhhh, check post #21 in this thread.
Uhhhh, okay, my bad. I happened to skip to the end and missed his post.

I'm glad he's okay, thanks.

Watching the video doesn't yield much information other than the one span section dropped all at once instead of dropping one end first. I wonder if the road work caused an unbalance that overstressed the arch?

Lets hope and pray that as the number of "missing" people declines, the death toll stays low.

As for the video, very odd. The structural engineers will have to explain why the entire center section collapsed (and went down almost parallel), instead of just one section.

Some yearsago, the Skyways bridge south of Tampa was hit by a brdge and a portion collapsed. (The design of that bridge was different than this one). Until the road could be closed off, people kept driving into the water.

That did not happen here.

Chilling that Iceberg had just driven over it.

Last night, I watched the local Minnesota stations on FTA KU. CBS had the local CBS station on Galaxy 26 and ABC had the Fox feed on a news feed and ABC NEWSONE had its own coverage. You can really see the difference in the nature of coverage when its your own town.

Last night, I watched the local Minnesota stations on FTA KU. CBS had the local CBS station on Galaxy 26 and ABC had the Fox feed on a news feed and ABC NEWSONE had its own coverage. You can really see the difference in the nature of coverage when its your own town.
yep. They've been showing stuff pretty much non stop locally here. I went to bed around midnite and they still were going (all 4 networks). And they were all on this morning when I got up.

unknown yesterday they reported 6 dead confirmed then it changed to 7 unconfirmed
flipped the coverage on bout halfhour ago now they say 4 confirmed

I guess I didn't pay attention to the unconfirmed part, thanks.

Some years ago, Jacksonville commercial divers did an underwater survey of one of our downtown bridges and discovered that the support uprights in a deeper section of the river had washed out the bottom around them very deep, suspending them and holding them in place by the bridge itself. Can't recall whether it was one or two like that but not all. That bridge was quickly closed and replaced with a new one. It was one of the fastest road and bridge construction projects I recall.

There was a show on NG HD not long ago that described the investigation of a building that collapsed in Singapore about as fast as that Bridge went down. The followup of why this happened and why bridge inspections didn't uncover it will be interesting.

They can build bridges quickly today; they rebuilt I-10 fairly quickly after the Hurricane a few years ago.

The Florida readership of this thread will appreciate your discussion of the bridges in Jacksonville. There are bridges and there are BRIDGES.

Looks weird... as when someone says Mississippi River I think of the size of it here in Louisiana then I see this picture and it's like "huh?"

I know what you mean. I was born and raised on Mobile Al. I went on a business trip to St Paul a few years ago and someone said "there's the mississippi". I said "huh?"

I dont think you could shoot a bullet across it in La.

OK here as well. Glad to here fellow TC members seem to be ok. I used to live less than two blocks from that bridge so I've probably driven over it no less than 1,000 times. Every single winter it would freeze over and people would crash their cars on it and I always wondered why they never updated it.

I hope all of the families involved are doing ok.

I remember as a kid I saw where the Mississippi River starts - it was like a small stream/creek. Not sure if it really was that small, but it sure seemed that way :)

I know what you mean. I was born and raised on Mobile Al. I went on a business trip to St Paul a few years ago and someone said "there's the mississippi". I said "huh?"

I dont think you could shoot a bullet across it in La.

I-10 Horace Wilkinson Bridge, Baton Rouge, LA

Interesting facts about other bridges if you scroll to the link at the bottom.

Here's two pics I took a few years ago on a gloomy fall day. It makes the USS Kidd and the riverboats look like toys.

Attachments

• 100_2907.JPG
    100_2907.JPG
    402.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 100_2911.JPG
    100_2911.JPG
    452.9 KB · Views: 102
Well forgot to mention went to work today and everyone was accounted for (thats about 600 people) :)

They had this number they wanted us to call into and confirm we're OK. Sounds corny but they wanted to make sure we're all OK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)