Hopper 3 Feature Sheet

I'm gonna take this as a tongue in cheek answer.

The spec sheet doesn't list PTAT, which HWS has. I'd guess this type of feature and it's implementation would be like spec'ing AutoHop. Why not list PTAT-ish capability?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Yeah, I was just kidding. I'm guessing the Hopper 3 will do everything the Hopper 2 does.

Reactions: gpflepsen
Yeah, I was just kidding. I'm guessing the Hopper 3 will do everything the Hopper 2 does.
I would hope so.

Cut sheet also says OTA via USB devices... Plural not singular.

Realize this is an equipment spec sheet, not the services to be delivered via Dish. Makes me wonder if some features will not be utilized in Dish deployment.

Thankfully, we have Viewer measurement. I feel safer...

Cut sheet also says OTA via USB devices... Plural not singular.
Saw that, too. It could be taken a few ways:
  1. Support for more than one USB OTA ATSC Tuner; or
  2. Supports one USB OTA ATSC Tuner, but from manufacturers other than EchoStar; or
  3. Looking forward, an as-yet-unannounced ATSC 3.0 USB Tuner dongle for 4K OTA reception in addition to the current ATSC Tuner dongle.

Reactions: TheKrell
One disappointment - I was hoping they'd do a little better on energy efficiency - looks like another 95W hot box that runs 24/7 - or is there more info on actual consumption in various modes?

Good eye, I didn't catch that till you pointed it out. Gotta wonder what kind of heat this thing will output. The 722 I'm currently using is 55w. In an open face cabinet it needs an exhaust fan to dissipate the heat.

This is disappointing, hope standby is minimal.

Has anyone tested the Hopper 3 yet so they can write one of those reviews or do the NDAs make em wait till the release day on Jan 30th.
I would like to know if TWO OTA USB tuners can be used.
Also just how much faster really is that Joey 4k over the Joey 2.0 and 1.0? Is it worth the extra $50 just for extra speed and PIP, any reviews on it yet or is that Jan 30th also.

Has anyone tested the Hopper 3 yet so they can write one of those reviews or do the NDAs make em wait till the release day on Jan 30th.
I would like to know if TWO OTA USB tuners can be used.
Also just how much faster really is that Joey 4k over the Joey 2.0 and 1.0? Is it worth the extra $50 just for extra speed and PIP, any reviews on it yet or is that Jan 30th also.

The 4K Joey is 4 times faster than the Hopper with sling.

I would say it's worth the extra $50.

Is there any word on how many timers this will allow? With so many tuners I can see that being an issue if it's too low.

Presently on my original hopper there's times we have to prune seasonal shows from the timer list to make room for current shows. Would be nice to leave timers on without having to remove shows that will return in a few months.

My wife will NEVER use that remote, so at least I'll have one as well.

One disappointment - I was hoping they'd do a little better on energy efficiency - looks like another 95W hot box that runs 24/7 - or is there more info on actual consumption in various modes?
They need that 95W for the optional popcorn maker.
;)

Saw that, too. It could be taken a few ways:
  1. Support for more than one USB OTA ATSC Tuner; or
  2. Supports one USB OTA ATSC Tuner, but from manufacturers other than EchoStar; or
  3. Looking forward, an as-yet-unannounced ATSC 3.0 USB Tuner dongle for 4K OTA reception in addition to the current ATSC Tuner dongle.

I asked at CES There are no plans for an additional or new OTA tuner for the Hopper 3. In reality there are more SatelliteGuys members then there are people with OTA Tuners on their Dish Hoppers.

I use OTA besides Dish, because here in Tornado Alley often the signal gets knocked out and I just switch to OTA and keep on watching the emergency weather casts. Besides It gets me one more tuner on my 722 to record Primetime TV.

We had a BIG earthquake back in 1992 - a 7.2 in Landers followed by a 6.2 in Big Bear less than 10 miles away that took our cable TV service out for a week. It's hard to go through a disaster like that without feedback that the local stations can offer.
I added a good antenna shortly after that and still have it. Dumped the cable company in early 2000 once Dish was available for our local stations. I've been with Dish ever since with no complaints but still use the OTA when all three Hopper channels are recording something.
Even after the new Hopper 3 is installed I will keep the antenna setup just in case.

For the record, I have OTA connected as well. My outside antenna goes to a splitter and connects to the TV directly as well as the Hopper. Our bedroom TV, on a Joey, has a small, indoor antenna attached as well.

No one will believe you.I mean, doesn't everyone also use an antenna in addition to their satellite service ? :eeek :eeek :eeek
I can honestly say, you guys right here are the only ones I know period that as Scott says has their OTA integrated into their set top box.

The 2 people I know with OTA just have it connected coax to their tv.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Two H2s here with OTA on each, with OTA also to the TVs. Previously had two 722k with dual OTA in each. Only having one OTA on a DVR is the sole backwards step going to an H3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts