Hopper 3 Feature Sheet

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I know but too cheap to buy the attachment. We only watch Jeopardy when all the tuners are busy so no loss if we miss it.

Wow, you really are cheap. ;) But seriously, you need to buy that dongle and attach it. In addition to the benefits mentioned above, the OTA broadcast nets you better PQ than the satellite channel; that is still my subjective assessment. The only downside I see is that the recording takes up more space on the internal disk because it's MPEG-2. But I have a big EHD and just move my Nova and Nature shows to it.

Reactions: stardust3
I've said it before and I'll say it again, having satellite with OTA is the best setup you have have. In my area we have lot's of customers with antennas and a lot of our Dish customers have it integrated. We sold a lot of antennas this way, especially any time there was a contract dispute with a local channel. Customers loved the fact that they don't have to switch inputs to watch OTA channels and that they can record programs on the multi-channels you can only get OTA.

If a retailer isn't pushing antennas then they are missing out on easy money.

I upgraded to a 722 when I bought my first HDTV in 2008. Our locals weren't available in HD on Dish yet, so I put up an antenna before football season started to get the HD broadcast. We don't use OTA as much as we used to, but it sure is nice to have. I also like the fact that we can get the sub-channels that aren't on Dish. It's so much handier being integrated into the Hopper. If I had it connected to the TV tuner, I'd probably forget it was even there.

I like putting the OTA in a side by side PIP with the same local channel from satellite to see how it compares to the satellite one. Usually cannot tell the difference except for the 10 second delay on the dish one.

I too have an OTA antenna, which I put in the attic. Because all of the TV stations are in the same vicinity of each other I can just leave it and get around 40 stations. I hook it up both ways, through the Hopper and straight. when I go through the hopper I get the EPG on most of the station, and some of the .1.2.3 stations that are not even offered by dish.

I wish they would fix the option where you could manually add a station, but it looks like that will never happen.

Anyway, the reason I do it is like another poster said, living in Tornado Alley you really need OTA should Dish go out, and you can also get your locals when Dish gets into a dispute with the local stations and drops them, which happened during football season one year. Had it not been for the OTA, I would have been irate, as it was I was only annoyed.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I wish they would fix the option where you could manually add a station, but it looks like that will never happen.
FWIW, on the newest interface (Carbon UI), they have finally removed the "Add" button. I suppose they could add it later, but after almost (4) years of it being on the first two Hopper models and being non-functional, I think this is the nail in the coffin for that feature.

I paid for the OTA module or my SatelliteGuys ViP 722 (thanks again, Scott & Eva :)) Going to the Hopper 3 will mean eliminating two OTA tuners (one of the two on the 722 and one on the ViP 211) so watching live OTA and being able to "trick play" (pause, rewind, slo-mo, commercial skip, etc.) can only be done on one TV at a time. Sure, there's my Local DMA channels via Dish, but I like seeing things 10 seconds earlier.

No word about UHD Alliance support (HDR, sound, and color improvements)? Or is this one of the things that Dish is able to add later through firmware updates? I suppose it's all bits, right?

Hah ! It's weird seeing the difference (delay) in the two, huh ?
Sometimes my son will be watching the same NFL game off of the satellite downstairs while I'm watching it OTA upstairs. Heading down to the kitchen it can be like deja vu! (Amazing! He fumbled the ball... AGAIN!)

Been using OTA integrated with Dish since the 722. As someone mentioned earlier I too can see better pic quality. One problem with my local NBC station is that Dish doesn't supply guide information for it. They do for the satellite channels but not the OTA, go figure.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheKrell
Been using OTA integrated with Dish since the 722. As someone mentioned earlier I too can see better pic quality. One problem with my local NBC station is that Dish doesn't supply guide information for it. They do for the satellite channels but not the OTA, go figure.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I too have OTA's in my Hoppers. In fact, that's one reason why I have two Hoppers so that I can have two OTA tuners. If the Hopper would support two, I would have two in both. For this reason, and a couple others, I will have to wait until we can hopefully have two H3's on an account.

Hah ! It's weird seeing the difference (delay) in the two, huh ?

I usually sit in the kitchen and watch TV and my wife sits in the living room. Even though it's not an open concept they are connected and the TVs are probably 15 feet from each other. The hopper is in the living room and Joey 1 in the kitchen. There is a slight delay and when we watch sports it can be an issue. Not only because of her reactions but because I can hear the announcers. It's like an echo.

Having the tv on and having the receiver on are two different things. Even my 65" LG OLED UltraHD 4K TV according to the Energy Cost label is $21/year in energy costs and that consumes 480Watts. My H2K which is 125 Watts according to the back is on 24/7/365 since 11/16/2012 when it was originally installed. It is only off 2 hours a day at the most when it does the nightly updates of software, hopefully they are able to update software without needing to shut the box off with the H3.

I wouldn't worry about the cooling since if the box fails, it's covered by the protection plan anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)