Hopper 4

Jackonearth

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2018
San Francisco, California
What do you guys want to see in the Hopper 4?
I'd like to see four OTA tuners built-in. There are three good reasons for this addition.
1) Just about everyone could save $12/mo.
2) PTAT via OTA could be introduced.
3) Auto-Hop that actually works on all the major networks via OTA without the crazy restrictions imposed by the networks. Tivo already does this with their Skipmode feature.

#1 - Dish would lose revenue = NEVER!
#2 - Possible
#3 - How do you get the networks to agree when they negotiated for the restrictions in the first place. Tivo does not depend on contracts with content providers, they just pickup cable or OTA content. A very different animal.

I would like to see Dish group more similar channels on the same transponder and use PTAT like recording for more channels - recording the whole transponder signal instead of single channels, large hard drives are very inexpensive (4-6TB). Make more use of local storage instead of streaming for on demand.

Reactions: pattykay
Restrictions on Dish do not equal restrictions on TiVO.

PTAT works with a single satellite transponder. Totally different signals.

I doubt we will ever see built in OTA tuners again. As it stands now, as (& if) ATSC 3 comes in to use, a simple swap out of the OTA USB module is all that is needed. No need to obsolete the STB.

Dish is not particularly interested in saving us money, unless it also somehow saves them money.

Reactions: charlesrshell
#1 - Dish would lose revenue = NEVER!
#2 - Possible
#3 - How do you get the networks to agree when they negotiated for the restrictions in the first place. Tivo does not depend on contracts with content providers, they just pickup cable or OTA content. A very different animal.

I would like to see Dish group more similar channels on the same transponder and use PTAT like recording for more channels - recording the whole transponder signal instead of single channels, large hard drives are very inexpensive (4-6TB). Make more use of local storage instead of streaming for on demand.
I listed what I'd like to see added, not what would actually happen. I agree I'd like to see larger drives too. But what I listed above isn't totally unthinkable. If Dish doesn't want us to save the $12, then why do they even let us take off the local channels? I suspect while we save $12, Dish saves more. I'm surprised they haven't thought of dropping locals sooner. Why pay the networks to rebroadcast their content when Dish could just add an OTA antenna to their satellite dishes? Back when OTA was analog this would've been a bad idea due to poor picture quality but now it's another story.
As for Auto-Hop, why would Dish need to get the networks to agree to lift the restrictions if Dish, like Tivo, would just be picking up the OTA feed instead of rebroadcasting via satellite?

Restrictions on Dish do not equal restrictions on TiVO.

PTAT works with a single satellite transponder. Totally different signals.

I doubt we will ever see built in OTA tuners again. As it stands now, as (& if) ATSC 3 comes in to use, a simple swap out of the OTA USB module is all that is needed. No need to obsolete the STB.

Dish is not particularly interested in saving us money, unless it also somehow saves them money.
I'd expect a Hopper 4 to be equipped with ATSC 3 tuners at this point. It's not like they come out with new ATSC standards all the time. It wouldn't become obsolete before the Hopper 6 shows up lol.

I'd expect a Hopper 4 to be equipped with ATSC 3 tuners at this point. It's not like they come out with new ATSC standards all the time. It wouldn't become obsolete before the Hopper 6 shows up lol.
no atsc 3 will come out with a ota tuner that hook up to the dish hopper 3 dvr which will most likely will happen guys as soon as the tuners start rolling out.

I want a 10 TB drive.
If I got an OTA tuner, it would have to be able to see through mountains. I have zero signal where I live.
I agree that I want it to actually work out of the box.
How about a discount of 1% of the total bill for every year of loyalty.
And an illuminated racing stripe to indicate recording in progress .actually 2 stripes, one for PTAT and one for scheduled and manual recordings.

Dish would just need to enable connecting two current OTA adapters. Dish would gain adapter sales revenue
I, and more than a few others, believe that OTA use by Dish customers is fairly low. From Dish's side, it doesn't justify spending much on either hardware or software development.

Don't use the habits of members of this site as being typical of Dish's customers.

I, and more than a few others, believe that OTA use by Dish customers is fairly low. From Dish's side, it doesn't justify spending much on either hardware or software development.

Don't use the habits of members of this site as being typical of Dish's customers.

The few lead the many.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts