Hopper HDMI DD

brian_tr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
The HDMI port on my hopper is outputting PCM instead of Digital Dolby. The optical output does output DD. I have been using the Optical output from the tv to the audio reciever for all my sources just to make things easier. It is a Yamaha 1400. All my other sources come through with DD. Is there way to change the HDMI to output DD on the hopper?

HDMI has to go directly to the Yamaha receiver in order to get Dolby Digtal. If you plug the HDMI directly into your TV and use the digital out cable to your Yamaha receiver you will only get 2 channel sound.

The digital cable output on most TV's only put out Dolby digital sound when using the TV tuner for local programs. To sum it up Take the HDMI cable from the Hopper to the receiver, take second HDMI cable run from the output on the Yamaha receiver to the input on the TV.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

HDMI has to go directly to the Yamaha receiver in order to get Dolby Digtal. If you plug the HDMI directly into your TV and use the digital out cable to your Yamaha receiver you will only get 2 channel sound.

The digital cable output on most TV's only put out Dolby digital sound when using the TV tuner for local programs. To sum it up Take the HDMI cable from the Hopper to the receiver, take second HDMI cable run from the output on the Yamaha receiver to the input on the TV.

This isn't true for all TVs. My Mitsubishi HDTV does put out Dolby from its digital cable out.

As for putting out Dolby from your Hopper, you have to go to Settings, Audio and tell it to put out Dolby.

Mitch,

I didn't say all TV's I said most TV's, also he has the settings right as he is getting digital through the digital cable.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

If he has it switched to DD and the HDMI output isn't putting it out, there is something wrong with his Hopper. No one else has complained about that issue.

DD works through my tv on my other sources. My receiver does not have HDMI inputs which is why I use the tv. Was just trying to find a way to make the hopper work like the others. Makes it easier for others when using the system.

DD works through my tv on my other sources. My receiver does not have HDMI inputs which is why I use the tv. Was just trying to find a way to make the hopper work like the others. Makes it easier for others when using the system.

DD pass through is supposed to be available on my Toshiba 40RF350U. I have my Hopper set to DD/PCM, Volume Leveling Disabled and Mode set to line connected to the TV via HDMI. I have the tv set to output DD.

The TV is only passing PCM to the receiver through the optical output (no HDMI on my Onkyo Home Theater Receiver). When I connect the optical output from the Hopper directly to the receiver I get DD.

Something tells me there are some compatibility issues with the Hopper and TV causing the issue.

In by basement home theater using a Vizio E60 TV and a Yamaha HTR the Hopper with Sling is connected to the TV via HDMI and the TV connected to the Yamaha via optical and it passed DD through with no issue.

It is nice to have only 1 input for the rest of the family to deal with on the HTR, after many years the wife and kids still can't figure it out even using Harmony remotes that change everything automatically. :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts