Hopper help no joey software

highaltitude

Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 14, 2014
colorado
I installed a new purchased Hopper and joey a couple of days ago. Followed all of the instructions i found in posts here IE: Let hopper activate and show live tv before connecting joey, etc. Joey connects with hopper via MOCA and both hopper and joey show active MOCA link and can see joey listed in hopper as linked

So far so good but joey never got past downloading software. I looked in sys info on hopper and it shows firmware S057 and joey software available as none
Did all the soft resets, hard resets, reset to factory defaults, left in standby all night for two nights heard it reboot around 1:30 am both nights but as of this afternoon no new updates downloaded and no joey software in the hopper

Tried contacting dish support via chat and got nowhere. They want to send tech to check signal but as I told them signal is good on all three satellites all three tuners show good signal.

I did switch check-good. put in different single node, tried different lnb. Hopper downloads guide and shows tv fine. Just no firmware update or ability to use Joey. Also no apps, account info or help but I assume these would come with a firmware update but not really worried about these features.
Almost ready to chuck joey and get second hopper. It is not easy for me to take off work for a service call and I wish i could get them to address the issue that for some reason the receiver is not getting updates and i feel it is a hopper issue or the receiver is not in the list to get an update.

Why in the age of a device connected by ethernet can they not have a software update button on the hopper menu or allow the Joey to download at least its basic software from ethernet?

Last edited:
I installed a new purchased Hopper and joey a couple of days ago. Followed all of the instructions i found in posts here IE: Let hopper activate and show live tv before connecting joey, etc. Joey connects with hopper via MOCA and both hopper and joey show active MOCA link and can see joey listed in hopper as linked

So far so good but joey never got past downloading software. I looked in sys info on hopper and it shows firmware S057 and joey software available as none
Did all the soft resets, hard resets, reset to factory defaults, leftt in stanby all night for two nights heard it reboot around 1:30 am both nights but as of this afternoon no new updates downloaded and no joey software in the hopper

Tried contacting dish support via chat and got nowhere. They want to send tech to check signal but as I told them signal is good on all three satellites all three tuners show good signal. I did switch check-good. put in different single node, tried different lnb. Hopper downloads guide and shows tv fine. Just no firmware update or ability to use Joey. Almost ready to chuck joey and get second hopper. It is not easy for me to take off work for a service call particularly since there are no issues i feel they can address that cant be done over the phone or internet. How does one talk to a real tech at dish ? I knew more about the hopper than the tech i chatted with they seemed to know very little about how it worked. Had to explain over and over hopper and joey are talking but hopper will not download updates so joey is not going to work.

What screen does your Hopper go to if you preform a hard reset? S057 is still factory software.

after it reboots it goes the last watched tv channel. The tv and guide are working fine. when i installed it it went thought the update software screen but it was pretty quick. if i do a default reset in the menu after it is complete it goes to the channel i was watching. I have soft reset, hard reset, default settings in menu, left in standby(power off)all night for two night i hear it reboot at night but no new updates.

Last edited:
Can you please try removing the sat in cable, running a check switch, save the results, un-pair the remote, then select Factory Defaults while using the Hoppers front panel. Please let me know what screen you end up on after completing the factory reset.

On a somewhat related note, my Hopper shows (2) available s/w versions for the Joey. I can't remember the exact number but my Joey has the lower of the two. Can I update it ? If so, how ?

Unit comes up on check switch screen when it is factory reset with the steps you requested. It then completes with a signal error ( i am assuming i was supposed to to leave the sat cable unplugged) it then go to the searching for satellite screen

I am not sure the unit is really go back to factory defaults. should it remember the last channel it was on if it really went back to factory settings. I will try the steps again tonight and post my results tomorrow

I am not getting the install wizard after a factory default. The unit just basically reboots and then goes back to the channel I was watching. If i reboot hopper hopper startup logo come up and then it goes to television channel. This is WA 110,119,129

With the help of one of the member here i can now get it to go to the setup wizard. However, it takes about 10 seconds on software download ( step#3) and never reboots or anything like it got any new software and gives green check mark to say its finished. Tried putting in standby afterwords no download. Tried this with factory reset (which I dont think is working) and still no new software. I think the firmware from the factory is borked.

Thanks to the help of a knowledgeable forum member and the DIRT team member Zach I think i have done all the steps that would make this receiver work if it wasn't messed up.
Here are my steps:

1.Test cables, replace single node box, replace lnb, signal test good on all tuners and satellites (WA110,119,129) (everything was good and still good but no help)
2. Soft reset, hard reset numerous times, standby (didnt help)
3.Unpairing of remote, reset, disconnect cable, save (nope)
4.reconnect cable, test switch, factory reset (nothing)
5.long periods in standby (nada)
6. Numerous reboots (nope)
7. Use code to enter setup wizard finished download part in about 10 seconds straight to live tv (no updates)
8.Factory defaults ,unpair remote, enter wizard with codes (no updates)
9. Attempted system reset through mode I will not share dont ask (no updates)

None of these things result in a software download. It is almost as though the nvram never resets on this unit. If someone from the Dish DIRT team could help authorize a replacement I would
appreciate it. The last two times I had a receiver go bad I waited around for hours to have someone come in and in less than a minute say yup its broke, and then had to wait for a replacement to be
shipped. I really cannot take of work for that. I know if I call and say it wont power on it will get replaced without the service call but I would prefer to use honesty.

Unit works fine to watch TV but does nothing else DVR sort of works, but I need the Joey to work as someone else at the house is not happy that they lost using the bedroom TV for the last week

Thanks to the help of a knowledgeable forum member and the DIRT team member Zach I think i have done all the steps that would make this receiver work if it wasn't messed up.
Here are my steps:

1.Test cables, replace single node box, replace lnb, signal test good on all tuners and satellites (WA110,119,129) (everything was good and still good but no help)
2. Soft reset, hard reset numerous times, standby (didnt help)
3.Unpairing of remote, reset, disconnect cable, save (nope)
4.reconnect cable, test switch, factory reset (nothing)
5.long periods in standby (nada)
6. Numerous reboots (nope)
7. Use code to enter setup wizard finished download part in about 10 seconds straight to live tv (no updates)
8.Factory defaults ,unpair remote, enter wizard with codes (no updates)
9. Attempted system reset through mode I will not share dont ask (no updates)

None of these things result in a software download. It is almost as though the nvram never resets on this unit. If someone from the Dish DIRT team could help authorize a replacement I would
appreciate it. The last two times I had a receiver go bad I waited around for hours to have someone come in and in less than a minute say yup its broke, and then had to wait for a replacement to be
shipped. I really cannot take of work for that. I know if I call and say it wont power on it will get replaced without the service call but I would prefer to use honesty.

Unit works fine to watch TV but does nothing else DVR sort of works, but I need the Joey to work as someone else at the house is not happy that they lost using the bedroom TV for the last week

Shoot me a PM with your full name, account number, pin number and full shipping address if you still need a replacement sent.

Thanks to Zach at the Dish DIRT team for approving my receiver replacement. Got it in two days. Plugged in the new receiver and within ten minutes all software was downloaded and got live tv. Took about 5 minutes for joey to download its software and it was working as well. Everything is working good now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts