Hopper Installation Training Materials

GaryPen said:
I dedicate output 1 for the DPP44 PSU right now. I didn't wanna run two PSU's down a single diplexed line. (I also use one for the OTA preamp.)

Preamp going into an ota module? Sounds risky.

Sent from my fingers.

I don't consider them poor techs. I just think grounding is maybe the first thing skipped. I'm not trying to insult anybody.

Well grounding won't make your system go out in week. Poor mounting quality (to tin roof not striking a stud or beam) will.
I always assumed that grounding was more of an issue in lightening-prone areas. Although, obviously, it's a Dish standard everywhere. (And, code in many places, I would think.)

I'm about to install our pre-amp, scheduled for this weekend, and it will be going into the OTA module on our 722k.

We use pre-amps and other amplifiers all the time for antenna installs and we don't have any issues. I have two employees that have amps on their antennas running into their OTA modules and they have zero problems.

Scherrman said:
We use pre-amps and other amplifiers all the time for antenna installs and we don't have any issues. I have two employees that have amps on their antennas running into their OTA modules and they have zero problems.

That's my set up as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Scherrman said:

My only concern was that E* has repeatedly made technologies which in theory sounded great but in practice caused issues. Case in point the homeplug technology that causes such issues with running the vip recs through unsupported power strip.

I wasn't saying it wouldn't work. I said it sounded risky.

Sent from my fingers.

Last edited:
well the hoper joey is supossed to be a whole house dvr solution.
Irrelevant. Technically, the HJ and VIP can function properly on the same system. People who need more than 3 tuners, and many households will and do, shouldn't be forced to pay a $200 fee for a 2nd Hopper on top of the $99 upgrade fee, if they already lease or own a perfectly good VIP model that would work perfectly along with their new HJ's.

Or, maybe people will buy their HJ equipment, but wish to use VIP gear they already own along with it. Why shouldn't they be allowed to do that? The VIP's will work fine with the HJ, as long as you keep the VIP's off of the HJ node.

I think it is a crock because it would be nice to have "whole-home" in most of the house, but have a separate 211k or 722k for a specific room (bedroom, kids, etc). I realize that you can just get another hopper, but that seems like overkill. I'm also really pissed about what this means for my tailgating. I have two HDTVs at our tailgate. I guess I could just take the hopper and a joey with me...

I agree that it would be nice to mix XiP & ViP units. The kids room is a good example. But I understand that Dish is under no obligation to offer such. Maybe it's to limit stacking. Maybe they have something else coming down the road.

I agree that it would be nice to mix XiP & ViP units. The kids room is a good example. But I understand that Dish is under no obligation to offer such. Maybe it's to limit stacking. Maybe they have something else coming down the road.

But this restriction will keep many existing customers from upgrading. I was considering a H/J system for the living room and family room but want to keep my 211's separate. Under this policy, I would need to get a separate account.:(