Hopper is screwed

bookworm370

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I have tried every single variation on every single post today and nothing is working to my Hopper back after the 129 debacle.

It sits on 058 forever! Like 3 hours.. Manual guide updates do not work
Powercord resets to not work

Anyone at all know how the 'hech' I can get this back before I demand that they roll a truck like today! It's their fault it happened, they get to make it right!

Anyone that has been here any length of time knows me and I do know my crap. I've tried resets, powercords, Scotts instructions. every thing thing in the world that is written today.

Check Switch just comes back as if nothing is the matter!

Can anyone give some advice????

I thought I was going to need a truck roll last night. Got home, gray snow screen. Power cord reset. Comes up, says acquiring signal 355 for a long time. Power cord reset. Same thing, eventually got a Complete Loss of Signal message. Called Dish. Recording says to go run Check Switch. At some point, it said it can't find one of my satellites, do I want to remove it? I figured it was talking about 129, so I said yes. At that point, it is only seeing 110. Power cord reset. Check switch. 119 came back into view, so I had 110 and 119. Finally acquired signal.

Last night about an hour later, my email has this, based on the little struggle:

---

We are writing to notify you of a known issue with your DISH TV service.
During a routine maintenance of our systems, an unexpected error occurred that may have impacted your service and could have caused a loss of channels or an error message to appear.​
If you are experiencing this issue, here are steps to take in order to restore your service:
  1. Press the "HOME" button 3 times on the DISH remote to go to the Diagnostics screen.​
  2. Use your arrows on your remote to navigate to option #3, titled “Dish” on the left-hand side.​
  3. At the bottom of the screen, verify the word “locked” appears in green text and skip to step 5. If “not locked” appears in red text instead, navigate over and select the box that says "Tuner” with a 0 next to it, then select 1 when the numbers appear.​
  4. At the bottom of the screen, verify the word “locked” appears in green text and skip to step 5. If “not locked” appears in red text instead, navigate to the box that is named "Satellite" and then select 110 from the list that appears.​
  5. Once the green “Locked” text is shown at the bottom of the screen, select "Test Installation" on the right hand side of the screen.​
  6. Pop-up 058 will appear and a progress bar will complete (this step will take about 5 minutes to complete).​
  7. If pop-up 836 appears, select “Save” and then select “save” again on the next pop up screen.​
  8. Verify 119 and 110 are present in the grid, and both have green check marks.​
  9. Locate the red “reset” button on the front of your Hopper receiver. Press that red button once, and your TV will go to a black screen. The box will begin to reboot and you will see “Hopper 3 Starting Up” (this step will take about 5 minutes to complete).​
  10. A message that says “acquiring satellite signal” will appear on the screen. Wait for this step to complete (this step will take about 5 minutes to complete).​
We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Thank you for being a valued Dish customer.​

I thought I was going to need a truck roll last night. Got home, gray snow screen. Power cord reset. Comes up, says acquiring signal 355 for a long time. Power cord reset. Same thing, eventually got a Complete Loss of Signal message. Called Dish. Recording says to go run Check Switch. At some point, it said it can't find one of my satellites, do I want to remove it? I figured it was talking about 129, so I said yes. At that point, it is only seeing 110. Power cord reset. Check switch. 119 came back into view, so I had 110 and 119. Finally acquired signal.

Last night about an hour later, my email has this, based on the little struggle:

---

We are writing to notify you of a known issue with your DISH TV service.
During a routine maintenance of our systems, an unexpected error occurred that may have impacted your service and could have caused a loss of channels or an error message to appear.​
If you are experiencing this issue, here are steps to take in order to restore your service:
  1. Press the "HOME" button 3 times on the DISH remote to go to the Diagnostics screen.​
  2. Use your arrows on your remote to navigate to option #3, titled “Dish” on the left-hand side.​
  3. At the bottom of the screen, verify the word “locked” appears in green text and skip to step 5. If “not locked” appears in red text instead, navigate over and select the box that says "Tuner” with a 0 next to it, then select 1 when the numbers appear.​
  4. At the bottom of the screen, verify the word “locked” appears in green text and skip to step 5. If “not locked” appears in red text instead, navigate to the box that is named "Satellite" and then select 110 from the list that appears.​
  5. Once the green “Locked” text is shown at the bottom of the screen, select "Test Installation" on the right hand side of the screen.​
  6. Pop-up 058 will appear and a progress bar will complete (this step will take about 5 minutes to complete).​
  7. If pop-up 836 appears, select “Save” and then select “save” again on the next pop up screen.​
  8. Verify 119 and 110 are present in the grid, and both have green check marks.​
  9. Locate the red “reset” button on the front of your Hopper receiver. Press that red button once, and your TV will go to a black screen. The box will begin to reboot and you will see “Hopper 3 Starting Up” (this step will take about 5 minutes to complete).​
  10. A message that says “acquiring satellite signal” will appear on the screen. Wait for this step to complete (this step will take about 5 minutes to complete).​
We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Thank you for being a valued Dish customer.​
Looks like they've gotten rather sophisticated at telling people what to do. But how many are techy enough to go through all of that?

Reactions: SandFarmer
Looks like they've gotten rather sophisticated at telling people what to do. But how many are techy enough to go through all of that?
I wouldn’t sell people short. With proper instruction folks are a lot more technically capable than we sometimes give them credit for. It sometimes means having more patience than some are willing to give. There are exceptions of course, but I would rather start out on the positive side first than assume the negative.

In my Hopper Plus check switch menu I cannot see the satellite and transponder info & there is a red not locked displayed. Tried everything in post #2 and get it to work. But, when I back out try to check the transponder again I get the red not locked again. See pic. The channels all work OK. My Hopper 3 does not have this issue.

Attachments

• Hopper Plus Check Switch.jpg
    Hopper Plus Check Switch.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 93
In my Hopper Plus check switch menu I cannot see the satellite and transponder info & there is a red not locked displayed. Tried everything in post #2 and get it to work. But, when I back out try to check the transponder again I get the red not locked again. See pic. The channels all work OK. My Hopper 3 does not have this issue.
If your channels are working then nothing to worry about. Occasionally hoppers will stop displaying info properly in the diagnostic screens. Usually a reset will fix that though. Also the hopper plus itself doesn’t receive satellite signal or perform the check switch, it’s still done by the actual hopper it’s attached to.

I helped my buddy with his hopper with sling since he was having problems since the 129 decommission. I turned it on a local channel which is on 110. Then I went to the satellite screen and it was locked on 110 and the spotbeam. I then reran the checkswitch and it came back locked and the 129 sat had all red Xs. So he hasn't had anymore trouble not locking in. Its either 110 or 119 sat now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts