Hopper / Joey Diplexer Question

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
Can the coax cable from a Duo Node to a Joey be diplexed with RF modulated signal from a Hopper? On two TVs that will have Joeys I want to also have RF modulated signal coming in from the Hoppers. The two rooms where the Joeys will be located only have one coax so I would like to use a diplexer. Sense the Hopper does not have a home distribution port I plan on installing a RF modulator on each Hopper. The modulated out signal will be connected to my home distribution splitter. The home splitter distributes RF signal to all TVs including the TVs that will have Hoppers and Joeys. With all the MOCA stuff going on I am not sure the different frequencies can be diplexed.

Approximately half of OTA broadcast channels overlap with the low end of the moca signal. So... In general people cannot diplex an antenna signal onto that coax. But if you pick a low frequency for your RF modulator, I think you could just use a splitter/combiner to do this. A regular diplexer would probably quash the moca signal as well, so you don't want to use that.

Approximately half of OTA broadcast channels overlap with the low end of the moca signal. So... In general people cannot diplex an antenna signal onto that coax. But if you pick a low frequency for your RF modulator, I think you could just use a splitter/combiner to do this. A regular diplexer would probably quash the moca signal as well, so you don't want to use that.

OK, thanks TheKrell. Presently three of my DVRs now I use channel 80, 85, and 90. I will try it out and see how it goes. One of the rooms I can snake a second coax to the TV but the other room it would be a big headache to install a second coax. I was just wanting to get as much cable pre-work done as I can before the installer comes.

IIRC those channels overlap the moca signal. I was referring to low channel frequencies, such as 3.

The modulator model I have planned on using has a choice of UHF channels 14 to 69 or CATV channels 65 to 125. I am planning on leasing two Hoppers w/sling and purchasing a third Hopper w/Sling when they become available. So what type and three channel numbers do I have the best shot that might work? Also, should I get a couple two way splitters of this type to try out the splitter/combiner method? http://www.hollandelectronics.com/catalog/catalog.php?product_id=Coaxial-IPTV-Splitter

Oh dear. I don't remember where the moca band starts. :( I think you would be safe picking the lowest 3 channels your modulators have. As for those splitters, I think you could get by with a cheaper and simpler splitter, since these are rated for HPNA use. What phone line networking has to do with these splitters, I don't understand.

Oh dear. I don't remember where the moca band starts. :( I think you would be safe picking the lowest 3 channels your modulators have. As for those splitters, I think you could get by with a cheaper and simpler splitter, since these are rated for HPNA use. What phone line networking has to do with these splitters, I don't understand.

OK, thanks for your help.

i think you will have problems with this. i have seen techs try to use diplexers with hopper systems and run into immediate issues.

i think you will have problems with this. i have seen techs try to use diplexers with hopper systems and run into immediate issues.

After my Hopper install is complete and I am over the shock of the new system I will run some test to see if I can get a single coax to a Joey to share with RF. All my TV/Satellite coax come together in one area in the basement so testing will be easy to do. I will try out different types of backward splitters (combine) and also diplexers. I am planning on having two Joeys and only one of them is important to have the modulated RF at that TV. Running a second coax will be easy to run to that location so I will be in good shape. But I still would like to know if diplexers or backward splitters will work so will run some test to the second Joey.

Does anyone know of a chart that shows the different freq ranges of RF, OTA, CATV, Satellite, MOCA, and whatever else there is? Recently I was researching Verizon Fios TV/Internet and thought I saw a chart that showed the different freq ranges but can’t find it now. I am not real sure but I think the MOCAs or different between Direct, Dish, and Verizon. I think it is a different kind of MOCA or different freq ranges or something. I remember reading that Verizon requires 3G splitters.

You're most welcome. I had a heck of a time finding it; I had to get creative and rack my brain to formulate the search that worked.

wow i just spent like 20 minutes looking for that chart because i knew it existed but i couldnt find it.

this is the only training info i could find:
Q: What is the frequency range that the cables carry between the dish assembly and the Node?
A: 950-2150 MHz
Q: What is the frequency range that cables carry between the Node and a Hopper?
A: 650-3000 MHz

looks like if you can find rf frequency under 650 mhz or so it may combine with the other signals.

wow i just spent like 20 minutes looking for that chart because i knew it existed but i couldnt find it.

this is the only training info i could find:
Q: What is the frequency range that the cables carry between the dish assembly and the Node?
A: 950-2150 MHz
Q: What is the frequency range that cables carry between the Node and a Hopper?
A: 650-3000 MHz

looks like if you can find rf frequency under 650 mhz or so it may combine with the other signals.

So, I wonder if there is a chart for CATV and OTA!

Another thing to consider you should only have two devices (splitters, hics, taps, isolators) between a joey and the node. The moca signal will drop to a very low and unreliable level causing the joeys to not work properly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts