Hopper Plus new hardware??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
A Dish/DTV merge would bring "efficiencies" and sufficient critical mass to make DBS a survivable business in the long run with just enough subscribers
What about contracts? or will they give them the power to SAY NO to forced OTA's, RSN's and ESPN in the base packages with an REAL push for an sports pack that is just an add on?
and they can say we really don't need forced locals and can have an local tuner setup for them?

Offer things like NHL CI, NBA LP, NFL ST, MLB EI ONLY packages? Even if just for commercial use? as the bandwidth for each bar on say 1 cable node to be pulling 8+ HD/ 4K feeds at the same time + home use can just kill an cable node.

Reactions: charlesrshell
As far as 5G goes, it is really spotty. I live about 1/2 mile from a T-Mobile 5G tower. I recently switched to T-Mobile Home Internet and I get a very good 5G signal. The supplied gateway gives you access to real time stats from the tower. That said, even people who live fairly close to me get poor results from the same service. And that tower is the slower implementation of 5G, not the ultra fast version so it reaches farther but is not nearly as fast. The best I see is around 100-120 Mb download speeds.
Inside an almost empty Rupp Arena in Lexington KY prior to a basketball game.
5G test Rupp Arena.png
5G Rupp Arena.jpg

I thought that Dish and DTV equipment were not compatible with each other. After a merger, Dish would have to replace ALL DTV equipment, which would not make a merger a good deal, but a costly one.
There is precedent for how a merger of Dish and DirecTV would work. Two different ways, actually. DirecTV bought Primestar in 1999 and eventually moved every subscriber (who didn't get poached by Dish) over to DirecTV. I don't think that would be a bad idea, especially if they have an army of installers that don't have a lot of install work to do and a warehouse full of dishes and receivers that no one is buying

The other precedent is the Sirius and XM merger. SiriusXM still to this day operates two separate systems, but also if you have a new "merged" radio you get more channels, better sound quality, etc.

Which direction they go totally depends on who ends up running the company and their thesis behind it. Do they try to do it completely on the cheap and just wring every dollar out until it's dead? Then keep both systems up and running, but only do new installs from one or the other and over time it solves itself

Are they going to try to be a premium television experience and play to their strengths? Provide extremely good picture quality, extremely good technology in their set tops, and an expansive array of programming (basically have every linear channel they possibly can, including all the international TV they can)? Then the smart thing would be to standardize on one tech platform (probably Dish) on the Dish WA + DirecTV orbital slots. With that much combined bandwidth, along with completely dumping SD duplicates, they could offer every channel in HD, with extremely high bitrates, and offer a ton of 4K

I think a TV service with that philosophy lasts a lot longer than any other cable or satellite provider, because you'll be able to keep all of the sports bars and hotels and the like with the rock solid set top box technology along with having all the sports. You'll also keep people who don't care about price and want everything

If there were going to be a merger with DTV it would have happened at low ebb, not after a spinoff and outside investors got their talons in it.
Actually, the AT&T spinoff is leading up to someone buying up DirecTV. This is how these things go, they couldn't find anyone to buy it outright at the price they wanted, so they spun off a stake to private equity. Eventually either private equity will find another buyer for the rest that AT&T owns or someone will decide to come take the whole carcass. Doing it in dribs and drabs keeps it from looking super terrible all at once to AT&T investors, but the TPG stake in DirecTV is 100% step 3 or 4 in a plan for AT&T to sell every share of DirecTV they own

Reactions: John2021
Say what?

I was born in Long Beach and grew up in various homes in Orange County. Now I don't know Lubbock at all, so I'll take your word for it that it's totally flat. And certainly there were dead spots in OC such as the cliffs next to the Pacific where one of our homes needed a big antenna on a tall mast to receive even snowy TV. But most of the population lived on a flat plain with LOS to Mt. Wilson. Am I not remembering correctly?
Huh? Well south LA County and that far south into Long Beach area is fairly flat by comparison to MOST of the grater LA area. Also, yes, the Gateway cities of Los Angeles County (Cities like Downey, Lakewood, etc.) and neighboring cites in Orange County like La Palma to Buena Park, is probably the flattest area in the metro area (and its very high water table due to its flatness that caused the sinking of the 105 Freeway that required an approximate $250,000,000+ fix), but those areas a truly the exception (even the SFV and SGV aren't as flat as most cities) few, and one simply can NOT judge quality of service by only ONE location, such as one's home.

What you may be "forgetting" is that these are MOBILE devices and people travel all over the LA Metro area and do often encounter poor reception, dropped calls, much slower speeds due to terrain even with 4G/LTE, because one can NOT escape even just the hills and bigger hills and mountains that we must either travel alongside or traverse to work or visits or pleasure. In fact, there has been and still are to some degree, a great many dead zones when crossing the mountains or larger hill because of the challenge the Wireless face in getting a cell tower built there. And these conditions for RF can get worse with the 5G wireless spectrum.

Also, you may have "forgotten" a great many people live in the shadow of these hills and mountains that block broadcast towers RF signals from Mt. Wilson and, even lower, Mt. Harvard, and have no other means to watch linear TV than a pay TV service. Sure the LA area looks flat looking at the mountains and then seeing the natural slope downward, but, but when one is on the ground throughout Southern California, often surrounded by hills and mountains EVERYWHERE, it is a different RF experience. One thing LA and southern CA is not is FLAT.

I run into problems on my own journeys and often have problems from those calling me and then break-up, etc. and announce that they are "by a hill now" or they are "going over the mountain now; I can't hear you; I'll call you when I get clear." In fact, I work like the devil to take roads that avoid having to deal with grades of the roads and going steep up and down, just to save gas and wear and tear on the car, but those less hilly routes still put me in their shadow, but better reception, as well, as opposed to crossing the hills and mountains.

Agreed, if one lives in and never has need to leave Long Beach or most of the Gateway cities area, they may not even know that hills even exist outside their Long Beach/Gateway Cities home, but for the rest of us, it, the non-flatness of the place, does present different challenges. Flat? I can't find anyplace I have to go flat enough.

Agreed, if one lives in and never has need to leave Long Beach or most of the Gateway cities area, they may not even know that hills even exist outside their Long Beach/Gateway Cities home, but for the rest of us, it, the non-flatness of the place, does present different challenges. Flat? I can't find anyplace I have to go flat enough.
OK, well, I must not be remembering those BIG STEEP "hilly" areas, because I thought everybody had LOS to Mt. Wilson for TV. I was not referring to cell phone towers, which aren't nearly as tall as Mt. Wilson at 5713 ft. ;)

I also didn't realize I was living in a desert until my folks drove into a deep ravine near San Diego and I spotted the cactus.

OK, well, I must not be remembering those BIG STEEP "hilly" areas, because I thought everybody had LOS to Mt. Wilson for TV. I was not referring to cell phone towers, which aren't nearly as tall as Mt. Wilson at 5713 ft. ;)

I also didn't realize I was living in a desert until my folks drove into a deep ravine near San Diego and I spotted the cactus.
That wasn't a ravine, it was El Cajon!!! lol
(For clearance, I used to live in EL Cajon lol)

• Haha
Reactions: TheKrell
Dish is listed as being "at" CES 2022 here:

Featured Exhibitors - CES 2022
Yea
I have been told they are not there. (Perhaps they were planning on going and pulled out because of COVID, or because they have nothing new at this time to show) :D
Scott I have the same feelings too because of Covid I saw some photos on Twitter of the halls there at ces and it's like nobody's there. I know some of my friends of mine could not go because of Covid so they watched it virtually this year.

Exactly my point: Life in LA really can be a MICRO experience, such as is the MICRO-Climate here. And you were NOT living in a desert. The desserts--as in REAL, PROPER desserts, not facsimiles--are on the other side of the mountains such as the Antelope Valley, the Victor Valley and San Bernardino and Riverside counties, and those places really have climate that is out of another planet.You were living in what is classified Mediterranean Climate with Desserts classified as getting less than 10" of rain per year with the LA area in general getting and average of 14" per year. I believe Antarctica and the Arctic are also classified as "desserts." We just don't get a lot of rainfall below the mountains, but the mountains average is about 40" per year, hence the largest, most complex flood control system in the world. It is a wonder it does not flood here like it should, but that is not by accident, and sometimes still a challenge. Devastating floods up to the 1930's taught is big lessons, the hard way.

LA is no Las Vegas or Phoenix or even some Texas cites that are truly dessert climate and conditions. We just get NONE of that here, and people from those places think we are crazy and don't know what HOT (and HUMID) really is. In Santa Monica people think 78 is "HOT". Outsiders who come love how "cool" and "comfortable" it is compared to the hell they used to live, and that includes just about every other part of the country except for the Pacific Northwest. Outside the true dessert areas and the SFV & SGV Valleys and Long Beach, 80 degrees is warm and uncomfortable for us and getting to 85 degrees is really too HOT for most of us, we can't really handle it well, and heaven forbid the humidity is over 30%.

Maybe 10+ years ago we had Las Vegas-Phoenix weather for about 2 weeks, with no cooling at night, a saving grace in the summer here (a wild FREAK event), and we had countless 20+ year old transformers in neighborhoods blowing up and causing numerous small scale power outages every day with people out of power for days before local transformers were replaced, yet Vegas and Phoenix handle that weather with "no sweat," but it was major event that almost catastrophic!

The vast majority of us are traveling more than a few miles can't really escape the tyranny of the terrain, and I am surprised that you thought everyone could get the RF towers at Mt. Wilson and Mt. Harvard. Way, way, way more people than even I thought are living in the shadow of a hill or mountain that has NO HOPE of ever getting any RF from either Mt. Wilson or Mt. Harvard. Heck, I am a few miles away from a First Effect Hill that challenges my reception of some OTA TV stations from Mt. Wilson, and Mt. Harvard, and you can't even SEE the hill from the ground that casts a shadow for me, although I can get about 85% of the channels (something like about 135-148 Channels, but still missing like 20-30 more from Mt. Wilson and Harvard not counting a few with Xmtrs NOT on the SGV Mts but on other peaks not LOS of Wilson & Harvard), but those poor buggers just a few blocks north of me are in real trouble and even more houses beyond are getting NOTHING, and this is the case all over--IF you are in the shadow, but not everyone is, but more than I would have ever thought, especially RELIABLE signals from the SG mountains.

It may be that some people just don't get around much, nor have they lived in various parts of LA and Orange County to experience for themselves. I have, and hills and mountains are everywhere and hard to avoid for a great many people.

Last edited: