Hopper Plus new hardware??

As far as 5G goes, it is really spotty. I live about 1/2 mile from a T-Mobile 5G tower. I recently switched to T-Mobile Home Internet and I get a very good 5G signal. The supplied gateway gives you access to real time stats from the tower. That said, even people who live fairly close to me get poor results from the same service. And that tower is the slower implementation of 5G, not the ultra fast version so it reaches farther but is not nearly as fast. The best I see is around 100-120 Mb download speeds.
Great point you brought up about the differences in performance of 5G related to spectrum used. Yeah, not all "5G" is the same. I believe that some spectrum can travel farther, but not as speedy, while the very short range that is easily blocked by structures type of specturm provides the fastest speeds--me think--IIRC. All about "compromise."

Reactions: charlesrshell
Exactly my point: Life in LA really can be a MICRO experience, such as is the MICRO-Climate here. And you were NOT living in a desert. The desserts--as in REAL, PROPER desserts, not facsimiles--are on the other side of the mountains such as the Antelope Valley, the Victor Valley and San Bernardino and Riverside counties, and those places really have climate that is out of another planet.You were living in what is classified Mediterranean Climate with Desserts classified as getting less than 10" of rain per year with the LA area in general getting and average of 14" per year. I believe Antarctica and the Arctic are also classified as "desserts." We just don't get a lot of rainfall below the mountains, but the mountains average is about 40" per year, hence the largest, most complex flood control system in the world. It is a wonder it does not flood here like it should, but that is not by accident, and sometimes still a challenge. Devastating floods up to the 1930's taught is big lessons, the hard way.

LA is no Las Vegas or Phoenix or even some Texas cites that are truly dessert climate and conditions. We just get NONE of that here, and people from those places think we are crazy and don't know what HOT (and HUMID) really is. In Santa Monica people think 78 is "HOT". Outsiders who come love how "cool" and "comfortable" it is compared to the hell they used to live, and that includes just about every other part of the country except for the Pacific Northwest. Outside the true dessert areas and the SFV & SGV Valleys and Long Beach, 80 degrees is warm and uncomfortable for us and getting to 85 degrees is really too HOT for most of us, we can't really handle it well, and heaven forbid the humidity is over 30%.

Maybe 10+ years ago we had Las Vegas-Phoenix weather for about 2 weeks, with no cooling at night, a saving grace in the summer here (a wild FREAK event), and we had countless 20+ year old transformers in neighborhoods blowing up and causing numerous small scale power outages every day with people out of power for days before local transformers were replaced, yet Vegas and Phoenix handle that weather with "no sweat," but it was major event that almost catastrophic!

The vast majority of us are traveling more than a few miles can't really escape the tyranny of the terrain, and I am surprised that you thought everyone could get the RF towers at Mt. Wilson and Mt. Harvard. Way, way, way more people than even I thought are living in the shadow of a hill or mountain that has NO HOPE of ever getting any RF from either Mt. Wilson or Mt. Harvard. Heck, I am a few miles away from a First Effect Hill that challenges my reception of some OTA TV stations from Mt. Wilson, and Mt. Harvard, and you can't even SEE the hill from the ground that casts a shadow for me, although I can get about 85% of the channels (something like about 135-148 Channels, but still missing like 20-30 more from Mt. Wilson and Harvard not counting a few with Xmtrs NOT on the SGV Mts but on other peaks not LOS of Wilson & Harvard), but those poor buggers just a few blocks north of me are in real trouble and even more houses beyond are getting NOTHING, and this is the case all over--IF you are in the shadow, but not everyone is, but more than I would have ever thought, especially RELIABLE signals from the SG mountains.

It may be that some people just don't get around much, nor have they lived in various parts of LA and Orange County to experience for themselves. I have, and hills and mountains are everywhere and hard to avoid for a great many people.
I love living in Phoenix. Hyperthyroidism just reminded me this last summer how hot it gets. My younger years, no big deal. As I get older, the hot and cold hurt more and more.

I lived in Germany, Tx, Iraq, Missouri, and a few other places since 2000, and hot, or cold, or hilly, or flat, I’ve seen it all and love it all. But humidity still sucks.

Mostly good post DishSubLA. I have but one quibble: it's spelled desert. :D
Way, way, way more people than even I thought are living in the shadow of a hill or mountain that has NO HOPE of ever getting any RF from either Mt. Wilson or Mt. Harvard.
Yeah, and I think people long ago filled up the plains and started building homes up mountainsides or into deep ravines with no LOS. My experience ended in the early 70's. Perhaps you have more recent experience than I do.

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 5.24.34 PM.png
Mostly good post DishSubLA. I have but one quibble: it's spelled desert. :D
But he can eat his words, and he is wordy! :D

PLACE YOUR BETS!

……………………PLACE YOUR BETS!

Odds on the valley of smokes (LA, CA) being among the first to strongly limit and then forbid ICE vehicles!

Note: Native Americans found it smoky LONG before the white man appeared, never mind his infernal combustion engines!

Native Americans found it smoky LONG before the white man appeared, never mind his infernal combustion engines!
Are you referring to fog? We get a lot of that coming off the ocean. I don't know where literal smoke would be coming from. Wildfires?

Are you referring to fog? We get a lot of that coming off the ocean. I don't know where literal smoke would be coming from. Wildfires?
Doing a Google search, I found that the inference of smoke came from Native Americans in the San Gabriel Valley. Having lived in both the San Fernando valley as well as the San Gabriel Valleys I can attest to the fact that air can get stagnant in both places. I do remember that in the early to middle 50s there was little smog in the San Fernando Valley. I used to go up in the hills of the Santa Monica Mountains in Tarzana to raid the orange groves :) and I could easily look across the entire valley and it was crystal clear. By the time I got to high school in 1958 smog was a big thing. I ran track in those days and my lungs used to burn from its effects. I am going to guess that those reports of smoky air comes from camp fires.

256 tuners how many can find 16 shows that are worth recording :cocoo_O
From the tuner's point of view, ALL shows are worth recording.

So, currently the 2TB internal drive can hold 500 hours of HD programming, or 500/16=31.25 hours per tuner.

When they crank up the 256 tuners, it's going to require 16 times more drive space to maintain the 31.25 hours per tuner,
so that means 32TB of drive space needed, which will provide 8000 hours of HD program storage (333 days).

I heard that for space and heat reasons, they're considering the OWC ThunderBlade 32TB SSD to be able to offer this. One small issue is that it costs $6799.00, so it might affect the cost of the Hopper to the end user by some degree.

I realize you guys are just being facetious but some take your comments as fact.
So let me clarify that Dish is not developing a Hopper with 256 tuners and a 32 TB solid state drive. The thing I appreciate the most about SatelliteGuys is the posts that help users with problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So- the Hopper Plus could contain a combined ATSC 1 and ATSC 3 OTA tuner. Could. Just positing. I expect demand for such OTA tuner to be so low that it would still make sense to only provide that functionality in an offboard extra cost dongle. Or am I missing something? Some reason to build such in.

I am trying to figure out what other features the Plus might have, besides Internet streaming. If any.

What were guesses on previous proposed Dish equipment? Breakfast and popcorn maker? :D

• Haha
Hopefully it will be released this year.
Yeah, I thought we'd see DISH announce the Hopper Plus and other new hardware during CES this week given that they were listed as a participant. But I read that they weren't an exhibitor this year, there were just there to take meetings (probably for their new 5G wireless venture).

Man has this one gone off track. We were talking about equipment that does not exist yet.

Maybe I will come and check in to this thread in a few months and see if we have got back on topic or not. LOL.
I mean if there's anyone who has information that relates to the original topic of this thread that hasn't been posted yet it is you....

Reactions: TheKrell
I mean if there's anyone who has information that relates to the original topic of this thread that hasn't been posted yet it is you....
Good point, and yet he's silent. I hope they aren't pulling it like they did the Sling Extender I was rarin' to buy. Scott said he had a prototype and it was too damn slow. :)-(

So let me clarify that Dish is not developing a Hopper with 256 tuners and a 32 TB solid state drive. The thing I appreciate the most about SatelliteGuys is the posts that help users with problems.
Who are you to say that Dish is not developing a Hopper with 256 tuners and a 32 TB SSD?

I, too, appreciate the posts that help users with problems. The problem here is that users want to know about the "Hopper Plus New Hardware". The posts that help those users with a solution to that problem are those that provide predictions on that New Hardware. I, for one, say "You're welcome."

Are you, in fact, implying that Dish is developing a Hopper with 256 tuners and more than a 32 TB SSD? Or, a liquid-cooled 64 TB spinning hard drive array? Silence implies consent.

Last edited: