Hopper Poll

Upgrade yes or no

• Total voters
Well I plan on putting it in my house as soon as I am able to activate it. The rest of you I think are overthinking and overreacting. If it doesn't work for you, then don't get it. We don't need a detailed description on how the Hopper screws you over and will suck. If it does seem like a good fit for you, then get it when the time is right for you. Seems pretty simple to me.

Sometimes I feel like we could all be great Sports analysts. They over analyze that crap out of everything. We should have a SatelliteGuys TV show and we could discuss this stuff all day. Now that's a job I'd love to have.
Well there you go...Looks like there will be no more negative posts wanted here. Shut the Hopper threads down until they're out in the field I guess..... :shh

I just don't see the point of posting about how bad it is when you haven't seen it yet. I suppose that goes the same for people saying it will be amazing though too. Too me it sounds like a great addition to Dish's line up of equipment. There is a solution for just about anyone's situation. If the Hopper doesn't fit your needs then stick with what does. I'm the type that likes new things and I'm excited for it. I was excited for the 922 also and I actually don't regret getting it. I've enjoyed every bit of it and I think I'm going to love the Hopper. I'm not real excited for the extra $14/month I'll be spending to get the setup I want but at least I finally have the capability to do it.

Well I plan on putting it in my house as soon as I am able to activate it. The rest of you I think are overthinking and overreacting. If it doesn't work for you, then don't get it. We don't need a detailed description on how the Hopper screws you over and will suck. If it does seem like a good fit for you, then get it when the time is right for you. Seems pretty simple to me.
No, customers here don't need a detailed description over how a large segment of the customer base will be screwed over by fees, but Dish does. As Scott said, Dish is monitoring the forums for feedback, so we are giving it.

If we succeed in getting a reduction/waiver of the first joey fee based on our chorus of squeaky wheel voices ;), then everyone benefits, so why fight with us? :p

The bottom line is for the same money monthly on equipment Directv is cheaper & has more available tuners, dish has no response for this accusation.............

I voted undecided as I am someone researching options for a provider switch, don't know if it was open to other folks who have other services, but I guess Dish would want Folks from other providers to be interested in there new equipment/service

No, customers here don't need a detailed description over how a large segment of the customer base will be screwed over by fees, but Dish does. As Scott said, Dish is monitoring the forums for feedback, so we are giving it.

If we succeed in getting a reduction/waiver of the first joey fee based on our chorus of squeaky wheel voices ;), then everyone benefits, so why fight with us? :p
Also, let me add that Dish benefits by getting as many customers switched over to the Hopper system as they can...lower equipment and maintenance costs with fewer models to manufacture, support and install. If they realize that too many of their customers don't want to upgrade based either on functionality or fees, then they may need to reconsider their priorities.

Well, I voted "can't wait" even though I might wait a while. Currently under contract with D*. I've been trying to get a HR34 for a decent price, but they are insistent that I pay $399+$50 install+$50 upgrade charge, making the total $500. I can empathize with their position since I've only been with them a few months. But it irritated me a bit, so I did a spreadsheet.

For less than what D* wants for the HR34 alone, I can terminate and switch. ETF on 3/15 will be $340, thus making the switch $160 cheaper than buying the HR34.

then when I did the numbers, over two years, I could save about $835 (a bit less than $35/month). No cost to switch to Dish as one Hopper and one Joey would do it. I was surprised at that. I looked at all my 3 HDDVRs to see what I'm using the 6 tuners I have for and found that with PTAT, I would never have a conflict. Of course, with the cable channel shows, they rerun the hell out most of them so time doesn't matter as I watch almost nothing live.

The little I watch live is 'almost live', delayed enough so I can skip through the ads. Like boxing and golf, my two sports. My son watches football but doesn't want NFLST next season since he would have to pony up the cash for it, and his MMA and UFC stuff is all cable channel with the endless repeats.

So sometime along the way I'll be making a choice.

Thanks Scott,

I intended for the poll to be open to all our members.All I ask is that everyone stays objective.Don't vote very disappointed just because you can't stand dish,or don't vote can't wait just because you love dish.:)

I voted undecided. I'm waiting to see if I can keep some of my VIP receivers and the OTA tuner is an issue.

Because your beating you head against the wall and we are getting tired of all the noise.

Hopper vs VIP provides easy, built-in market segmentation for Dish. For the cost conscious - go VIP Duo. Dish gets to use largely refurb equipment, client gets a lower bill but trades off having HD on additional TVs.

Want the latest and greatest - go Hopper and pay fees that are in line with most everyone else out there.

For DVR and HD at each outlet, Hopper is at most $4 more per month than any existing Dish solution, in many situations it will work out to be less. I know 211 EHD users can argue this point, but you gain a good bit with Hopper over multiple 211/EHDs.

For folks somewhere in-between, they will have to make a choice. Dish will never make everyone happy.

Looking at the Dish pricing options from top to bottom Hopper makes sense. They provide more choices than most of their competitors. I don't see them changing anything unless they start seeing some real data to suggest they need to. Rants here won't sway them.

Rants here won't sway them.

No it won't.However if they truly are paying attention which I hope they are they can find ways to entice new/old customers alike and make the Hopper the one thing that every tv fan will want.It would be a great way to add subscribers instead of lose more.

For DVR and HD at each outlet, Hopper is at most $4 more per month than any existing Dish solution
Correction: For Integrated DVR and HD at each outlet, there is no current solution, unless you consider a shared EHD between 2 622/722 class receivers as integrated. Integrated is more important to me than HD at every outlet, so I won't be paying $23 a month for the old solution (which isn't really one) or $17 a month for a 2-TV Hopper solution. So my 2-TV setup choice is the single 622/722 dual tuner integrated DVR, or the 1H/1J solution. Yes, the difference is $11, not $4. HD at the 2nd outlet is a nice-to-have addition to my requirement, but not for $132 more per year.

Because your beating you head against the wall and we are getting tired of all the noise.
I'll take Scott's invitation for ALL feedback over your attempt to shut the door on me. :p

Last edited:
Still think like others do that 1 Joey should be incluided free in a whole house set up.

It makes sense if Dish is actually listening. Hopefully it makes a difference.

I voted "Can't Wait" because PTA is going to be a godsend, especially on Thursdays. I just hope it won't take too long for OTA to become available, because I occasionally like to record on PBS or the CW. If I have to, I can watch live off the antenna, but it will suck not to be able to pause or rewind. I'll probably wait until this TV season is over to upgrade, and hope OTA will be available by the fall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)