Hopper recognizes EHD, but not previous content.

bill7621

Original poster
May 27, 2012
Youngstown, Ohio
Hi, I'm new here with a problem as most people are. If this is in the wrong place, I apologize, but didn't think it appropriate for the "bug" thread since I'm not sure it's a bug. I had a VIP622 with an EHD attached and when I upgraded to a Hopper about 6 weeks ago, I was told the EHD would work fine. Well, it didn't. The Hopper sees the EHD, but not the content on it. I get the warning 865 and the message about it having to reformat and all existing data will be lost. I haven't reformatted yet with the hopes that this bug would get corrected. I've noticed that some people have had this or similar problems and got fixed, and others never had this problem.
Now, my EHD is a Maxtor One touch 4 500GB. According to the dish website, and to the girl I spoke to on the phone, this was not a supported HD and I'd probably end up losing everything on it. Trouble is, it worked great till the switch and I figured I'd ask here if there was anything that could be done before I give up. Nothing on it was from any pay channels. Mostly AMC, TMC, and local channels. I had the royal wedding saved also. Nothing earth shattering if lost, but I hate to lose it if I don't have to.
The only other issues I've had are the pink/purple screen of death that got corrected fairly quick and I'm having an audio issue where the sound drops out on HD channels, but not the regular channels. And if I go back a little, the sound is there....go figure!
Anyhow, I have the latest software version...S212 and only one hopper, no joey! I also have the usual A/V gear, but that has no bearing on my problem.

So, anything I can do? Is there hope or should I just bite the bullet and consider everything lost?

That happened to mine for a while. The EHD was there but thhere were no movies. Then one day I checked and they were all back.

That happened to mine for a while. The EHD was there but thhere were no movies. Then one day I checked and they were all back.
Well in that case I'll hold off before I reformat. I contacted Zach and he sent an authorization to my hopper and said if that didn't work I'd be up that creek without a paddle (not in those words). As I stated, I didn't use one of the few supported externals because I had a few sitting around and used what I had. It worked fine, but again, it wasn't supported and I'm sure there were a lot of people that did the exact same thing by using what they had. I won't make that mistake again. I just don't understand what would make one external any different than another. Oh well, it's not the end of the world and maybe someone will come up with something that works, but I'm resigned to the fact that what's on it is unaccessible, at least for now. I just wish I'd known before hand so I could have burnt everything to dvd. I still wouldn't let this little problem stop me from getting one. I like mine.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts