Hopper requires HD TV?

75th

Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Hi, everyone. New member here.

So I have not yet made the upgrade to an HD TV yet (refuse to get a cheap LCD, saving up for a Panasonic plasma, but am horrible with money, etc., etc.).

I want to switch from cable to DISH, and the Hopper has gotten great reviews, so I called DISH and made clear I wanted a Hopper.

Two salesmen have now told me that the Hopper requires an HD TV. I accepted this from the first one, but then I looked up the manual, and lo and behold, the Hopper has SD output:

Screen Shot 2013-03-23 at 3.07.19 pm.png

I called back and told the second salesman about this; he acknowledged that it's confusing but was not able to tell me anything other than that an HD set was a requirement.

So now I don't know. I don't want to get a lesser DVR as my free one, because then I'd have to buy a Hopper at retail later on when I do finally get that Panasonic TV. I guess it's possible that some of the Hopper's on-screen display screens are HD only, but then I would have expected it to not have composite output.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Is this requirement an actual technical limitation, or is it just a crummy DISH policy? Is there any workaround that it's worth me trying to convince a third salesperson of?

Call back, order the Hopper, don't mention what your TV set is.... Don't mention HD at all. When the installer arrives he/she will install it and all will be well....

Call back, order the Hopper, don't mention what your TV set is.... Don't mention HD at all. When the installer arrives he/she will install it and all will be well....

The one caveat to this is that you may have to sub to an HD package to qualify for the Hopper. Generally speaking the $10 additional cost can be avoided through auto pay and paperless billing, but it's something to take into account if you can't actually view things in HD.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I thought of that. Only I'd hate for them to get here and find out that there really was a technical limitation after all. But if you're 100% sure that will work, that's what I'll do. Thanks!

The one caveat to this is that you may have to sub to an HD package to qualify for the Hopper.

Oh, absolutely. It's free HD for Life for new customers anyway.

Both Hopper and Joeys have composite outputs. They will work just fine on SD TVs. In fact, my bedroom Joey is hooked up to a 32" SD Toshiba just that way.....

The hopper requires HD programming(which depending on credit can cost $10 a month or free) not necessarily an HD tv. I have done a few hopper install on older tube tvs. If customer services give you hassle tell them you want the extra recording abilities the hopper has.

Sent From My Samsung Hercules

But I read that the guide isn't as easy to read on a SDTV. Or has this been corrected?

For most folks HD programming costs the same as SD so no problems there.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

As others have said, no technical issues or limitations, One could always say that the HDTV was ordered, but they postponed delivery. However, as long as you have some TV for the installer to verify that the system is, indeed, functioning and providing picture and sound on all TV's connected to Dish equipment, you should be fine--Even if you have to use the same TV (often a small portable one) :). A trick we used when others we still moving in but had NOT yet gotten the other TV's out and placed in the other rooms, and they weren't going to wait several days without TV in the house. Just as long as the installer could confirm that, yes, picture and sound at that connection.

Yes, I would imagine the training to the CSR's is that "HDTV Required" because people would get really P.O.'d about having to include HD programming if they did not want it (as my brother is one good example). It is easier to say "HDTV Required" than trying to explain how one can get a Hopper if they are willing to accept HD programming that they will never be able to see.

Well, couldn't they see it downrezzed on SD outputs?

Well, I meant never benefit from the HD resolution, so they "never see" it. After all, that is the point of HD, being able to have an HD display to see the enhanced experience. I still stand by "they will never see it." Then the question is, "What is 'it'?" "It" is one thing to you but another to me.

"It depends on what your definition of 'is' is." -Bill Clinton :).