Hopper Upgrades

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hello folks! Long time Dish customer here. Lost two tv's to age this year. :( We now have two shiny new HD tv's now, and the picture is less than desirable on the new boxes, as we are using the old SD DVR. Looking to upgrade to HD for both sets, so hopper and joey would needed for that I guess?

Annnd.....We also use an SD receiver for the two kids tvs...not really necessary for hd or DVR for them. Can I keep the old box for theirs? Does that make sense even? or would I need the one hopper and 3 joeys in that instance?

and... what should I expect costs(at install)? I waited on hold with dish twice then gave up. :)

Long time DISH subscriber. Have always installed my own equipment since 301 receivers. I suppose that's part of the hobby for me. Since I am in Alaska, have two antennas and need signals from 3 satellites, 129 (spot beam), 119 and 110. Desire to pull trigger on migration from one VIP622. Since the wife is the DVR queen she max's out the two VIP622 tuners quite often. I believe I want 2 hoppers and one joey. Looking for response from DIRT to help with technical issues and to schedule the install.

ak_dish1.JPGak_dish2.JPG

Long time DISH subscriber. Have always installed my own equipment since 301 receivers. I suppose that's part of the hobby for me. Since I am in Alaska, have two antennas and need signals from 3 satellites, 129 (spot beam), 119 and 110. Desire to pull trigger on migration from one VIP622. Since the wife is the DVR queen she max's out the two VIP622 tuners quite often. I believe I want 2 hoppers and one joey. Looking for response from DIRT to help with technical issues and to schedule the install.

Hi, I will send you a PM to assist you but to clarify, we do not have an option for a 2 Hopper/ 1 Joey install. All Hoppers are erequired to have a joey. We can do a 1 Hopper and 2 Joey or 2 Hopper and 2 Joey install. Thank you!

I am interested in doing a hopper upgrade, and it looks like the way to get it rolling is to post here! DIRT, please PM me. I have been checking on this forum and found answers to most of my questions but have a few nuances to verify.

When you reply, please verify for me:
-Minimum package required for upgrade? I have AT120+ currently - only get it to watch regional sports channel for Hockey, but that seems to be cancelled this year.
-Upfront cost / install cost / added cost per month. Note I have the monthly $7 DPP - does that matter.
-I see I can use my existing dish external HD to 'move' recordings from my 722 to Hopper - but my concern is it might take a day or so to do since I have a nearly full 722 as well as a nearly full EHD. Do I get a few days of time to transfer via EHD before having to return my 722?
-Can I do this upgrade myself or is installer visit required?
-The wiring needed between H and J? In my current 722 TV1/TV2 setup I have RG/6 wiring (rated 1800 MHz) already between my 2 HDTVs. Want to ensure new cabling not expected (less than 100').
-I know OTA and sling are separate add-ons. Is there any benefit to getting them now instead of later?

thanks, Scott

Last edited:
DiRT Team,

Woke up this morning to find my 922 dead with the dreaded black screen and fan at high speed. Rebooting / unplugging only gives the expected 5 - 10 minutes before it shuts down again. Since this is the second 922 I've been through with the same problem, I'd like to consider an upgrade to a Hopper/Joey combo. Can you please PM me when you have a chance.

Thanks!

DiRT,
It's time for me up upgrade from my 722 & 622 setup. I would need a 1H/2J + OTA setup (can I do more than 1 OTA?).

I will search out the wiring diagrams here on Satellite Guys. I have a pseudo full house distribution setup now where the SD outputs of both the 722 and 622 are re-distributed to all the TVs in my house. It's a complicated setup...

Your help would be appreciated. I'm a long time subscriber (15+ years).

when scrolling through the guide sometimes you forget what channel your currently on but you dont won't to close the guide because you have to start over and wont remember where you left off it would be great to show the channel number somewhere at the top where the channel preview the dish logo and the date and time is at

been reading up around here on the hopper system.. VERY cool little device.. I had no idea about it... looking forward to installing soon.

PM sent to "maryb" from dish" :)

Ok- I think I'm ready to finally upgrade to Hopper. I am interested in cost of 2 hoppers and 2 joeys. I currently have vip722 for 2 tvs but am in process of adding tv's. Can I get a PM to set up installation?

Now that the OTA support is available, I'm also ready to upgrade to the hopper. Please send me a PM.

Questions before upgrading:

1. Can I replace my only receiver, a 722K, with a Hopper (i.e. I don't want, or need, a Joey, I just want one Hopper)?
2. Is S230 now the only software on the Hoppers? I want to make sure I will have OTA support before upgrading.
3. Can I get the USB OTA tuner delivered with the hopper so I don't have to go without OTA support for a few days?
4. Cost to upgrade? Is it just a new two year contract?

No, you can't get the ota module at set up. I wish you could. I'm scheduled for an upgrade on Sat. According to the CSR, you can order only after your account has been flagged as a Hopper account.

Yes, dwarren2 is correct! The USB OTA module is an accessory for the Hopper and is only available to purchase when a Hopper is active on the account.

Just wanted to let the thread know that not all upgrades are rosy. Called and told rep that I wanted to upgrade my HD side of the house to the Hopper and KEEP my stand alone 311. Was told no problem. Tech arrives and tell me he has to pull the 311. Calls Dish to discuss and SV tells me it has to go. I tell them to get out.

Email CEO and do get a nice phone call from someone telling me why the 311 must go from a technical point of view. My view is them wanting to charge me an additional $7 a month for a joey (or a 211 to replace the 311). I do not want or need HD in that room and sure as hell am not going to pay $7 a month for it.

Email CEO again asking Dish why they want to lose over $2000 in revenue over the 2 year commitment period over this issue. I can go to DirectTV and save over $200 myself for this same time period and get what I want, 3 HDTVs and a stand alone SDTV.

Will be contacting DirectTV in a short while to order exactly what I want and not get railroaded into a solution and expense that I do not want or need.

I read in these forums about the outstanding Dish customer support. Well, $7 a month more is more important to them than a 6+ year customer and current $90 a month in revenue.

It should not be this hard.

Question about the PTA.
When using this feature, can you set it to always keep a certain show on the hard drive or do you have to go into it every week and tell it to save.
**EDIT** found the answer here. And it is good, the PTA will save a flagged show to the hard drive. Yay.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/298258-Hopper-Tuner-and-Prime-Time-question

Question about Joeys.
If you have a two Hopper system, can the Joeys see both hoppers all the time or can they only see the one they are linked to?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)