Hopper w Sling s/w U243 4/10/2018 breaks Trick-Play

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I got u243 on my HWS yesterday. As others have mentioned, I do not like the new tiles. It was better before with 6 tiles across instead of 5, and it was better with the program names under the tiles. Other than that, I did not have any problems. However, I just have a single HWS, and no Joeys. Also, I do not use Netflix or YouTube on my HWS (TV, Roku, or Firestick for that type of stuff). I have not tried my EHD yet.

The first thing I did with the new firmware was to set the nightly update time to 3AM. I am happy about that!

HWS is still slow with the new software.

Reactions: pattykay
Another annoyance with the lost names under the tiles... When on the "manage recordings" screen. As you select items, they are darkened and the checkmark is added. Without the names underneath is almost see or double check what items are selected.

Fair Oaks Mall FiOS Store has a DVR set up I can fiddle with. As soon as I get my car back from minor servicing, I’ll be going over there. I figure by 3:30 I’ll have a FiOS remote in hand.

Got to Verizon store 20 minutes later than expected. In a line to get the chance to fiddle with the equipment! And no one is using it. I wonder if this is just to buy or pay, not try out equipment.

People leaving registers all have black bags.

People ahead of me are swapping out bad equipment. Lady getting...

Reactions: charlesrshell
...some trouble from clerk over not having a tech out to look at it.

Sorry for the break. I got called. Guy spent like 40 minutes with me.

I don’t care for the EPG but I’m sure it will grow on me.

The remote, IR only, is just a tad slow. No biggie.

They have 2X 4X and 8X FF.

They have something like DA. Great.

Now for the biggie: 1TB HDD. And NO way to use an EHD. Their older boxes allowed for this, but it is not supported on the new Arris box. Verizon decision, not a h/w problem. Double ungood.

However, the price is $189.48, plus a one time $99 charge for the tech to show up and watch me screw in the coax. I’ll fish my own walls, thank you. They admit they don’t fish, they run along baseboards and string coax on the outside walls. Over my dead body.

The real winner here is although it’s a two year contract, I have a month to decide to keep it or return it.

As, they say, I have been a Verizon customer for 19.5 years, and currently have FiOS, I don’t get the free Netflix for a year.

So what happens after two years? He was vague. I know my Internet service sure went up with no choice.

Current router is fine, but they might have to replace the ONT with a newer model.

If Dish dropped support for EHDs, this would be a decision in a blink. And I’m not sure I can trust Dish on that.

Sad to go, but money doesn’t talk, it swears. I’ve simply lost too much utility in my current Dish setup. Although my wife pointed out that as long as the LR HWS stays on 242, we can easily watch stuff recorded on the MBR HWS. Too bad what we want to do is the other way around. Maybe I can swap Hoppers.

I’ll give Dish a week or so to halt this rollout, or reverse it, or fix it. FAT CHANCE OF THAT HAPPENING! More likely, something else will break.

I’ll have to talk this over with SWMBO. The plan would be to return the failing HWS, get FiOS, try for up to a month, and if we like it, drop to Welcome, drop protection plan, watch EHDs for a while. And adjust to only recording what we’ll watch in the near term.

And there’s alway’s Hauppage!

DARN! Forgot to ask about that red recording in progress light.

Going back to store.

...some trouble from clerk over not having a tech out to look at it.

Sorry for the break. I got called. Guy spent like 40 minutes with me.

I don’t care for the EPG but I’m sure it will grow on me.

The remote, IR only, is just a tad slow. No biggie.

They have 2X 4X and 8X FF.

They have something like DA. Great.

Now for the biggie: 1TB HDD. And NO way to use an EHD. Their older boxes allowed for this, but it is not supported on the new Arris box. Verizon decision, not a h/w problem. Double ungood.

However, the price is $189.48, plus a one time $99 charge for the tech to show up and watch me screw in the coax. I’ll fish my own walls, thank you. They admit they don’t fish, they run along baseboards and string coax on the outside walls. Over my dead body.

The real winner here is although it’s a two year contract, I have a month to decide to keep it or return it.

As, they say, I have been a Verizon customer for 19.5 years, and currently have FiOS, I don’t get the free Netflix for a year.

So what happens after two years? He was vague. I know my Internet service sure went up with no choice.

Current router is fine, but they might have to replace the ONT with a newer model.

If Dish dropped support for EHDs, this would be a decision in a blink. And I’m not sure I can trust Dish on that.

Sad to go, but money doesn’t talk, it swears. I’ve simply lost too much utility in my current Dish setup. Although my wife pointed out that as long as the LR HWS stays on 242, we can easily watch stuff recorded on the MBR HWS. Too bad what we want to do is the other way around. Maybe I can swap Hoppers.

I’ll give Dish a week or so to halt this rollout, or reverse it, or fix it. FAT CHANCE OF THAT HAPPENING! More likely, something else will break.

I’ll have to talk this over with SWMBO. The plan would be to return the failing HWS, get FiOS, try for up to a month, and if we like it, drop to Welcome, drop protection plan, watch EHDs for a while. And adjust to only recording what we’ll watch in the near term.

And there’s alway’s Hauppage!

DARN! Forgot to ask about that red recording in progress light.

Going back to store.
No red lite is a deal breaker!

Crab cakes and spiced shrimp! But she’ll be home before me?

Think it’s enough?

I got Corona Premium, hadn’t seen that before, but she probably has no interest in that.

Hmmm. I’ll have to investigate TiVo with FiOS. How would we feed the MBR TV? Is there a client? Or Two TiVos?

Last I dealt with TiVo, I didn’t like it. But if I can save $12-$24/month, I can certainly try.

Hmmm. I’ll have to investigate TiVo with FiOS. How would we feed the MBR TV? Is there a client? Or Two TiVos?

Last I dealt with TiVo, I didn’t like it. But if I can save $12-$24/month, I can certainly try.

Tivo has a Tivo Mini that works just like a Dish Joey. They are very fast, I see no difference between using my Tivo Roamio and using the Tivo Mini in the bedroom

I'm pretty sure Tivo works with FiOS as I've seen threads on TCF about it, you can look at the Tivo Community Forums to be sure.

I bought a Tivo Roamio 4 years ago to use with OTA in place of the DTVPal. I made the switch to Cox with the Roamio and 2 Minis 2 years ago, when they offered me 100/10 internet and advanced basic tv (equivalent to AT200) for $109 a month total all in. It went up to $119 the second yr and Cox just renewed me for another 2 years at that $120 price. I gave my dad a Tivo and he fell in love with it and made the same switch to Cox as did my step-sister. We also have the same setup at our Condo in Vegas.

Some features
Tivo has skipmode (like Dish autohop) that works within about 2-3 mins of a show ending (unlike autohop) on broadcast networks and about 20 cable channels. If you are using the new Hydra interface, you can set up autoskip via IFTTT, it's not available on the legacy GEN3 interface. You can also trigger skip via Alexa or Google with IFTTT triggers.

On the Roamio's you can just pop the cover and drop in a standard 3TB hard drive to increase storage space. You can go up to 8TB if you connect the drive to a computer and preset it up with some online tools. The Tivo Bolt uses the smaller laptop drives and is user replaceable too, but only certain drives are working for the upgrade.

You can use PyTivo Desktop or KMTTG to easily move recordings off the dvr to a computer for storage as long as the copy once flag isn't set by your tv provider. Mine isn't :) You can also pull the video back to the Tivo if on GEN3 interface, with the Hydra GEN4 you have to use Plex

You can stream out of home via the Tivo app or Tivo Online on a computer. The Tivo Bolts have streaming to the tablets and phones built in , the Roamios require a Tivo Stream. I just use a slingbox and stream via the sling app.

A new Tivo is going to setup with the new Hydra GEN4 interface, but one can go back to the legacy GEN3 interface, it just wipes the box, so you want to do it before you get a lot of recordings, unless you have pulled them off to a computer with pytivo or kmttg.

I know the Roamios have a recording light, as I'm looking at it right now recording. The Bolts I'm not sure anymore. My stepsister we swapped her Bolt for a Roamio OTA with lifetime and I moved the cable card bracket from the Bolt to the Roamio to save her on the cost of adding lifetime service to the Bolt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)