Hopper w Sling s/w U243 4/10/2018 breaks Trick-Play

Getting close to that. After taxes etc the eventual savings will be $45 or so a month.

But losing those EHD recordings is getting tough. Anyone here use a Hauppage to record Dish stuff to disc? I have plenty of DVD blanks, and a few BD blanks. I don’t mind recording, watching later, and tossing.

But recording in real time means a year of recording!

Getting close to that. After taxes etc the eventual savings will be $45 or so a month.

But losing those EHD recordings is getting tough. Anyone here use a Hauppage to record Dish stuff to disc? I have plenty of DVD blanks, and a few BD blanks. I don’t mind recording, watching later, and tossing.

But recording in real time means a year of recording!

I haven’t t done it in 2 yrs, since the move to TiVo. It worked well as long as I used the arcsoft software that came with my hauppauge and recorded as h264 ts files. I then would encode them to mp4 and now I would probably just edit with videoredo and mux them into an mkv container instead on encoding to mp4.

Also I started having a problem with the hauppauge when I wiped the laptop I used with it. I lost the software when I moved and someone here was nice enough to send it to me, but I haven’t had time or a need to go back to it, as I now use pytivo to archive things I want to save.

If what you have archived on the EHD is something repeated, you could always re-record it to the Cable Dvr or Tivo. I had a couple of my nephews football games from FSN on my 722 that I took the time to move with the hauppauge as those would likely not be available anywhere.

Sounds like a lot of trouble.

Horseshoes, hand grenades and nuclear bombs. And now, depth charges (I think even the Russians have abandoned them).

Look around your soon to become useless EHDs and you'll probably find some depth charging.

The Russians have abandoned everything but poison.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Sounds like a lot of trouble.

Horseshoes, hand grenades and nuclear bombs. And now, depth charges (I think even the Russians have abandoned them).
Amazon has the one I use for less than $120

Amazon product ASIN B00GEBVEI6
But I'm not sure how effective it would be recording from HDMI, as I only use mine to record component and leave the HDMI connected to the TV. There may also be HDCP issues recording HMDI from the Hopper.

Amazon has the one I use for less than $120

Amazon product ASIN B00GEBVEI6
But I'm not sure how effective it would be recording from HDMI, as I only use mine to record component and leave the HDMI connected to the TV. There may also be HDCP issues recording HMDI from the Hopper.

I used component for a while which worked great, but I also got an hdmi splitter for another purpose and tried it with the 722 and that allowed the hauppauge to record from the 722 hdmi output ignoring any hdcp conditions.

Reactions: ekilgus and dare2be
I bought an HDMI to component converter (with TOSLINK audio output) and use that to offload HD material thru my Hauppauge, works great, but still not as easy as TiVo that can automatically dump selected programming directly to my computer hard drive.

Yeah, TiVo would be easier but then I'd have to suffer with cable.

Depends on the cable system. It varies so much from city to city. I had Cox and Dish side by side for a month before I made the move. Running the Tivo on Cox and the Dish 722 both to my AVR and switching back and forth, Cox actually had the better picture. I would have a hard time giving up my Tivo's now and going back to Dish, even for the 16 tuners on the H3. Tivo skip mode, archiving with pytivo and the bundle savings are hard to give up.

I was surprised how much Cox improved here as we are one of their rebuild and test areas. We also have Cox in Las Vegas and other than they still use crappy SA tuning adapters in Vegas instead of the new Motorola TA here in Tulsa, it is very good out there too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts