Hopper - will 3 tuners be enough?

Are 3 tuners enough for Dish Customers (not you personally)

• 95% of Dish customers don't need more than 3 tuners and 5% want more tuners

Votes: 87 35.8%
  • 60% don't need 3 tuners, 30% need more but are dumb and happy, and 10% want more tuners

Votes: 48 19.8%
  • At least 50% of Dish customers are not going to be happy with only 3 tuners

Votes: 51 21.0%
  • 3 tuners won't cut it for most customers

Votes: 57 23.5%

• Total voters
I wonder why they could not make some Joey's with tuners in them.
to cut down on expensive parts and centralize their costs in one box that fits the need of most customers.

Imagine how many receivers they can take out of their system and will no longer have to support, ship, refurbish, and install.

Instead many of those receivers can be replaced by very basic dumb boxes like the Joey that should in theory have very little troubleshooting or long term support. Plus the Joeys only require RG59 which drops the cabling requirements down even further.

IMO, this whole scheme should cut down hardware and install costs for Dish in the long term by a large amount.

I just don't understand why only 3 tuners?,why not 6 tuners?,If DISH would have brought out a 6 tuners HDDVR that is RVU compliant with a MT2 OTA Module box,I don't think we would be having all these discussions.:)

I'm sure DISH knew what DirecTV was coming out with:spy: with the HR34 and it's 5 tuners?.It just makes the Hopper look like a product that is a day late,and a dollar short.:confused:

I don't need a product to be able to access TV in every room,but I do like a product that has plenty of options for access and recording.;)
If DISH overprices this unit there will be no problems,they will just lose more subscribers to DirecTV.:tsk::doh:

It is really simple, for the a majority of subscribers, the 3-tuner solution is all they will need or want. You cannot read here and expect to see what the average subscriber wants, because they aren't the ones posting here.

And there is absolutely nothing a day late and a dollar short about the Hopper/Joey design. It seems to me that the idea with it is to get to a point where a single Hopper is the minimum receiver for all installs and work up from there. That is what makes the most sense from any way you want to look at it.

And yes, for the power users that need tons of tuners available, it may not be a good solution, but frankly Dish's strength never was for those with huge tuner needs/wants. But I would say that those with 3 Dish DVRs now would most likely find a couple of Hoppers and a Joey or two would be more than good enough.

But solely IMO, if you pick the service because of the equipment and GUI, then you're looking at the wrong thing. I first look to programming and HD, THEN I look at the other stuff to see if it fits and I can get along with it. And that is because I spend a hell of a lot more time watching the shows than I do the equipment or the GUI.

The Hopper and Joey would work for me perfectly. I'm out of contract and very interested. I wonder if they would mail the system instead of sending out one of there contractors who probably has no clue about it anyway. I'm sorry if anyone out there is a contracter I've just have had bad experiences. The last time I had one out was for the mover program and I ended up doing most the install anyway and used my RG6 cable as well.

They wont let you upgrade and put it in yourself. Now if you buy the equipment from a some kind of retailer you could do it, of course that would be very expensive.

Since so many people need more than three tuners per the survey, how ware they coping now?

I can see mutiple DVRs but then you have to move around to see the recordings.
That is what we do, although some times we end up having duplicate timers because neither wanted to go to the other's rooms to watch ...
dual hopper & 5 joeys would cover every room in the house, pause/resume, and one set of timers without duplicates.

Currently ... 2x722k 1x211k and I have the MT2 in one of the 722k's.

5 sat, 3 OTA (2 in use), 3 Adults in the house.

Back when there was TV to watch, I personally needed three tuners to record what I wanted to watch on some nights. Only one of the recordings was Big Four.

Now that linear TV is crap, maybe less tuners are needed but I kinda doubt it.

I'm heeding the survey admonition that we are to be thinking about all DISH subscribers, not just our personal needs.

Back when there was TV to watch, I personally needed three tuners to record what I wanted to watch on some nights. Only one of the recordings was Big Four.

Now that linear TV is crap, maybe less tuners are needed but I kinda doubt it.

I'm heeding the survey admonition that we are to be thinking about all DISH subscribers, not just our personal needs.

I totally agree,the reason I wish DISH would have given the Hopper more than 3 tuners is the way DISH has been pricing their extra receiver fees I'm afraid those who need more tuners than 3 won't be able to afford the extra receivers fees.Right now with my 722k/w MT2 I don't pay a second receiver fee(and I have 4 tuners,2 SAT+2OTA) so if DISH charges for the second Hopper,I will have to wait until DISH comes out with the Hopper II before I can get a Hopper I if at all.:(

I have to believe that DISH thought we did not want or need more tuners, satellite or over the air because the Hopper has PTAT.:confused:

I have to believe that DISH thought we did not want or need more tuners, satellite or over the air because the Hopper has PTAT.:confused:
Who is "we"?

Dish believes those people would just get an extra hopper and pay a little more for having that luxury that most customers don't need. Those extra tuners cost money that the majority of their customer base isn't going to want to pay for.

Also, remember, IF Dish provides support for a 2-tuner OTA module, then the Hopper will have 1 more tuner than a 722k, which will keep the majority of single receiver users happy.

They wont let you upgrade and put it in yourself. Now if you buy the equipment from a some kind of retailer you could do it, of course that would be very expensive.

If they do not allow self-installs we will never have a HOPPER/JOEY. We have a 112 year old house, fully restored. We do not allow any tech to drill through brick or walls and I do all installs, adds, moves and changes.

It it ain't available for purchase/self-install, it ain't gonna happen - PERIOD - NO DISCUSSION!

If they do not allow self-installs we will never have a HOPPER/JOEY. We have a 112 year old house, fully restored. We do not allow any tech to drill through brick or walls and I do all installs, adds, moves and changes.

It it ain't available for purchase/self-install, it ain't gonna happen - PERIOD - NO DISCUSSION!

Simple. Go thru a local retailer. And/or - run all the lines before he gets there, so all he does is plug it in.

Also, remember, IF Dish provides support for a 2-tuner OTA module, then the Hopper will have 1 more tuner than a 722k, which will keep the majority of single receiver users happy.

That would help a little,I'm just glad I still have a little under a year in my commitment,by then we will see how things work out.

To answer a previous question "we" are my family as "we" make decisions together.;)

I totally agree,the reason I wish DISH would have given the Hopper more than 3 tuners is the way DISH has been pricing their extra receiver fees I'm afraid those who need more tuners than 3 won't be able to afford the extra receivers fees.Right now with my 722k/w MT2 I don't pay a second receiver fee(and I have 4 tuners,2 SAT+2OTA) so if DISH charges for the second Hopper,I will have to wait until DISH comes out with the Hopper II before I can get a Hopper I if at all.:(

The point that you and the other members of your chorus don't get is that Dish is perfectly capable of charging twice as much for a receiver with 5 or 6 tuners as they do for a receiver with 3 tuners. What makes you think that the fees for a box with twice as many tuners should cost the same to rent or buy as one with half its capacity? No company in their right mind would shortchange themselves in that manner.

Your entire argument is that the hardware design is bad because Dish will charge more for 6 tuners packaged in 2 boxes than they will for 6 tuners packaged in one box. All based on assumptions of what Dish will charge, how many Hoppers will be available to existing customers, etc., when the suggestion from Scott and others presumably in the know is that we will be pleased with Dish's pricing and availability.

All this despite:
1. The concensus on this site, which includes a large number of installers, that the majority of users don't need more than 3 tuners;
2. Dish would be wasting money on every receiver they distribute with tuners that don't get used;
3. The Hopper solution meets the needs of both low-end and high-end users with one design
4. Minimizing the numbers of hardware designs they have to support saves Dish money, which lowers costs overall.

Dish is going to charge what they think they can as a balance between competitive pricing to attract customers and sufficient revenue to cover design, manufacture, and other operating expenses. If you think they charge too much, switch to a different provider.

Once Dish announces actual pricing and availability, then you can start bitching and moaning if it doesn't meet your needs or it's more than you want to pay. Until then, as my ex the attorney used to say, you're assuming facts not in evidence.

The point that you and the other members of your chorus don't get is that Dish is perfectly capable of charging twice as much for a receiver with 5 or 6 tuners as they do for a receiver with 3 tuners. What makes you think that the fees for a box with twice as many tuners should cost the same to rent or buy as one with half its capacity?

Because the other company does all receivers have the same price .
the way I look at it if the company can give customers more for the same amount it might mean more customer for them not losing them like the last year and i doubt the other tuner board would add that much for a large production run

No need to get so upset. I just know that Dish does not allow a customer to self install when signing up under a promotion. If a customer were to purchase all the equipment then they can install it themselves. It would cost you about $600 but if that's what you like to do then more power to you.

Like it was mentioned just before, if you go to an idependent retailer they may let you sign up under a promotion and install it yourself. Generally we do not let our customers do so. The customer has to pay us the tech. visit regardless so we still do it even if they want to. Now if a customer wants to run all the cables themselves we have no problem with that.

No need to get so upset.

Already stated we run all of the cables ourselves. We have red-brown water struck finish brick which is no longer available. It was manufactured in 1894 and is no longer manufactured because the manufacturing process causes more than 90% product failure out of the kiln. That's the nature of the brick, but it has an incredible matte surface which looks like it was glazed. It also has tiny pin holes in the surface of the brick. In fact it is not glazed. The glazing look comes when the brick is struck with a sheet of water, while hot, as it is pulled from the kiln. It also instantly shrinks the size of the brick by close to 30%. That is why it results in a 90% failure in the manufacturer process and why it is not manufactured today - it would be prohibitive in cost to do so.

The last time an installer "installed" something on our house they cause more than $5,400 in damage to brick. We had to wait for a house with matching brick to be torn down and purchase the brick from the demolition company to repair the 6 holes a telephone man made in the outside brick because I was not home at the time of the install. The installer also caused close to $2,500 in interior wall damage by drilling through from the outside.

When Dish came to install at my Dad's place they refused to do the install as he and I wanted it done so I cancelled the install and we did it ourselves. This nonsense of running cable on the outside of houses, whether old or new, is crap. It looks like crap and, when not properly secured, it weathers like crap.

I own my own Satellite Buddy meter. Once the equipment becomes available I will purchase from eBay or Claude and self-install.

Dish installers in Chicago choose to ignore homeowners, tie cables to the undersides of gutters, leave them hanging off the outside of brick walls where wind and ice can pull them off the building, and drill holes in outside walls to get the cable where they want it to be as quickly as possible. National electrical code requires either GREEN JACKETED or BARE COPPER wire for the ground. I frequently see non-grounded ground blocks hanging in mid-air or attached to buildings and used as a cable joiner.

The sloppy work which perpetuates in Chicago is why one alderman introduced an ordinance last week requiring all new satellite installs to be done on the SIDES and BACKS of buildings whenever possible. The ordinance will not prohibit installs, but it will prefer they NOT be done on the front of any building where the sloppy cable can be seen from the street. It will also require the REMOVAL of all dishes AND the CABLE which connects to them when a contract terminates.

It may actually be legal under OTARD - depending on how the final version is written.

Put some pride in your work, installers! Install via inside cable routes as much as possible, ask the homeowner where he wants the cable to enter the building, and do the job like the homeowner wants it done.

Having been trained by the original Bell System, in the early 70s, to pull cable as part of telephone installations, I don't need a Dish installer to do something I can both do myself, especially when I can do a much better job than, most of the Dish installs I have seen in the Chicago area.

I repeat my earlier statement, I will NEVER allow Dish, or any other company, to do any kind of satellite, telephone, or other low voltage wiring so long as I am alive and own my property.

Already stated we run all of the cables ourselves. We have red-brown water struck finish brick which is no longer available. It was manufactured in 1894 and is no longer manufactured because the manufacturing process causes more than 90% product failure out of the kiln. That's the nature of the brick, but it has an incredible matte surface which looks like it was glazed. It also has tiny pin holes in the surface of the brick. In fact it is not glazed. The glazing look comes when the brick is struck with a sheet of water, while hot, as it is pulled from the kiln. It also instantly shrinks the size of the brick by close to 30%. That is why it results in a 90% failure in the manufacturer process and why it is not manufactured today - it would be prohibitive in cost to do so.

The last time an installer "installed" something on our house they cause more than $5,400 in damage to brick. We had to wait for a house with matching brick to be torn down and purchase the brick from the demolition company to repair the 6 holes a telephone man made in the outside brick because I was not home at the time of the install. The installer also caused close to $2,500 in interior wall damage by drilling through from the outside.

When Dish came to install at my Dad's place they refused to do the install as he and I wanted it done so I cancelled the install and we did it ourselves. This nonsense of running cable on the outside of houses, whether old or new, is crap. It looks like crap and, when not properly secured, it weathers like crap.

I own my own Satellite Buddy meter. Once the equipment becomes available I will purchase from eBay or Claude and self-install.

Dish installers in Chicago choose to ignore homeowners, tie cables to the undersides of gutters, leave them hanging off the outside of brick walls where wind and ice can pull them off the building, and drill holes in outside walls to get the cable where they want it to be as quickly as possible. National electrical code requires either GREEN JACKETED or BARE COPPER wire for the ground. I frequently see non-grounded ground blocks hanging in mid-air or attached to buildings and used as a cable joiner.

The sloppy work which perpetuates in Chicago is why one alderman introduced an ordinance last week requiring all new satellite installs to be done on the SIDES and BACKS of buildings whenever possible. The ordinance will not prohibit installs, but it will prefer they NOT be done on the front of any building where the sloppy cable can be seen from the street. It will also require the REMOVAL of all dishes AND the CABLE which connects to them when a contract terminates.

It may actually be legal under OTARD - depending on how the final version is written.

Put some pride in your work, installers! Install via inside cable routes as much as possible, ask the homeowner where he wants the cable to enter the building, and do the job like the homeowner wants it done.

Having been trained by the original Bell System, in the early 70s, to pull cable as part of telephone installations, I don't need a Dish installer to do something I can both do myself, especially when I can do a much better job than, most of the Dish installs I have seen in the Chicago area.

I repeat my earlier statement, I will NEVER allow Dish, or any other company, to do any kind of satellite, telephone, or other low voltage wiring so long as I am alive and own my property.

Wow. This is nearly a legal brief. Are you a lawyer?;)

Last edited:
I'm glad he's not my customer. I understand the situation with the house but it sounds like a nightmare install for a Dish tech. I have no problem with the customer wanting to install their own equipment just as long as the purchase it. If they want to do it under a promotion then we do it ourselves since we are resonible for it and we need to make sure we get paid by Dish.

Some people have special homes and they want them treated as such. Obviously only the owner has the right to feel that way but it can be tough for an installer to handle that situation, especially one from Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)