Hopper with Sling / DishOnline won't work outside the network

AdamTheLawyer

Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
Atlanta, GA
I just got a Sling adapter for my Hopper, and I can play the video inside my home network on iPad, Android or the dishonline website.

When I try to access it from outside the network, however (i.e. at work), it refuses to connect. DishOnline gives me the following error message:
Your device isn't correctly registering with our service. Wait five minutes, then try again.
If this recurs, reboot your device or router if you can. Then try again. (Error 6)

I'm a former software engineer and all-around nerd, so I've tried the obvious problems.

I set the Hopper to have a permanently-assigned local IP address and searched online to find out which ports I needed to direct to the hopper. Currently, I have 5101, 5102, 49200, and 5678 all set to send to the Hopper.

When that didn't help, I set the Hopper up as the DMZ machine on my network (so it would receive all inbound traffic that wasn't explicitly assigned to go elsewhere) ... still no help.

I restarted everything. The connectivity test at dishconnectivity.sling.com says that my home network is connected and ready.

I can see the contents of my DVR from outside just fine ... I just can't play the video. Doesn't work from outside on iPad / Android, either.

Any suggestions?

-Adam

Yet another irritation with Dish and the Hopper. I am beginning to wish I would have stayed with Direct when I moved. Now I am locked into a two year contract beta testing their Hopper and bought a Sling adapter I can't use with no ETA of when they are going to fix this. I am "Hopping" mad now....

Yet another irritation with Dish and the Hopper. I am beginning to wish I would have stayed with Direct when I moved. Now I am locked into a two year contract beta testing their Hopper and bought a Sling adapter I can't use with no ETA of when they are going to fix this. I am "Hopping" mad now....

Hmmm. Yet another irritation. What other "irritations" have you had? Have not seen your name around here much. I would remember a like yours. So why did you leave Direct??? How long were you with them?? Must have been a crappy experience over there to dump them, join up with Dish in the first stages of a new system, include Sling, have no idea about OTA and the Hopper....Need I go on. Sounds like some one jumped ship with out doing their home work. Early Hopper adopter here, Sling user, and happy with it. Had issues with Sling, but ended up being an issue on my end. My Hoppers and Joeys as well as many others, are doing great. I hope your two years go fast!!!!!

Interesting that your sling works when no one else's does and this is the response we get from DIRT on Dish board. Seems we won't be getting any more responses from them because they don't know what is wrong and are waiting for someone to fix it and are tired of answering questions about it.

by Mary B. » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:38 pm

We will not being getting any updates. As soon the problem is found they will send an update to resolve the issue. I do understand the frustration this is causing and they are trying to resolve it ASAP. Thank you!
Mary Catherine Brady
DISH Internet Response Team
Tuesday-Saturday 2:45pm-11:15pm (MST)
Mary B.

Not sure what all your issues are, but Sling is not completely dead. Mine works pretty good these days.. But until I got the HIC it never worked.. Never could get it to work by just plugging the ethernet cable into the receiver itself.. But after I got the HIC it works as long as there is an available tuner..

cobraman said:
Interesting that your sling works when no one else's does and this is the response we get from DIRT on Dish board. Seems we won't be getting any more responses from them because they don't know what is wrong and are waiting for someone to fix it and are tired of answering questions about it.

by Mary B. » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:38 pm

We will not being getting any updates. As soon the problem is found they will send an update to resolve the issue. I do understand the frustration this is causing and they are trying to resolve it ASAP. Thank you!
Mary Catherine Brady
DISH Internet Response Team
Tuesday-Saturday 2:45pm-11:15pm (MST)
Mary B.

I really doubt that I am the only one that has Sling working.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

FYI, an update from the Dish Support Forum.
Re: Invalid FinderID and Error 6 - Sling
by Raymond G. » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:49 pm

Just wanted to update everyone. We have made progress with this issue and are hoping to have a resolution out soon. I appreciate your patience and understand that this has been a frustrating issue.
Raymond Gonzales
Social Media Representative
DISH
Sunday-Thursday
2:45pm-11:15pm
Raymond G.

I really doubt that I am the only one that has Sling working.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

You are not the only one. Mine works just fine. Just started a show on my iPhone while at work in case this was something that just started happening.

I am having the same issue that is mentioned earlier in this post but I don't see the fix listed here. I just plugged in this adapter yesterday and have no problems from the house within my own network but I can't get anything away from home. Do I have to call Dish to have something turned on to allow remote viewing? I don't see that within the instruction manual.

I have two slings (1 per Hopper) and mine work pretty good. On the times that I have had problems, usually it was a bandwidth issue.

I have posted in a couple places regarding a sling problem and a temporary workaround.

Where the sling connects to a unsubscribed channel.

Well it happened again last night, I test my slings at least twice a day to make sure they are working properly when I actually need them. My iPhone was just sitting connecting to nothing, so I pushed red button on remote and saw sling connected to (MGM-D channel). It said the tuner was on the movie "Annie Hall". Before I've tried to find this unsubscribed channel, but locked up my TV in the search. This time I did a search for "Annie Hall" , I found one hit .....it said the only place for Annie Hall was to a (On Demand channel #1977) .... Don't know if this information will help Dish find problem, but I had to relay the info.

The workaround to make your sling work again. When your Sling is stuck on this unsubscribed channel.... You are helpless and my iPhone, tablet, and PC cannot use that sling.

1. Busy all your tuners. ( turn on Joeys, turn on PIP, or setup recordings) whatever it takes to busy all tuners.

2. Connect with you device (iPhone, tablet, whatever) .... You should get the "all tuners busy" message. (Great ...just stay there...don't do anything with device.

3. Release a tuner on you Hopper ( drop PIP, turn off Joey, whatever)

4. When device was connecting and received "all tuners busy" message , your display will get the sling menu up. It is where you change channels, and do the DVR commands.

5. Hit the "LIVE" button and connect back to Hopper. You will connect back to the available tuner and the unsubscribed channel, but thus time you have menu up to change the channel.

6. Change channel to a valid one and watch TV on your device via Sling. The
Sling should work and you can connect the normal way.

7. I have noticed that the problem goes away for about a week to 10 days and comes back. I have two slings and have noticed that the problem will be clear on one and it usually comes back around to the other one.

Good Luck and hopefully this helps till they get the fix !!!!

I have been having issues with sling recently.... worked fine the first few days I had dish installed but haven't been able to get it to run reliably the past few nights.

Loads about 95% on the ipad and then gives the video data unavailable error and also get error 44 when trying to view at dishonline.com. Have to imagine this will be addressed with software updates but is a painful experience atm.

I have been having issues with sling recently.... worked fine the first few days I had dish installed but haven't been able to get it to run reliably the past few nights.

Loads about 95% on the ipad and then gives the video data unavailable error and also get error 44 when trying to view at dishonline.com. Have to imagine this will be addressed with software updates but is a painful experience atm.

I too have found my Sling to be very unreliable on the Hopper and have frankly just about given up on it, at least until I read about some major software update here that is known to address lots of Sling bugs.

I've posted elsewhere about my issues and tried every kind of reset, but lets just say Sling is not worth my bother right now.

I too have found my Sling to be very unreliable on the Hopper and have frankly just about given up on it, at least until I read about some major software update here that is known to address lots of Sling bugs.

I hope this is true, Sling has slowly deteriorated since the 222 software. Unreliable connections, erroneous message of all tuners being busy, random program loads, "no video" message, "unknown kbps", mysterious guide information, out of local area channels on the guide, quadruple duplicates in the guide. I keep hearing they're looking into it....Everyone knows Sling has never been perfect, but as of late it's been tiring to use. :coffee

Last edited:
I pretty much stopped using mine a long long time ago, when DishOnline came online. IMHO Dish should bring back the standalone SlingPlayer and be done with it. The online guide is nice, but reliable operation is more important than the guide. Better yet, get the guide from the receiver.

Anybody else notice a different setup on the Dish Online viewing page? On the screen the virtual remote has returned... the KBPS has moved to the left....noticeably less crowded control panel......things seems to be changing, hopefully for the better. :popcorn

Still use Dish RA. Dish Online has never worked right for me. Only problem I have and it's on both systems is getting the timers to show. If you add a timer they will all appear.

The control bar has changed....sometimes, other times the usual bar and controls appear....when clicking on the remote icon the old virtual remote appears in this version....:eek:

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    164.6 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)