Hopper With Sling, Optical Audio Cutting Out

Yes the problem is with the optical output on the HWS. Using the HDMI audio or the analog audio does not seem to be a problem. Using analog would result in 2.0 sound only. Some have used HDMI direct to TV and then optical out of TV to receiver. If your only option is optical this upgrade may not be for you until they fix it.

Does anyone know of a good HDMI digital audio extractor or HDMI switch with optical output that will pass through the 5.1 digital audio from the Hopper to optical or coaxial? I see tons of models on Amazon and Ebay, and most of the reviewers complain that none really pass through the "true" 5.1 surround.

It's kind of odd that some Hopper users are not having these optical cut out issues. There is a device out there that will convert HDMI audio to optical audio and works quite well, but I can't remember where I read it. I believe it's cost was around $50. I also don't think it's right that us with this problem should have to purchase this. This problem must have really have Dish's Techs stumped or it would of been fixed many months ago. The solution I am using now is using the tuner output of my TV, but now I am limited to 2 channel audio. If there is something on that I want to listen to in 5.1, I will change my AV Receiver to Optical Input and fiddle with the Dish Remote til I get sound. Another odd thing about this issue is some unhappy customers are getting some kind of discount and others are not. I guess it depends on how loud you SCREAM at customer service or Tech Support.

It's kind of odd that some Hopper users are not having these optical cut out issues. There is a device out there that will convert HDMI audio to optical audio and works quite well, but I can't remember where I read it. I believe it's cost was around $50. I also don't think it's right that us with this problem should have to purchase this. This problem must have really have Dish's Techs stumped or it would of been fixed many months ago. The solution I am using now is using the tuner output of my TV, but now I am limited to 2 channel audio. If there is something on that I want to listen to in 5.1, I will change my AV Receiver to Optical Input and fiddle with the Dish Remote til I get sound. Another odd thing about this issue is some unhappy customers are getting some kind of discount and others are not. I guess it depends on how loud you SCREAM at customer service or Tech Support.

I just bought this for $34.99. It gets strong reviews on Amazon. I'll let you guys know how it works after I connect it to my HWS.

Happy to report that the device I purchased to extract Optical audio from HDMI (see link above) works perfectly so far. No drop-out's at all, and 5.1 surround sound works perfectly. Might be a cheap solution for some.

I would definitely have Dish reimburse you for the converter. You just proved that the sound dropouts are Dish's fault, and not the fault of your AVR.

I already have the same converter, but it cost me $1200 because it is built into my HDTV. :)

I would definitely have Dish reimburse you for the converter. You just proved that the sound dropouts are Dish's fault, and not the fault of your AVR.

I already have the same converter, but it cost me $1200 because it is built into my HDTV. :)

Ah, the converter was $1200, the rest of the materials were free.... :rolleyes:

My TV used to convert HDMI audio to coaxial audio, but then just stopped one day. TV ports seem to be finicky like that.

comfortably_numb, is there any sound delay on the optical output with your converter? I'm upgrading (?) to two HWS's from two regular Hoppers on Friday. One won't be an issue, but the other could be. I don't know what would annoy me more - no sound or delayed sound!
Brad

comfortably_numb, is there any sound delay on the optical output with your converter? I'm upgrading (?) to two HWS's from two regular Hoppers on Friday. One won't be an issue, but the other could be. I don't know what would annoy me more - no sound or delayed sound!
Brad

I haven't noticed any delay using the converter. Seems to be working good so far. I have the converter set to "pass" so it just sends through the digital from the HDMI. I haven't tried the other two switch settings to see what they do.

Good song quote, by the way.

I haven't noticed any delay using the converter. Seems to be working good so far. I have the converter set to "pass" so it just sends through the digital from the HDMI. I haven't tried the other two switch settings to see what they do. Good song quote, by the way.

The only recordings I have had trouble playing are movies from channels like Epix and the like. Have you tried playing from movie only channels like HBO or BB@H?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

No the only time DISH won't let me watch connected through my HDMI switch is when I'm tuned to one of those channels or watching a DVR that was recorded from one of those channels. It is a pain to disconnect my whole setup and connect straight to TV just to watch one movie. I do it if I want to watch one of those events though.

No the only time DISH won't let me watch connected through my HDMI switch is when I'm tuned to one of those channels or watching a DVR that was recorded from one of those channels. It is a pain to disconnect my whole setup and connect straight to TV just to watch one movie. I do it if I want to watch one of those events though.

I've never had any trouble watching anything through HDMI, or extracting the optical audio from HDMI with the device I bought. Sounds like maybe you have two different issues.

I had the optical issue on my bedroom setup when I first got HWS. Had 1st gen Hopper for 8 months or so before that with no optical issues whatsoever. When I first hooked up HWS immediately started getting audio dropouts that would occur when changing channels or skipping forward or back. Never dropped out unless a channel change or skip ahead or back. Did some research to find that many with HWS were having the same problem with HWS using non HDMI receiver and sending audio from HWS to AVR using optical output. So I saw a suggestion to use HDMI switcher, which I happened to have one in the closet from a previous setup in my family room so I hooked it up in the bedroom and voila it works like a charm. No audio dropouts since I put it in my bedroom system. However after using it for a short time I tried to watch a movie from BB@H that I had recorded and the HWS told me that I could not play because of my connection. Took the switch out of the loop and go direct to TV with HDMI and the movie plays fine except if I rewind or FF my audio drops out. Another rewind or 2 will bring it back. When I finished the movie I put the switch back in the setup and everything was fine until I tried to watch another of the BB@H movies and I get the same message saying my connection does not allow it to play. It seems to only be on the movie subscription channels like Epix. What you have might be a solution for me. Assuming Dish isn't going to fix this that is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)