Hopper With Sling Software Version S334

What are the changes in this release? I missed the popup screen that listed what was fixed.

Not much from what it looks like. My message was that the info screen was updated and an enhancement to the closed captioning. Also think they may have fixed a problem some had with EHD issues, but they obviously will never let on to things that were broke and fixed. ;)

To me this seems like a cosmetic update for the most part. But again I don't think Dish engineers and marketing thinks things through. In this example I see they did put back the Saved icon which is nice. But it is in the info screen so why do we have to click info for each recording to see this?

Not on main program list but on the info screen:
334 Recordings 1.jpg 334 Recordings 2.jpg

I do save the series for a few programs I like, but for specials or other shows that I may only want to see every once in a while I want to see the details quickly on one screen for a lot of items. It's a time saver. I know they can't put every icon on screen but the key ones a lot of us are complaining about. Saved, (protected can be optional) and the % watched. They don't need to have the large bar for that and could simply use a little bar graph or even a number (25%). Then for all the nitty gritty details you then have to go into the info view.

334 Recordings 1B.jpg

And if anyone thinks it can't be done like this, refer to the Dish page about half way down. At one time it was and from the looks of the current program tile layout the space is still there to do it.

http://www.mydish.com/support/your-hopper

They still have a long way to go.

But again I don't think Dish engineers and marketing thinks things through.

:yessign:

...But it is in the info screen so why do we have to click info for each recording to see this? ... I do save the series for a few programs I like, but for specials or other shows that I may only want to see every once in a while I want to see the details quickly on one screen for a lot of items. It's a time saver. I know they can't put every icon on screen but the key ones a lot of us are complaining about. Saved, (protected can be optional) and the % watched.

Agree 100%, Tron, but I'm beginning to think you, me, and a couple others on here are the only ones who care about the missing icons from the main DVR list. Clearly Dish doesn't, since this now the second or third "update" since the one that removed them. It seems like Dish's idea of progress nowadays is how many more levels deep and/or how many more remote button presses can we make subs go through to get to what they want. :tsk:

I'm still on 330 for both my Hws's . Is 334 a bad update?
Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

IMO, 334 wasn't really much of an update. But no, it wasn't bad. May have fixed an EHD issue and added a couple of new enhancements. At least for me nothing else broke but still a number of issues that were not resolved.

You don't. He was suggesting that Dish should do this.

Well, good news and bad news regarding Closed Captions. They fixed the Closed Caption OFF bug, so that when you go into turning off closed captions, it sets focus to OFF so you can simply select the OK button. Previously, you had to down arrow and then up arrow to set focus to OFF. HOWEVER, Closed Caption ON now requires two more button presses. After you select Yellow - 3 - OK, you then have to press right arrow - right arrow before pressing OK/Save and then Live.

Why does this matter? Because one of the most popular remotes, the Harmony only supports 5 sequences. Now I have to program multiple sequences like I did on the 722k. Why can't Dish simply add a discreet Closed Caption ON/OFF? :mad:

Well, good news and bad news regarding Closed Captions. They fixed the Closed Caption OFF bug, so that when you go into turning off closed captions, it sets focus to OFF so you can simply select the OK button. Previously, you had to down arrow and then up arrow to set focus to OFF. HOWEVER, Closed Caption ON now requires two more button presses. After you select Yellow - 3 - OK, you then have to press right arrow - right arrow before pressing OK/Save and then Live.

Why does this matter? Because one of the most popular remotes, the Harmony only supports 5 sequences. Now I have to program multiple sequences like I did on the 722k. Why can't Dish simply add a discreet Closed Caption ON/OFF? :mad:

Because Dish management still does not understand the benefits of 'simplification' and good user interface design. I'm sure their take on a lot of our complaining is that the end result is the same. You can still perform the task or do 'something' and it's only a couple seconds of time. Why waste time reinventing the wheel when we have new info screens and apps to make. <sarcasm>

Well, that's not good enough. We all know that these little things truly paint a much larger overall image of a person or company. Paying attention and sweating the small stuff shows that you really are aware of how you and/or your products are perceived AND that you want to make yourself or your products the best they can possibly be. Many times you can be viewed as lazy or just not caring if you don't keep picking apart your work and trying to improve. No matter how small the detail. Look at all the examples of companies who never rest. Constantly picking pepper out of fly poop so to speak. Worrying about the slightest imperfections and how to make their products easier/simpler/better for their customers.

Not saying Dish is lazy. I'm sure to them they do have a desire. But they just do not have a Steve Jobs-type of vision/leadership, customer understanding or make it THE top priority to truly have the best equipment, user experience, customer service and internal knowledge sharing as a whole. IMO, right now they are focused too much on market share and growth of the Hopper at any and all costs. The fly poop will still be full of pepper. ;)

<...and please get rid of those now annoying Hoppa' commercials! The radio ones are just too painful to listen to.>

Still waiting hope to get my update soon but will be patient and will wake up 1 morning and be shocked :eek: and will be there!!@party:clap:whoo::D:) :)

Tron - would love to know how many on this forum wholeheartedly agree with you - probably most of us! If Dish would just listen to the huge numbers of customers complaining about the lack of changeable update time & finally do something about it, it might go a long way to improve opinions of Dish overall. Just one thing would make a huge difference.

I agree, totally stupid to fix at one end and then screw up the other end.
A one or two button push should be programmed for Closed Caption.

Another reason to dislike the new info screen. Cursor focus is on the select action button resulting in starting an unwanted recording on the live broadcast more than once. Easy to stop and then delete from the DVR My Recordings screen but still annoying.

Another reason to dislike the new info screen. Cursor focus is on the select action button resulting in starting an unwanted recording on the live broadcast more than once. . . .
IIRC there was a "close" or "cancel" button on the old info screen that had the initial cursor focus. That should have remained.

Anyone notice that very large descriptions no longer fit into the info window? Used to be that if you pressed the info button on something with a long description, it would always fit in the full screen overlay. Now, with the recommendations at the bottom, some long descriptions are now truncated, and I can't find a way to see the entire description.
20140127181336sm.jpg

Still no updates here on neither my Hopper w/Sling still on S330 and Joey still on S358 and hope it comes Soon but here patiently while most people have had a couple updates I have had none and waiting and any ideas when I may get it? I can guess most answers will be Soon;) !!:whistle::)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)