Hopper3 rebooting

Chuck14

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
This morning when I turned my system on, my Hopper3 rebooted several times. It would turn on and work normally for a couple of minutes, then display a message on the screen: "Attention 1598 We detected a change in your network and need to reboot your set top box to restore service".
20210530_095233.jpg

When I click OK, it does reboot, acquires signal and then starts working normally again for a couple of minutes, but then does it all over again. I haven't seen this behavior before today, but my wife says it's been doing this every morning for "a while". She usually gets up earlier than I do. She says it usually does it about 4 or 5 times and then it's fine for the rest of the day. I haven't made any changes to my local network in quite a while, so I'm not sure what's it's complaining about or why a reboot would be required. Has anybody else run into this before?

This morning when I turned my system on, my Hopper3 rebooted several times. It would turn on and work normally for a couple of minutes, then display a message on the screen: "Attention 1598 We detected a change in your network and need to reboot your set top box to restore service".
View attachment 151977
When I click OK, it does reboot, acquires signal and then starts working normally again for a couple of minutes, but then does it all over again. I haven't seen this behavior before today, but my wife says it's been doing this every morning for "a while". She usually gets up earlier than I do. She says it usually does it about 4 or 5 times and then it's fine for the rest of the day. I haven't made any changes to my local network in quite a while, so I'm not sure what's it's complaining about or why a reboot would be required. Has anybody else run into this before?
Hello! Issues like these are frustrating. Has there been any changes to your internet network?

Does unplugging the Hopper from all power help?

Hello! Issues like these are frustrating. Has there been any changes to your internet network?

Does unplugging the Hopper from all power help?

Unplugging the Hopper did get it to stop rebooting this morning. I guess I'll have to wait and see if it repeats again tomorrow morning.

Can you provide any further explanation of the error message? There have been no changes to my local network or my Internet connection in many months. The very concept of a network change requiring a reboot (let alone many reboots) is pretty asinine to me. Imagine if your phone/tablet/laptop required a reboot any time it lost signal and got it back again, or changed from one WiFi network to another?!

Make sure nothing is plugged into the lower Ethernet port. That is for IP connections, like Dish Fiber, which uses LAN to connect to the Headend instead of Coax. If you need to use it, do a Network Reset in Internet Settings and then reboot

Reactions: charlesrshell
Make sure nothing is plugged into the lower Ethernet port. That is for IP connections, like Dish Fiber, which uses LAN to connect to the Headend instead of Coax. If you need to use it, do a Network Reset in Internet Settings and then reboot
First I've heard of that! I'm using the lower port for my local LAN. Nothing is connected to the upper port. I do not have the OP's issue and never have.

First I've heard of that! I'm using the lower port for my local LAN. Nothing is connected to the upper port. I do not have the OP's issue and never have.
When you use the lower port to connect via LAN to an Access Point, using IP to connect through a smart box instead of Coax to the Dish - the upper port won't detect the SMart Boxes (Headend) but the lower port will and needs to reboot so a check switch, instead of showing Satellites will show an IP Address

It did it again this morning. I am using the lower ethernet port to connect to my local LAN, but it has been this way for years and has never been a problem before. I don't understand the previous comment about smart boxes...

I don't understand the previous comment about smart boxes...
This is for Multiple Dwelling Unit (MDU) installations (or possibly large commercial installations) where they use internet to provide the channels to the receivers, rather than a satellite dish. If you are not living in such an apartment complex, then this should not apply to you. Being able to connect the receivers this way is a fairly recent development, which may explain why you never had a problem before. A recent software change could have messed something up. Did you try going to Menu > Settings > Internet, and reset your network there, to see if that helps? Also, HipKat's advice about trying the upper ethernet port is also a good idea.

Reactions: HipKat
I'm in a single-family home with my own dish, so no MDU setup.

Seems like one of the multiple reboots would have already reset the network, but Ok, I'll try it. I went into Menu -> Settings -> Internet and it was complaining that it had no network connection and the IP address shown was 169.254.x.x, which indicates it failed to get a DHCP address. I clicked the reset button and it thought about it for a couple of minutes, then came back and said the network was reset successfully, and it was then displaying a proper 192.168.x.x IP address for my local LAN. Then it immediately put up the 1598 error message and insisted on rebooting again. After waiting for it to reboot and acquire signal again, I went back to the Internet menu and it says it's connected to the Internet and is displaying the correct IP address, so maybe that fixed it. I still think the whole concept of having to reboot because you detected some change in network status/conditions is just asinine. I have been in the computer/networking business over 25 years and I have never seen a device behave this way. The act of rebooting is inherently going to change the state of the network, so where's the logic in this?!

I have been in the computer/networking business over 25 years and I have never seen a device behave this way. The act of rebooting is inherently going to change the state of the network, so where's the logic in this?!
I think it's asinine if you've never had to reboot after connecting a peripheral device. I mean I haven't been "in the business" but I've been buiiling, modifying, customizing, repairing and doing just about everything you can do with a computer and reboots after installing software or devices is pretty common.

In THIS case, as I explained, if the Hopper detects an IP address via LAN connection on the bottom port, it needs to reboot to change the check switch configuration from Satellite to IP. Now to me, that makes sense.

Just a note, I also think it's asinine that you didn't just plug your LAN connection into the top port...

I've had my ethernet cable plugged into the lower port for all the years I have had a Hopper 3. I have never had an issue with that.
I have it happen now if a WAP is plugged into the top port and I connect a nearby router to the bottom port on a regular install of a Hopper 3, I get that same message about detecting a change and needing a reboot

In THIS case, as I explained, if the Hopper detects an IP address via LAN connection on the bottom port, it needs to reboot to change the check switch configuration from Satellite to IP. Now to me, that makes sense.
In all fairness, a receiver would not normally be connected both ways at the same time (Satellite and IP) for regular programming. So in my opinion, the presence of a satellite signal should automatically disable that routine that causes the Hopper to reboot due to detecting the IP address. If someone wants the receiver connected both ways (if that can even be done in the first place, and actually work properly) then there should be a manual way to trigger the reboot and switch to IP through the Menu.

(I will note that there are dedicated streaming channels that work in conjunction with the satellite feeds, integrated into the same guide, but that is not what HipKat is describing. It sounds like IP is being used in this case as a replacement for the satellite feeds, not just to supplement them.)

Reactions: TheKrell and HipKat
as I explained, if the Hopper detects an IP address via LAN connection on the bottom port, it needs to reboot to change the check switch configuration from Satellite to IP. Now to me, that makes sense.
I don't understand that at all, nor do I see why it is necessary. I have IP's coming and going all the time on my LAN, and my H3 never reboots until it's usual time. My LAN is connected to the bottom port.

And what do you mean by "satellite"? A Joey? I have never heard of a "check switch configuration" either, other than the LNB/switch.

I don't understand that at all, nor do I see why it is necessary. I have IP's coming and going all the time on my LAN, and my H3 never reboots until it's usual time. My LAN is connected to the bottom port.

And what do you mean by "satellite"? A Joey? I have never heard of a "check switch configuration" either, other than the LNB/switch.
When you're connected to a Dish and you do a check switch (Diagnostics Page/Dish/Check Signal or whatever it says) it shows the Satellites you're pointing at and the signal strength on each Satellite/Tuner/Transponder.

When connected via IP and connected to an Access Point in lieu of a DIsh (The Dish is outside the property and provides signal to a commercial setup that includes video/OTA and Internet) that screen no longer shows signal strength and transponders. It shows each Satellite, only 1 tuner and an IP Address. There is no coax connected to the receiver at all, only a LAN cable to the Access Point which is connected to a Cable Modem. The Modem is connected via Coax going back to the smart boxes at the dish and carries the Sat signal and Internet to each unit.

Since the moment D¡SH boxes were connected to a LAN, I have had all kinds of wildness. The DVRs would constantly be grabbing a different IP Addresses stepping on devices that already had the address. Then that other device bumped another and the dominoes fell. So much so that the network would get really slow until I unplugged the DVRs.

Long after I got things to settle down by assigning IPAs outside of the common range. Putting the DVRs outside the set range of 0.101-0.200 in the 200s with 5 IPAs between the DVRs. Then they started to do the same with each other. So back to one DVR connected to the LAN and using MoCA for the other. Worked great for a while. Then the Internet errors started popping up on the MoCA device. I tried every hook up I could think of. Still an issue somewhere. So I went all out and connected both H3s to both the LAN and WLAN and so far things have been going good. Although I am getting MoCA notifications of 23, 22 Internal Resets, on the hardwired one and 22 on the MoCA H3. It doesn't seem like D¡SH knows how to network.

In the middle of this I had the Top/Bottom Port issue and for a long while I had to switch ports and reset the network a lot. I would show an Internet connection and speed in the 250-400Mbps range on my Gigabit LAN to a 940Mbps connection, from the "Send Status" page. But all of the other pages that dealt with networking, showed no Internet connection.

I was talking to TS about this and it was being thought to be a failure physical or software with the LAN that couldn't be found until complete failure. So we're waiting . . .

Since the moment D¡SH boxes were connected to a LAN, I have had all kinds of wildness. The DVRs would constantly be grabbing a different IP Addresses stepping on devices that already had the address. Then that other device bumped another and the dominoes fell. So much so that the network would get really slow until I unplugged the DVRs.

Long after I got things to settle down by assigning IPAs outside of the common range. Putting the DVRs outside the set range of 0.101-0.200 in the 200s with 5 IPAs between the DVRs. Then they started to do the same with each other. So back to one DVR connected to the LAN and using MoCA for the other. Worked great for a while. Then the Internet errors started popping up on the MoCA device. I tried every hook up I could think of. Still an issue somewhere. So I went all out and connected both H3s to both the LAN and WLAN and so far things have been going good. Although I am getting MoCA notifications of 23, 22 Internal Resets, on the hardwired one and 22 on the MoCA H3. It doesn't seem like D¡SH knows how to network.

In the middle of this I had the Top/Bottom Port issue and for a long while I had to switch ports and reset the network a lot. I would show an Internet connection and speed in the 250-400Mbps range on my Gigabit LAN to a 940Mbps connection, from the "Send Status" page. But all of the other pages that dealt with networking, showed no Internet connection.

I was talking to TS about this and it was being thought to be a failure physical or software with the LAN that couldn't be found until complete failure. So we're waiting . . .
Does your router have reserved IP capability? I keep all my DISH stuff and printers in my router reserved section.

Remember the only box that should be connected to only the Hopper.

The rest of the Joeys get their internet connection from the Hopper using a bridged connection over the Moca network. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Remember the only box that should be connected to only the Hopper.

The rest of the Joeys get their internet connection from the Hopper using a bridged connection over the Moca network.
"Should", eh?
  1. My installation tech from Viasat hooked up both on both my Joeys.
  2. I unhooked one of the J3's and put it in a room w/o coax (just GigE) and it works indistinguishably to how it worked on both.
  3. My LAN is hooked into the bottom port on the H3.
  4. I do not have the OP's problem and never have.
I hope I didn't jinx it! I did notice that my Joeys, when connected to both Ethernet and MoCA, seem to use either/or and not both at once, according to the status page. I think software is supposed to take care of this problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts