Horrible Mpeg-4 Upgrade Experience in Atlanta (Long-Sorry!)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
ScottL said:
I’ve been lurking here literally for years and I’ve received some great information. I had to join and relate my absolutely horrible experience trying to get the Mpeg-4 HD upgrade in the Atlanta area. Sorry for such a long and negative post for my first one.

I’ve been a DTV customer for seven years. I subscribe to the Total Choice Platinum package and the HD pkg. I’ve been following the Mpeg-4 LIL rollout here and when I read that Atlanta had been turned on and customers were scheduling their upgrades, I called and scheduled mine.

After three calls and numerous transfers, I was finally able to get a hold of someone who knew about the upgrade and was able to schedule one for me. I was charged $99 to my bill for the installation, receiver upgrade and new dish. I was told on the phone that the installer would be taking my old HD receiver. The installation was scheduled for 12-7 between 1-5pm. I had to take half a day off from work to do this, but I was excited so I did it.

On Wednesday the 67th, I arrived home at around noon to wait for the installer. I received a call from the installation company at about 3 pm telling me they would have to reschedule due to the fact that they were out of dishes. I was disappointed, but I knew this was a new system, so I rescheduled for the following Saturday, 12-10 between 8Am –noon. I received an automated phone call from the installation company on Friday evening confirming my appointment for Saturday between 1-5PM (!). Now, since I no longer knew just when in the day they would arrive, I readjusted some responsibilities to make sure I was here all day to wait for them.

At around 9Am on Saturday I received a call from the actual installer the company had assigned my work order to. He explained that he would not be coming as he was on the North Carolina/Georgia border; about 100 miles away and he didn’t understand why they gave him the WO instead of someone more local. He apologized and said he would be calling his installation company to have it reassigned.

I called DTV and after relating this story to the three separate individuals I was transferred to, I found someone in Advanced Technical Support who contacted the local installation company. He said that they would be calling be right back to arrange to get someone else out to me that day. He also gave me the installation company’s number and a direct line to his department in case something went wrong. He assured me everything was taken care of.

I waited several hours for the call from the installers which never came. I called them and after being transferred several times, I was told that the soonest they could come out was Tues, Sept 13th. My blood pressure reached critical and I told them that was unacceptable and hung up to contact DTV at the number the last rep gave me.

I was transferred and had to retell this story several more times until I reached the Advanced Technical Support department again. I unfortunately let my emotions control me and even though I was civil on the phone, I told the DTV rep that I was fed up and to cancel my upgrade and that I was through with attempting to get my HD locals. I told him I was almost ready to cancel my service and get cable again. It had gotten me that upset. Instead of trying to work anything out, he cancelled the WO, and transferred me to someone who began to disconnect my service completely. Now understand, I did mention this in my anger, so I suppose I asked for it, but never once did I raise my voice or accuse the reps at DTV of making the mistake. I told them I knew it was the fault of the local installation company. I did expect them to try to make things right somehow. Instead, I received disinterest and disconnection. They were ready to let $125 a month and a long term customer walk without a fight.

I immediately called Comcast and scheduled an installation for September 20th. Now that I’ve cooled off, I really would like to stay with DTV, but their lack of caring for the issues I had make me wonder if I shouldn’t move on. Is there anyone at DTV I can contact to straighten this fiasco out?

Scott, i feel your pain. Apparently DirecTV's customer Service has gone WAY down hill. I went through the same issue with returning my reciever even though i had the tracking #. Then DirecTV shut down all of my recievers with out any explanation and all the CSR would tell me is "Write to this PO Box".

Your best bet is if you really want the mpeg 4 dish is to call 888-355-7530 # and ask to speak to a supervisor. Then when they get on explain to them what happened. Tell them you're at your witts end and that your arn't satisfied in the level of customer support you recieved. Tell them you want the HD Upgrade package at no charge and don't budge from that. If she wont do it call back until someone else does. Sad part is None of the Call Centers seemed to be linked that well, so you might just get lucky.

Good Luck.
Jeff

I did do that and I had a new appointment scheduled for the upgrade on 12/17. It still isn't installed. I did the unthinkable (for me) and called Comcast and set up an installation appointment for 12/20. We are going to compare both for a month and shut off one or the other after we live with Comcast and their DVR for a month.

ScottL said:
I did do that and I had a new appointment scheduled for the upgrade on 12/17. It still isn't installed. I did the unthinkable (for me) and called Comcast and set up an installation appointment for 12/20. We are going to compare both for a month and shut off one or the other after we live with Comcast and their DVR for a month.

Comcast bought my cable company out, i'm hoping they have better channels. Right now the only advantage to upgrading to the mpeg4 reciever is getting HD fox/nbc/abc/cbs. I already get them with Cable so i'm not really forced to upgrade.

Plus from what i've been reading comcast seems to have more HD Content. We'll see what happens in the future.

lots of luck
Jeff

pyrr said:
Comcast bought my cable company out, i'm hoping they have better channels. Right now the only advantage to upgrading to the mpeg4 reciever is getting HD fox/nbc/abc/cbs. I already get them with Cable so i'm not really forced to upgrade.
Plus from what i've been reading comcast seems to have more HD Content. We'll see what happens in the future.
lots of luck
Jeff
Unfortunately their installers, equipment, customer service and overall HD picture quality are the pits. My neighbor had them out 4 times just to get the HD equipment install done right. Now that school is out, maybe they'll have more installers available (LOL :D ).

i called retention today to confirm my at-9 upgrade 12-23 (this is the fourth time) i had them call ron"s tv make sure they had the dish and would be there they said
no problem we will see :rolleyes:

Well I am here this AM waiting for my 4th install!!! I was assured I would be the first stop of the day since they had canceled on 3 previous dates. Guess what it's 11:15 AM and not a word from them as yet. Looks like the 4th time is not the charm either!!!! Going to go with cable this afternoon and forget these idiots.

They finally showed up exactly at 12:00 and did their best to get out of doing the install. They finally did a roof mount, but have to come back later to install the support arms they did not have with them when they arrived. Their supervisor was supposed to bring the supports arms to them but went to another job instead with them. The installers have to meet him and come back with the arms. I hope they make it back, but if past results are any indicator of future expectations then I will not hold my breath.

Install went quickly and everything seems to be working great. In my opinion PQ on the H-20 is better than with the H-10. I should be able to do some comparisons as they left the 3 LNB dish hooked up to the HD-TIVO.

i finnally got my upgrade today was set for 8-12 they showed up at 12:15
it took him about 2 hours seems to be working good. :D

(problems) ron"s tv left the dish loose it blew out of alinement today
i called direct tv they are sending them back 12-23 i hope
they do not miss three apointments again :mad:

Rupert definitely seems to be going with the lowest bidder for customer service and installs. Its a shame to see D* going down the tubes. They had the greatest customer service for years.

sound like I would go Comcast. at least there not running "Hd Lite" and being in the Atlanta area, I'm sure they would have your locals already in HD.

cablewithaview said:
sound like I would go Comcast. at least there not running "Hd Lite" and being in the Atlanta area, I'm sure they would have your locals already in HD.
pradike said:
Unfortunately their installers, equipment, customer service and overall HD picture quality are the pits. My neighbor had them out 4 times just to get the HD equipment install done right. Now that school is out, maybe they'll have more installers available (LOL :D ).
Sound like that market is having all sorts of "issues" wiht multiple providers, when it comes to HD.

Hey ScottL,

If you really want to keep DirecTV, then call a local dealer, and pay them what ever they charge, to put in the dish assy. Then call DirecTV and tell them that you have already had the dish put in, and you would like to get the upgraded receiver... That way, you will get quality service and someone who cares about your business...

Claude Greiner said:
I think the Dish is around $100 and can be purchased online. Would it be worth it to buy the Dish ahead of time so the installer can't use it as an excuse not to come out at the agreed upon time?

Hey Claude, the Small Dealer can provide the Dish and installation for approx. $250.00 and would eliminate all of the BS that comes out of RTV and any other of D* people... Why waste any more time with D* and their incompetent people???

Doctor Bob said:
Hey ScottL,
If you really want to keep DirecTV, then call a local dealer, and pay them what ever they charge, to put in the dish assy. Then call DirecTV and tell them that you have already had the dish put in, and you would like to get the upgraded receiver... That way, you will get quality service and someone who cares about your business...

I was going to do that, I was told I still have to sign a contract. I have talked with different ones at different levels. I hate both Dish and especially DirecTV. Both has proven nothing to me. I would consider one of two choices or both, C Band and/or cable.

Doctor Bob said:
Hey Claude, the Small Dealer can provide the Dish and installation for approx. $250.00 and would eliminate all of the BS that comes out of RTV and any other of D* people... Why waste any more time with D* and their incompetent people???

Because that's $150 that he doesn't have to spend. I know I wouldn't do that. Why pay when you can get it for free?

Me? I'm the kind that doesn't have to have it right now. If I can save $$$ and maybe have to wait a couple of weeks, that's fine with me.

I just wanted to reply to all of you. Ron's tv and sigital satellite services are the same company. Ron's tv is a HSP for Directv for the Georgia region and is not or never was involved with voom. Directv sends limited number of dishes and hiDef receivers to each Hsp. Sorry for all your problems. The ones who waite to get the new five LNb dish installed will be glad. Not all the satellites are up and running. The dish has to fine tuned but since all the satellites are not working we can not fine tune them. So everyone who has had the install will most likely need a tech to reallign the dish. Hidef tivo are not compatible with the new dish and will not get locals in hidef. So do waite on these. Hope you all have better luck. With all future upgrades.

DIRECTVINSTALLER22 said:
I just wanted to reply to all of you. Ron's tv and sigital satellite services are the same company. Ron's tv is a HSP for Directv for the Georgia region and is not or never was involved with voom. Directv sends limited number of dishes and hiDef receivers to each Hsp. Sorry for all your problems. The ones who waite to get the new five LNb dish installed will be glad. Not all the satellites are up and running. The dish has to fine tuned but since all the satellites are not working we can not fine tune them. So everyone who has had the install will most likely need a tech to reallign the dish. Hidef tivo are not compatible with the new dish and will not get locals in hidef. So do waite on these. Hope you all have better luck. With all future upgrades.

installer 22, rons tv is a MSP NOT a HSP

wait is spelled wait NOT waite,

HD tivo is compatible

ya know what, ive been doing this for 6 years, now i KNOW WHY THE SUBSCRIBERS BITCH!

bob, sbca #b0350

ps,,, rons TV was listed as a voom dealer/installer

I had issues with Digital Satellite Services....the one in Austell ga. I think they handle all calls west of Roswell......I couldn't get the office manager to return my calls....she had no idea what I wanted and still would not talk with me......I had to call Ron Phillips`in Piedmont SC...he used NEXTEL and she called me mmediately....RON"S TV 1 864 846 0000..... Ron seemed like a good guy....he might have problems in Austell however.....I think the office manager couldn't get a job at city hall in Atlanta....

waite

Bill

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.