Horror Story with local installer

Status
Please reply by conversation.
thanks for trying to help guys. i have an H10 receiver w/ a 3 LNB.

no, he didn't install the antenna for the local channels. this is the problem. i don't like this indoor antenna at all and i'm going to take it back asap.

you guys know a lot more than me. what are my options here?

Eric Goempel said:
If you can see the towers than a set of rabbit ears are all you will need to pick up the signal.

Actually, the digital locals are on UHF, so a loop antenna would work better than rabbit ears, unless the rabbit ears also came with a loop :)

The clock is ticking on channels 2-13....

kryten98371 said:
Actually, the digital locals are on UHF, so a loop antenna would work better than rabbit ears, unless the rabbit ears also came with a loop :)

The clock is ticking on channels 2-13....

What is your reference? Why is the clock ticking on 2-13?

stevo/65 said:
The reason the clock is ticking on Ch 2-13 , the days of analog are coming to an end.

Channels 2-13 will still be used when analog has ended. It is the higher numbered channels, above 51 I think, that are going away.

When Will the DTV Transition Be Complete?

Television stations serving all markets in the United States are airing digital television programming, although they can continue providing analog programming until February 17, 2009. At that point, broadcasting on the current (analog) channels will end and most of that spectrum will be put to other uses.

Until February 17, 2009, most television stations will continue broadcasting on both their digital and analog channels.

http://ftp.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.html
http://www.dtv.gov/

Decent install a week late

I took D* up on there rebate for hd the day before the lease program started. I called ahead to make sure I would get the 5 lnb dish because I can not receive anything ota. When the D* installers show up, guess what, yep, they have a 3 lnb dish, myself working for a local telephone company knows it's not always the tech/installer's fault. A quick call to D* to share my displeasure started with a disconnected phone call, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and called back, after 15 minutes on the phone, the problem was escalated. The man mentioned we were right and we asked for a next day install, he said what about next week then offered us $10 bucks off our bill for 6 months which I gladly took since I'll basically get my hd for free for half of the year and at least the guy who installed it was cool and for what I can tell did a good job with a roof install, I live in the woods so not a big deal. The installer was from Martinsburg, WV, forgot the guys name but he seemed to be a well versed installer/tech.

sportsfan42 said:
I took D* up on there rebate for hd the day before the lease program started. I called ahead to make sure I would get the 5 lnb dish because I can not receive anything ota. When the D* installers show up, guess what, yep, they have a 3 lnb dish, myself working for a local telephone company knows it's not always the tech/installer's fault. A quick call to D* to share my displeasure started with a disconnected phone call, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and called back, after 15 minutes on the phone, the problem was escalated. The man mentioned we were right and we asked for a next day install, he said what about next week then offered us $10 bucks off our bill for 6 months which I gladly took since I'll basically get my hd for free for half of the year and at least the guy who installed it was cool and for what I can tell did a good job with a roof install, I live in the woods so not a big deal. The installer was from Martinsburg, WV, forgot the guys name but he seemed to be a well versed installer/tech.

the same thing happened to me with the phone call to D*, the hang-up, wanting to schedule another install, etc.

i'm starting to get really frustrated and i'm getting the feeling that somehow we are all going to get screwed in the end.

I had a super experience with my installer a few weeks ago. I had been told by DirecTV that the installer would be giving me a 3LNB dish since I wasn't in an area that was scheduled for local HD channels for quite some time. However, the installer arrived on time and when I asked him as he exited his truck, he smiled and said he had a brand new 5LNB dish for me (as well as the H20 and 3 D11s). He also said that he did NOT recommend mounting the heavy dish on a roof and he had a pole, post-hole digger, and concrete ready for the job. He also arrived exactly on time (8:00am)which was nice. He mounted the dish on a pole about 2 feet from the back corner of my house (in a spot I didn't think was possible) and is nicely unobtrusive (and which is also about 3 feet from where my phone lines come in from underground). He did a VERY good job routing the wires in a very clean manner - and used a cable which combines a phone line with the RG6 for one of my rooms where the TV was on opposite side of the room from an existing phone jack. He did a very professional job and thoroughly went over the features of the remote and setting up the H20. He also did not rush. He arrived at 8:00am and left at 12:30. He said it was only the 4th H20/AT9 combo he had installed - but I was very impressed. He knew his stuff. The signals from all the satellites registered in the mid 90's on the D11s and in the mid 70s on the H20.

I was very happy with this experience. I tipped the guy $20.00 - even though he at first refused it and I had to press him to take it. I think such good service deserves reward. The cost of my install (not counting the tip): $0.00. No trying to charge me for a pole, no excuses, no problems. Just wonderful. I also made sure to call the company he works for and tell them how pleased I was with his work.

Last edited:
Kentuck1163 this guy that did all that for free , just sounds to good to be true. Or maybe he had just finished doing something illegal (if you know what i mean)before he showed up to your house.

The guy arrived in a nice, clean, Directv van -- although he works for a major installer/service provider in the area. He was professional to the core. Said he had worked for Primestar years ago. He really did do a super job. He said that besides mine, he had two other jobs scheduled for that day - although one was an apartment install that he did not think would be possible.

Definitely not the kind of service I expected after reading the horror stories in here -- especially since I live in Mississippi and service down here is notoriously bad.

I could not believe how good a job he did making sure the cables were bound well and routed cleanly. The guy was definitely good.

I just thought I would add a "good experience" story. Too often people are much more willing to post negative experiences because they are all fired up about it. Moral of the story is there ARE some really good folks out there who still do quality work.

Last edited:
Most of the installers I know including myself always try to be professional and do a good job and in the 5 year I have been doing this I have never charged for a pole. The companies I have worked for provide that free of charge to the customer. But just like anything else the squeaky wheel gets the grease. People rarely compliment a great job but they will get on here and b**** to high heaven if they are not satisfied. It sounds like he worked for a HSP, if you want to really help this guy out give his local office a call and tell them who you are and what a great job he did. Anyway I think it is great you took the time to say you had a good install.

I'm not directing that at the OP just responding to kentuck1163.

Last edited:
kentuck1163 said:
The guy arrived in a nice, clean, Directv van -- although he works for a major installer/service provider in the area. He was professional to the core. Said he had worked for Primestar years ago. He really did do a super job. He said that besides mine, he had two other jobs scheduled for that day - although one was an apartment install that he did not think would be possible.

Definitely not the kind of service I expected after reading the horror stories in here -- especially since I live in Mississippi and service down here is notoriously bad.

I could not believe how good a job he did making sure the cables were bound well and routed cleanly. The guy was definitely good.

I just thought I would add a "good experience" story. Too often people are much more willing to post negative experiences because they are all fired up about it. Moral of the story is there ARE some really good folks out there who still do quality work.
Hey Kentuck1163 , sounds like you have done this before. I guess the tech was talking to you about future appts of his day was professional? Most HSP or MSP outfits that i know of, charge to put a pole in the ground. You were lucky to have somebody come to your location and do all that work for free.

stevo/65 said:
Hey Kentuck1163 , sounds like you have done this before. I guess the tech was talking to you about future appts of his day was professional? Most HSP or MSP outfits that i know of, charge to put a pole in the ground. You were lucky to have somebody come to your location and do all that work for free.

He told me about his other appointments for the day because I was curious about how many installs he was expected to do each day and I asked him. I was also feeling a bit guilty as my install was taking so long. I just looked back at the papers he left and he arrived at 8:02am and actually did not leave until around 1:10pm. I watched him do most of the install, so we had time to chat quite a bit.

hottub said:
I am not sure where to start with this,but her goes. On Friday March 3rd we had a supervisor come out and do a realignment for us. In my conversation with him I asked about the new AT-9 dishes and the H20 Boxes. He then smiled and said oh yea we are already installing them would you like me to come back Monday and do yours at no cost. So at thinking here we go a good deal something for nothing i jumped at the chance and said yes see you on Monday. So Monday arrives and no one comes out so time to call the local installer. I get a hold of the same supervisor and he says I am sorry but we ran out of the poles needed to mount the dish they will be in Wends day. Its now Wends day and still no one shows so back on the phone I go and the excuse now is he left too early and the poles came in after he was already on the road, so now he says he will be out on Thursday. So now we see where this is going yes Thursday came and still no show this time he said I had to call D* and generate a Ticket which I did and got an appointment for Saturday. So on Saturday someone does show up from D* and tells me I have no poles but I can go buy one at a $75.00 charge to you and then I lost it. So I told he can just leave if thats the best idea he has and then I called retention. The lady and the phone was very nice after I had explained my story and went ahead and gave us a $99.00 cedit which was our cost for the H20 and a $75.00 credit for which th installer wanted to charge us for the pole. Now we had another appointment yesterday in which the local office was doing our install. So here we go again the guy show up and I see him walk to the back of the house where our dish is mounted now then he knocks on the door. Needles to say she showed up with no pole to do this job. So back to phone we go again this time I had D* on the phone with the local installer on a 3 way call. I thought the retention lady was going to die listening to the lies the local installer was telling me but still we got still again no install. So I called D* back again and got a supervisor and I told him how upset I was and that I am thinking that D* is not worth going though this and that I am just thinking of cancelling the service. So after missing 6 days off work this was he offer to me to keep us as a customer. A $20.00 missed appointment credit and $5.00 off our monthly bill what a joke. OH yea we still have another apppoint next Tuesday to get the install done and I told him I want the installer here at 1 and that he better plan on staying for at least 4 hours to do this job. BTW if anyone has a direct number to retention we would love to have it :mad:

With all due respect..are you nuts?..I would have told them to go anally electrocute themselves.
"we ran out of the poles needed to mount the dish they will be in Wends day"
This has to be the best excuse to not do a job ever in the history of lazy assed installers..Look I have been in this business for 8 yrs..I have heard every dopey excuse under the sun....
I have a simple solution..The tech should have gone to Lowe's or HD and bought a pole..He could then go to his boss for reimbursement..The bottom line is for the the tech to service the customer and get the job done..That is why we are here..This is how we make our living....
The credits you were offered are a joke....
Now, I must point out that you are not entitled to a specific time for an appointment..We have more than one job each day and things can occur which keep us longer than expected.....we work with time frames..The custs presence is required during that time frame which is for ARRIVAL..Not the time the job will be completed in..Typically what I will if I run into a problem is alert my proceeding custs I wil be running late....but I will never give them a specific time of arrival nor will I allow a customer to dictate to me what time I will get there. Also, you really have no idea how long the job could take..Please do not consider the time spent as a yardstick for quality of the job.....That's not how it works..Remember, the tech you get may not be the one that came without the pole the first time..To avoid an unpleasant install experience avoid taking out your frustrations on the new tech.

hottub said:
Draggon just my way of making him waste his whole day like i wasted 6 days:)
Now you are getting on my nerves.You have no right telling a tech how long he must stay at your home..The job is done when it's done...Whart are you going to do, try to detain the tech?....
You know you are not going to try to physically restrain him, don't you....
please be rational..If you are planning on venting your frustrations with DTV on the tech, he has full discretion as to whther he will stay and take your crap or just walk away from the job..
We are talented hard working people..We are professionals. Just like any other skilled trades man..Have some respect.. We are not your "hired help" for the day. Let the man do his job and leave him alone....You'll get much better service.

chaotic646 said:
I am a new D* customer as well and Im having a similar problem as you. When my tech arrived, he immediately started trying to talk me out of the new KA KU dish. He said that he was not allowed to roof-mount it because of its weight. He told me to call D* and have them change his order to a 3lnb dish. I told him I didnt want the 3lnb, I wanted the KA KU for its mpeg-4 capabilities. He then told me that if I wanted it he would have to pole-mount it and that would cost me $75. I thought that was BS since they told me it was free installation. So I called D* and they said to pay him the $75 then they would credit it back to my bill. I said fine and asked the tech if he would take a check. He then said that he didnt think he could get a line of sight from a pole-mount and that I had no choice but to have the 3lnb put up. I said fine just get my dish going.

A couple weeks later a QC guy from D* showed up unexpectedly and said he needed to check the tech's work. I told him what happened and he said the tech was full of crap, the KA KU 5lnb CAN be roof-mounted as long as they put up braces for it. He also said that I had a perfect line of sight even if he would have pole-mounted it. Apparently, the tech just didnt want to have anything to do with the KA KU dish because it takes a lot longer to put up and align, and he doesnt get paid any more.

I called D* back and they apologized and said they would send a tech out yesterday between 1-5. I took off work early so I could be home by 1. The tech called me at 4:30 and said he wasnt going to be able to make it until 6-6:30. He finally shows up at 7:30 and kept emphasizing how hard it was going to be because it was dark. So I said "just reschedule it then, Ive went through enough BS as it is with you guys, one more isnt going to matter." So now they are supposed to come back out Monday after 2:30. So far, this is the most unorganized, unprofessional business Ive ever dealt with.

ple mounts are for the most part included...We do not charge extra $$ for pole mount..exception, if the cable burial is excessive we charge for the extra distance..Firts 50 ft is included..However if DTV alows the charge ,you must pay up...roof mounts are not conddered too heavy..That's bull.....every dish array has an availble roof type mount..Sounds to me like the tech didn't want to do a roof mount....If the roof was too steep to get out on I would have found a safe place to mount the dish or just did the pole mount to get the job done..If no safe pace on the roof is available and a pole mount is the only option and it is chargeable, you must pay for the pole mount..We don't work for free..Check the fine print..Free installation is for a STANDARD installation. Extras are chargeable..I run into this all the time..Custs wanting extra work done for free by invoking the "free install" card...There are additional exp[enses the tech has to incur, he has every right to pass those along tot he consumer..That's how business works...

Eric Goempel said:
should have made him stay and do it in the dark. I would have made him mount it on a pole and gave him a check- but scan a copy first to send to D*. It is not your fault he messed up the 1st time, then made you miss work while he did not make the appointment time. I would also ask D* to "credit" u for the holes in your roof to the tune of 6 mouths free HBO-show-etc.

give it a try.
"Made him stay"?Surely you jest.....
I would have done the job out of courtesy to the customer but no one is going to "make me" do anything....
We are required to roll out on the job but not required to do the job...If there are extenuating circumstances that prevent a safe working environment then the job must be rescheduled..
noe in fairness, it is not your fault the tech was late..I believe the tech should have called you much earlier to alert you of his impending tardiness. again out of courtesy to the customer,I pre call my custs the night before to give them an idea what part of the time frame I expect to be at their home... If I am going ot be late or easlry ,I wil give them a heads up call..People love that stuff...I invariably get a favorable reaction from a courtesy call.....
But please. you nor anyone else is going to force anyone to do anything...

wobbie said:
Keep calling those 800 numbers people.... ever heard of buying local and getting local service.... I have no pity, just the way this business is going with the low paid overworked, undertrained so called technicians that D* and E* are have to hire nowadays..... they are installers... not technicians, sorry.
" low paid overworked, undertrained so called technicians that D* and E* are have to hire nowadays..... they are installers... "
Yes, that applies to the company employees, not the contractors hired by my employers..they only hire experienced techs..First screw up and you get the "pray to Jesus" meeting..next time yer outta there...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)