Using H20 with non hd directv dvr?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Questioner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
I am in an area that will probably not see local stations in hd for 7 or 8 months, and would like to avoid paying 4 or 5 hundred for an hd directv dvr that will eventually be useless.

I have been trying to figure out a way to see some hdtv content through directv (even if its not local networks) while not losing complete use of my non hdtv directv tivo. Currently, we have a triple lnb dish which supplies 2 satellite wires each to dual tuner dvrs in a few rooms in the house, including the room I would like to see some hdtv in.

Is it possible to remove one satellite cable from the back of a dvr and use that cable with a new h20 directv hdtv receiver, which would mean watching live tv and occassional hd programs on the h20, while using the one remaining tuner on the dvr for recording and watching non hdtv programs, as I realize you can't record hd programs with it. Since I have a fancy harmony remote and plenty of inputs, it should be easy enough to switch back and forth. Only drawback would be not being able to record two non hd programs at once, and I would have to pay for an additional receiver per month.

My other question is, is it advisable to let directv install the newer 5 lnb dish, and how this would affect this proposed setup, I'd like to avoid running new wires through the house. I know you need this dish for mpeg 4 broadcasts, is all hd content on directv, including non local channels already mpeg4 or soon will be?

Thanks.

Last edited:
1) Yes you can hook up the H20 and only use one tuner in the Tivo.

2) The new dish has the multiswitch built in just like the Phase III, you wouldn't need additional cabling for your current set up. Only local HD channels are MPEG4 currently, at some point, the others should start moving over in the future, those plans haven't been annouced yet.

When I get local HD's in my area, how will i know if i have MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 already set-up?

Well, you need the newer at9 or 5 lnb dish AND the h-20 hdtv directv receiver, that's the only way to get the mpeg 4 channels I believe.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)