Horror Story with local installer

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yes but who expcts hurricanes and tornados as normal weather..
Question...would you walk away from an install you know could get done on the roof but no other place on the property?

No I would not walk away. Just commenting on the silly 125 mph deal. But down here on the gulf coast hurricanes are a yearly event. So when you install a dish down here you need to consider high winds because you can count on at least two huricanes every year.

Last edited:
My employer pays me 24$ per pole mount and 8$ per wallfish extra, provided i bring a picture of the work and the front of the house. It keeps guys from ducking burying cables and attics.

Here is the reverse side of a E* "service agreement", listing what is a standard installation and what is not. My employer universally ignores this. Today, we had a tif because our FSM wanted someone to go to Tupelo. Too Far! We don't get paid extra for driving 2 hours, so it costs our employer nothing. But since we have our own trucks, of course, it costs us more. We get nothing for poles, but they cost US (poles cost $7+ PER JOB). I'm finding that of the 6 of us that are left, we're all pretty much fed up with it. Maybe we will start to see something called a TEAM gel. One of our guys hasn't got a check in a while. They "lost" the paperwork, but even though they can research and find out what they owe him---they have him twirling in the breeze. Totally not his fault, but they aren't stepping up. Not cool.

They are always commenting how they can get new techs, but when we jerk our chains.......we aren't fired. The FSM told us today if anybody does that again, they'll be looking for a new job. We were like, No, you'll be looking for some new techs.

Attachments

• ds.jpg
    ds.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
stellar832000 said:
I also had a similar problem with a Directv installer, I ordered the new H20 and a high definition antenna for the OTA locals, my installer calls before he comes and tells me that he does not have the antenna because it was not on the order... but he can drive 40 miles to get one if i pay him 50 dollars for the antenna and 20 for the installation, I called directv and they told me that there was nothing they could do about the problem because it is not on the order and unless I wanted to reschedule I had to negotiate it with the installer, so i went ahead and paid the installer 70 dollars for the antenna and installation, all goes well and just before the installer leaves i notice that there is no signal on my OTA channels, the installer says that there is not supposed to be a signal unless there is a basketball game on because right now they are the only things broadcasting in HD (yes he actually said that) I was so amazed by how stupid he was I let him leave and called directv, I told them what happened and they send out another installed to fix the problem, they specifically told me that it would be a DIFFERENT person, the day comes and its the same person! he said that he knows what the problem is and its that he needs a pole but that I have to buy it out of pocket, he said he would be back in two days to see if i got the pole, I got the pole and two days later he was a no show, I called directv to complain and they told me that they would send out a Lead Installer to handle the problem, I told them that was hard to believe because that is what they told me the first time, anyways so the day comes when the Lead Installer was supposed to come and the SAME installer came to my house and said that even though the work order requested a lead he thought it would be ok if he took it! I was furious, I sent him away and called directv and asked for a supervisor, after arguing with a rude rep (that was the first time I had a rude rep by the way) and they credited me 50 dollars...fine i settled...then yesterday i see that there is a charge on my account for 50 dollars and no one at directv knows what it is for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! needless to say i wanted to hurl my system through the window

Why am I not surprised......

detroittech said:
My employer pays me 24$ per pole mount and 8$ per wallfish extra, provided i bring a picture of the work and the front of the house. It keeps guys from ducking burying cables and attics.
8 Bucks for a wallfish?!!!!!!!! that's terrible...Don't do them for that..It's a rip off....I view a wall fish as a potential for disaster...I am very careful not to run my driil bit thru the drywall etc....Wall fishes are timne consuming work and deserve a good amount of compensation.DForutanelty the peole I work for recognize the talent the techs they have and are very happy to pay for it....i have heard thru the grapevine that many installers in the sat and cable businesses will not do wall fishes at all.....8 dollars! I would take that 8 dollars and tell your boss to use it as a baby wipe.

I've done many of my own wall fishes in less than 15 minutes from start-to-finish, but I've also had a few others take more than 2 hours...each situation is different. I'm not a professional installer, but I've done enough of my own work to realize there is no way in hell I would accept a flat $8 fee for this type of work.

riffjim4069 said:
I've done many of my own wall fishes in less than 15 minutes from start-to-finish, but I've also had a few others take more than 2 hours...each situation is different. I'm not a professional installer, but I've done enough of my own work to realize there is no way in hell I would accept a flat $8 fee for this type of work.

I agree. 2 story wallfishes can take time. Fishing into finished basements can take time.

vurbano said:
Bologna, Ive done them in my own house in about 10 minutes.:rolleyes:
Glad to see you're such an expert..
Look all of your rationalizing isn't going to change the fact that it's extra work..So , get out your checkbook or do it yourself....
I have run into cheapskates like you on occasion..I ALWAYS get paid....Or I take a walk..NO ONE is going to tell me I have to work pro bono....That's for lawyers....
end of discussion..

dishcomm said:
Glad to see you're such an expert..
Look all of your rationalizing isn't going to change the fact that it's extra work..So , get out your checkbook or do it yourself....
I have run into cheapskates like you on occasion..I ALWAYS get paid....Or I take a walk..NO ONE is going to tell me I have to work pro bono....That's for lawyers....
end of discussion..
so walk, no one is forcing you to work for free.

I'd use a quarterstaff. Preferably a buck and a quarter quarterstaff.

Also from Robin Hood (the Daffy Duck and Porky Pig version)

dishcomm said:
8 Bucks for a wallfish?!!!!!!!!

I've done free ones, but I won't do them alone. Best believe the customer is putting his time in that attic. I'll drill the hole, but if somebody is crashing through the ceiling, it ain't gonna be me. Hell, even if you make $100 a fish, the first time you slip up, you've lost money. I'm staying the hell out of the attic if at all possible. Its all fun 'n games until you have to file an insurance claim.

Last edited:
When I upgraded my system, the installer showed up 4 hours late and then asked me if I had ever installed a system before. I told him that I had installed about 5 systems before, he then asked me if I would install the system myself if he gave me the cable. Even though I knew how to install the system, I made him do it, after all he was getting paid. Anyways, he screwed up the install and I wound up helping him (or should I say, showing him how to install the system). After he left, I called Directv and told them what had happened. The first person I spoke with didn't seem a bit interested, but when I talked to a second person, they gave me a 2 month credit on my bill.

Steve

CFLUSFLWFL said:
When I upgraded my system, the installer showed up 4 hours late and then asked me if I had ever installed a system before. I told him that I had installed about 5 systems before, he then asked me if I would install the system myself if he gave me the cable. Even though I knew how to install the system, I made him do it, after all he was getting paid. Anyways, he screwed up the install and I wound up helping him (or should I say, showing him how to install the system). After he left, I called Directv and told them what had happened. The first person I spoke with didn't seem a bit interested, but when I talked to a second person, they gave me a 2 month credit on my bill.

Steve
if that guy worked in the shop I do, he'd be so fired his trousers would have scorch marks...
That is unprecedented that a supposed professional installer would show up at a custs home and do that...
Here's the deal..I am not naive..There are alot of shlubs that have tools and pick up truck and they call themselves satellite techs..As far as I' m concerned all techs should have to be SBCA certified level 2 (of three) to do residential installs....
At point of sale the cust should be advised of this and also to ask for the techs SBCA card when they show up for the job....Furthermore, if the tech doesn't have his card the customer should send hm on his way..PERIOD....If the tech misplaced or "forgot" his card..Too bad.....If a person isn't responsible enough to handle something so simple as a piece of plastic, they certainly shouldn't be trusted with care of someone's home.... JMO...If was the supervisor my policy would be if you forget your card once we have a "prayer meeting"..second time, you're gone...End of story..
Yes I realize I am a hard ass about the standrds..But I have seen enough garbage installs to think that literally half of the people who call themselves sat techs should find another line of work....JMO

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)