Horse Racing or National HD

What would you rather have?

• 80 channels of Horse racing for $50 per month.?

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • HD Platinum for $10 per month?

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Any new channels HD or SD are better then horse racing?.

Votes: 99 63.1%
  • We Have enough HD, Bring on the Horse racing.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Sports Packs Like MLB and NFL

Votes: 21 13.4%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 16 10.2%

• Total voters
Depends on what equipment you add; for programming on a single receiver DirecTV can't touch Dish pricing. For many receivers, yes, you can get by a little cheaper with DirecTV.
Not necessarily. Even with one receiver or one DVR, Direct can have an advantage on price for the packages most subscribe to (those in the middle).

For example these two comparable packages are the same price. Once you add anything (DVR, HD, locals, or extra receiver), Direct is much cheaper.

D*:

$58 for Total Choice Plus (200+ channels)
$6.00 for DVR service (All DVRs on the account)
$10.00 for HD
$5.00 for HD extra (the HD only channels)
locals included

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to Dish's website:

$58 Classic Gold (250+ channels)
$5 for locals
$10 for HD access
$10 for Platinum HD (similar to D* HD Extra)
$6 for DVR service (each DVR)

Exactly -- DirecTV's minimum revenue per subscriber has a higher threshold tolerance than Dish. They can't afford to offer the $9.99/mo Welcome pack, the $19.99 Family pack, or any of the lower-cost reduced channel TurboHD packs that Dish network can.
They can't, or they choose not to because they are not going after that demographic, or choose not to because they don't need to? I think it is one of the later two.
Again, the financial numbers from Q1 says it all when it shows that Dish is driving more net income on almost half the revenue of DirecTV. The agreements that D* has forged to carry all the different sports packs are great from a consumer perspective, but it's weighs them down pretty significantly compared to Dish.
Direct's revenues are down because they added so many subs; while Dish's are up for the opposite reason. It cost to add new subs and keep them. It has little to do with sports packages.

I voted for the 80 channels of horse racing because all the other options you have there are things that either already exist, will not be affected, or will not happen. In other words, I don't think the horse racing channels will impact what Dish is going to do in the future. I certainly don't think it means that you're going to get "less" HD/SD channels. If there is a will for E* to get a channel to you that would allow them to buff their rates - then you can be as sure as hell they will find a way.

I really don't think this impacts what Dish is going to or not going to do. If there is one benefit of this - it's that Dish finally has something that is "unique" to Dish. I think there is a lot of panic here without finding out more details. You're assuming that this programming is taking away other programming but no one knows that and my guess is that if anything - it's taking away from programming that you wouldn't have gotten anyway.

D*:

$58 for Total Choice Plus (200+ channels)
$6.00 for DVR service (All DVRs on the account)
$10.00 for HD
$5.00 for HD extra (the HD only channels)
locals included
Its $75.99 for Choice HD/DVR pack
and $4.99 for HD extra Pack.
Total $80.98
Total Choice Plus has been out of the works for over 2 years now.

Top 250 with HD/ DVR and Locals
Is $77.98 ,That also includes about 50 more music channels then D*,
Encore Pack with The Movie Channel west and the Movie Channel Extra west,
Fox Soccer, ESPNU, Outdoor, Plus more HD programming then D*
$10 Platinum Pack also carrys about Double what D* Extra pack carrys.
Total $87.98. Plus this also will include another room of SD service.

Your right , They have a lot of satellites out there. So put the Gambling on a satellite thats not being used to provide TV veiwing for the rest of us.
If that happends ,Great!
But if it doesn't there's going to be a lot more Unhappy E* customers then ever.

So your plan is to start a thread about every future thing that someone might do ? :eek: :eek: :eek:

That sounds more like a TiVo. I have had recording issues with every TiVo I have ever owned and yet to see an single recording issue with the HRs (mine, friends, or family).

I am happy to hear you have such great luck, unfortunatly that has not been the exerience of some. He was installed about 2-3 months ago so this is a HR.

I am happy to hear you have such great luck, unfortunatly that has not been the exerience of some. He was installed about 2-3 months ago so this is a HR.
It is more the norm than anything. I would be willing to bet that over 90% of all subs have not had an issue (at least anything major) with the their HR. You only hear about those few that do since people whom do not have problems are not going to post anything. You can also look through the Dish folders here and see numerous threads and/or posts on VIP issues as well. That does not make it the norm however.

That would be a MAJOR issue in my household. All the interactive features in the world wouldn't make up for PiP, not to mention the grief my wife would give me.

When comparing Dish to Direct pricing don't forget you have to pay more for extra HD and DVR receivers upfront with Direct. I've done lots of comparing between the 2 companies and Dish beats Direct in most comparable packages.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)