How common are BUD's in your area?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hey guys, I have 15 years old BUD (yeah I paid 3500 for it) that is still moving! It got zapped by lightning some 10 years ago and needed aligning. I just didn't have the time back than-too bussy working, than my son died so I didn't care......
Me and my BF using now computers plugged to 42" LCD for watching things on line but I am curious if it would be worth to bring the old dish up to date? My BF thinks I'm nuts and tried to get rid of the dish several times in past, I always stopped him.
He is fairly skilled when it comes to electronics, so it could be fun too.
The dish is some metal mesh that is peeling now. I forgot what size but I think 8" or more.
Uniden receiver. I wonder how much stuff is there free to receive. I am Czech so maybe I would be able to get some channels in Czech? Just wonder. Digital conversion seems expensive.
I wonder if there is any possibility to convert this dish to catch some deep space noise, or using it for some other fun? Some other type of communication, etc.
The company that I got this dish from is still in business, so we could get info there but I think it would be cheaper to buy parts on internet.
Am I really nuts to try to revive this dinosaurus?
Thanks all for input.

Here in WV ...there are a lot of them. unfortately many are fiberglass c band only buds.
I guess whoever was selling those big heavy fiberglass ones really got around here back in the day. You always see a pizza dish on the house with those buds...so i guess that means they don't use them anymore.

i am starting to see a few 75-90 cm ku fta dishes on the homes of foreign exchange students.

I seen a geat setup up the from the street . This dish was larger than 12 foot. it's placed on-in the roof , on its back pointing up at a very slight pitch. ( There are no poles at all ) It's built into the roof. The dish is recessed into the roof is what i mean. Im sure the roof was designed with the dish in mind when the home was built. You can seen that it has some motors if you look close. How this turns I have no Idea. it looks very tight. You would not seen it if driving by ., I was walking my dogs and never knew this house had such a large dish on it. It's larger than 12 foot for sure. This is one big house.

There is a few other homes I seen with 8 and ten foot dishes. I think Im going to go the C- dish route and foget calling dish. I just dont see dishnet as a hobby fro me.

As for your question. I see lots of DN and Direct TV coming down or that I took down myself. I seen a few new Buds going up monthly. I know from doing electrical work in homes that some people are installing buds, and some want their small dish removed. I run the power for Buds. I dont install the dish or set it up. just the underground power from the panel. The rest are disconnecting from comcast DN , and DTV, Its true. I could fill large 25 yard dump truck with DN DTV dishes that I took down in the last year. Lots of people are triming the family budgets. I seen the FTA dishes going up, two on my street. and another FTA dish the next street over. I only do the powers runs when a sat-dealer call up. They cannot run high voltage with out permit and have to be a lic- electrician. But the large C sat dealers are a more busy with commercial install of large 8 foot plus dishes.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)